Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> seat removal?, How to find the "little tab"
john_g
post May 21 2015, 04:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,100
Region Association: Canada

I want to remove the driver's seat on my 914 so that I can check the emergency brake switch (my emerg. brake light is constantly on). I know I'm supposed to slide the seat forward as far as it will go, and then reach under the left side of the rail and push up on the "little tab," but I'll be damned if I can find it with my fingers. I've used a mirror and a flashlight to see if I can spot it, but I can't see anything that way either. Any help on how to find it?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
john_g
post May 21 2015, 04:23 PM
Post #2

QUOTE(john_g @ May 21 2015, 03:13 PM) *

I want to remove the driver's seat on my 914 so that I can check the emergency brake switch (my emerg. brake light is constantly on). I know I'm supposed to slide the seat forward as far as it will go, and then reach under the left side of the rail and push up on the "little tab," but I'll be damned if I can find it with my fingers. I've used a mirror and a flashlight to see if I can spot it, but I can't see anything that way either. Any help on how to find it?

Found it! I was reaching under the rear if the rails, but the spring loaded tab is reached from the front of the rails.

Now let's hope that the problem is just a stuck switch.
+Quote Post
Harpo
post May 21 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,469
Region Association: None

A screw driver has worked best for me. I simply jam it in and that has always unlocked that tab. Ever since restoring my seats & seat tracks I removed the safety tab.

DAvid
+Quote Post
john_g
post May 21 2015, 04:35 PM
Post #4

Okay, the switch isn't stuck - the brake light is still on. Now what do I check?
+Quote Post
robby750
post May 21 2015, 04:45 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 521
Region Association: South East States

Try pushing the reset button on the master cylinder.
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 21 2015, 04:59 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

QUOTE(robby750 @ May 21 2015, 03:45 PM) *

One if you have a new master cylinder with only one wire. The two wire switches that originally came on the car don't have a reset switch.
+Quote Post
john_g
post May 21 2015, 05:14 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(robby750 @ May 21 2015, 03:45 PM) *

Thanks. How do I get to the reset button?
Is it also possible that I have low brake fluid pressure?
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 21 2015, 10:52 PM
Post #8

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left. Then look into the driver's front fender. You'll be able to look into the side of the steering rack bay, above the gravel pan. The master cylinder should be there, bolted to the firewall. Look for the wire or wires plugged into it. There should be a button in between the two wires, covered by a rubber cover. Press the cover in, that should press the button.

In this case, I disagree with McMark. The original two-wire senders did have a reset button. There are also senders without reset buttons, which reset on their own, but I don't think they were used originally on 914s.

--DD
+Quote Post
mr914
post May 22 2015, 03:27 AM
Post #9

914 Hillbilly

Member No.: 131

Reset button? Never seen one myself. What years?

I've mostly played with early cars. Pre 75

I've found rust/corrosion water based damages to be the culprit myself. Either it's the master cylinder ot the switch at the lever. Or sometimes in between...

I disagree with Harpo in removing the catch. It's there to prevent over extending the seat...

Sorry for taking this a little off topic, but it's fitting.

When we were 20, or at least I was... We had the smoking hot babe (a spinner) that wanted to learn how to drive a clutch/drive a Porsche, and we were happy to oblige for a benefit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) And we slid the seat forward, with difficulty, and it over traveled... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spank.gif) So much for the fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif) now the PITA of getting the problem resolved ( rusted/broken tab/can't get the seat back after so you can drive..), getting back to civilization and try to recover from the situation.. Situational analysis, went from 100% to 5% with much expense and damage control. Seat went forward to accomidate 5'2" hottie, could not move back to allow me to drive without shortening legs 6" and losing 50#. Had to have her drive home, listening to gears grinding and smelling clutch burning (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Made best of situation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) and limped car home next day

Hmm, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) how many of us went thru this in the late 70s or early 80s? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Some of us were not even born yet...

May you have a similar situation in your youth, enjoy, make the best of it, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) wrap the wraskle, and treasure the memory.

It's happened to most of us, at least once in our lifetime.

Most of mine was in a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
robby750
post May 22 2015, 08:29 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 521
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mr914 @ May 22 2015, 05:27 AM) *

Reset button? Never seen one myself. What years?

I've mostly played with early cars. Pre 75

I've found rust/corrosion water based damages to be the culprit myself. Either it's the master cylinder ot the switch at the lever. Or sometimes in between...

I disagree with Harpo in removing the catch. It's there to prevent over extending the seat...

Sorry for taking this a little off topic, but it's fitting.

When we were 20, or at least I was... We had the smoking hot babe (a spinner) that wanted to learn how to drive a clutch/drive a Porsche, and we were happy to oblige for a benefit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) And we slid the seat forward, with difficulty, and it over traveled... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spank.gif) So much for the fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif) now the PITA of getting the problem resolved ( rusted/broken tab/can't get the seat back after so you can drive..), getting back to civilization and try to recover from the situation.. Situational analysis, went from 100% to 5% with much expense and damage control. Seat went forward to accomidate 5'2" hottie, could not move back to allow me to drive without shortening legs 6" and losing 50#. Had to have her drive home, listening to gears grinding and smelling clutch burning (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Made best of situation. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) and limped car home next day

Hmm, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) how many of us went thru this in the late 70s or early 80s? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Some of us were not even born yet...

May you have a similar situation in your youth, enjoy, make the best of it, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) wrap the wraskle, and treasure the memory.

It's happened to most of us, at least once in our lifetime.

Most of mine was in a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

In 1976, I was out late one night carousing with my buddy in my 914. We happened upon a couple of coeds at a restaurant. They were a little drunk and needed to get home about 25 miles away. We did the right thing and convinced them they were way too drunk to drive.. The solution was to give them a ride so I took the top off and we all crammed in the car and drove them to their apartment in 30 degree weather. I think I finally got home at daylight.
+Quote Post
john_g
post May 22 2015, 08:38 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 21 2015, 09:52 PM) *

Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left. Then look into the driver's front fender. You'll be able to look into the side of the steering rack bay, above the gravel pan. The master cylinder should be there, bolted to the firewall. Look for the wire or wires plugged into it. There should be a button in between the two wires, covered by a rubber cover. Press the cover in, that should press the button.

In this case, I disagree with McMark. The original two-wire senders did have a reset button. There are also senders without reset buttons, which reset on their own, but I don't think they were used originally on 914s.

--DD

Thanks, Dave. I'll give it a try this afternoon when I get back home.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 22 2015, 08:55 AM
Post #12

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

the wire to the brake is hot and the switch itself provides the ground to the chassis? can't remember.
+Quote Post
john_g
post May 22 2015, 03:08 PM
Post #13

--DD

I located the spot where the switch should be. I have a one wire system, it seems (see photo). I couldn't really feel any button, but I pushed on the white plastic area anyway, and the light is now off! Problem is, that's the good and the bad news, 'cause now it won't go on when I pull on the hand brake.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
john_g
post May 22 2015, 09:58 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(john_g @ May 22 2015, 02:08 PM) *

--DD

I located the spot where the switch should be. I have a one wire system, it seems (see photo). I couldn't really feel any button, but I pushed on the white plastic area anyway, and the light is now off! Problem is, that's the good and the bad news, 'cause now it won't go on when I pull on the hand brake.
Attached Image

btt: advice anyone?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:24 AM