Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time to Document my Survivor 1973 2.0L
914Next
post Jun 22 2015, 02:07 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,695
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 22 2015, 03:20 PM) *

Terrific documentation of a beautiful 914.

Noticed the black plastic threshold plates, interior door latch bezels and side window winders...those are 1974 model year features. Factory must have used 1974 model year items because this is a late VIN 1973 car, do not recall seeing another 1973 with these features.

Thanks Jeff. I had heard questions about the plastic threshold plates and original style rivets but I had not heard anything about window crank handles or door latch bezels. Was the bezel chrome previously?

Very interesting to see what the factory did in some of these situations. Happy to provide other info or pics if you ever need it.

Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Jun 23 2015, 09:50 PM
Post #42

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(914Next @ Jun 22 2015, 01:07 PM) *

Noticed the black plastic threshold plates, interior door latch bezels and side window winders...those are 1974 model year features. Factory must have used 1974 model year items because this is a late VIN 1973 car, do not recall seeing another 1973 with these features.

Thanks Jeff. I had heard questions about the plastic threshold plates and original style rivets but I had not heard anything about window crank handles or door latch bezels. Was the bezel chrome previously?

Very interesting to see what the factory did in some of these situations. Happy to provide other info or pics if you ever need it.

Steve

Those 3 features pointed out by Jeff - the black plastic threshold plates, interior door latch bezels and side window winders - are the same as my car, which was built in June '73.

The feature that puzzles me about your car (I might have mentioned this already) are the white headlight surrounds. I don't know when the switch was made to black surrounds but I've read that it took place mid model year and coincided with the switch to black plastic threshold plates. I couldn't find a picture of your compliance sticker but if I did my math right, your car was built April 26th, 1973 ... 9 months into the model year. I guess it once again shows how the running changes can be difficult to pin down to a specific date.
+Quote Post
914Next
post Jun 24 2015, 04:11 AM
Post #43

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jun 23 2015, 11:50 PM) *

QUOTE(914Next @ Jun 22 2015, 01:07 PM) *

Steve

Those 3 features pointed out by Jeff - the black plastic threshold plates, interior door latch bezels and side window winders - are the same as my car, which was built in June '73.

The feature that puzzles me about your car (I might have mentioned this already) are the white headlight surrounds. I don't know when the switch was made to black surrounds but I've read that it took place mid model year and coincided with the switch to black plastic threshold plates. I couldn't find a picture of your compliance sticker but if I did my math right, your car was built April 26th, 1973 ... 9 months into the model year. I guess it once again shows how the running changes can be difficult to pin down to a specific date.

Agree Dave. I'm still learning about these cars. Your build date calc was pretty good. Which means the oddity would be the white surrounds?

Steve

Attached Image
+Quote Post
MDG
post Jun 27 2015, 07:14 AM
Post #44

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018
Region Association: None

My '73 is a late March build and also still has the white surrounds. although it still has the earlier aluminum threshold plates and trim bits. The 914 2.0 badge on mine in chrome too.

Maybe they had more of the white surrounds left in inventory and they were the last item to switch over?
+Quote Post
914Next
post Jun 27 2015, 07:39 AM
Post #45

QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 27 2015, 09:14 AM) *

My '73 is a late March build and also still has the white surrounds. although it still has the earlier aluminum threshold plates and trim bits. The 914 2.0 badge on mine in chrome too.

Maybe they had more of the white surrounds left in inventory and they were the last item to switch over?

Actually I've been meaning to ask about the rear badging also. I have noticed that some are chrome and some are black. Mine is black, and have been wondering what was original on the '73. Sound like this may have been a changeover also.

Seems to have been a move to a "black-out" theme in late '73....my window cranks, threshold plates and door lock surrounds as well as rear badging are all black. The anomaly for my car is the white headlight surrounds.

Was there a shift mid-production to black badging?

SteveAttached Image
+Quote Post
MDG
post Jun 27 2015, 11:02 AM
Post #46

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

Correct. The change over to the black trim for the 74 model year actually started towards the end of the 73 production run. There are lots of late 73's with the black badging, threshold/carpet trim etc.

I'd guess yours was one of the first ones to start the switch over, and like I speculated, they still had some white headlight surrounds to use up.
+Quote Post
mrgreenjeans
post Jul 12 2015, 05:24 PM
Post #47

mrgreenjeans

Member No.: 7,520
Region Association: Northstar Region

My serial numbered 0089 model year 74, has all those same features as your car does, but has the chrome bullets and chrome washer nozzles. It is a 60,000 mile original from Montana, via Bismarck, then Fargo.
It has a thoroughly documented history as well, built in August of 73. The plastic surrounds on the lights are black.

Your 2.0 litre is familiar, having seen it a few times at our local Porsche events..... I did not know Jim was selling it. How did it come to be advertised and where ? How did you catch wind of it in your part of the world ?

I am happy it has gone to a great new home with a loving and knowledgeable caretaker as yourself. It is as amazing yet today as it was the last time I saw it ..... GREAT car, GREAT owner, and may it bring you a boatload of Concours wins and joyous occasions. I love it....... (somewhere I believe I have photos of your car next to mine at a PCA event, and will share them if I can locate them.)
+Quote Post
914work
post Jul 13 2015, 08:19 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 13,762

Beautiful car. Love all the orig detail.
One question: hard to tell from the photos but what is securing the outer rockers? Alum Rivet's?
+Quote Post
914Next
post Jul 14 2015, 03:43 AM
Post #49

QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Jul 12 2015, 07:24 PM) *

My serial numbered 0089 model year 74, has all those same features as your car does, but has the chrome bullets and chrome washer nozzles. It is a 60,000 mile original from Montana, via Bismarck, then Fargo.
It has a thoroughly documented history as well, built in August of 73. The plastic surrounds on the lights are black.

Your 2.0 litre is familiar, having seen it a few times at our local Porsche events..... I did not know Jim was selling it. How did it come to be advertised and where ? How did you catch wind of it in your part of the world ?

I am happy it has gone to a great new home with a loving and knowledgeable caretaker as yourself. It is as amazing yet today as it was the last time I saw it ..... GREAT car, GREAT owner, and may it bring you a boatload of Concours wins and joyous occasions. I love it....... (somewhere I believe I have photos of your car next to mine at a PCA event, and will share them if I can locate them.)

Thanks, MR. GJ's. Sounds like you have a great car too. Would love to see pics. Our '73 also has chrome washer nozzles. Not sure what you mean by chrome bullets?

Would love to see a pic of our car with yours if you can find it. I did not know that Jim was ever involved in any shows or PCA. He has never mentioned that. I'll have to ask him.

I heard about the car after posting on 914World that I was looking to buy an all-original -6 or 2-liter -4. I looked at a couple of -6's but then Erik who had just purchased the car from Jim emailed me to tell me that he had heard that the car was for sale, purchased it. Erik told me that he bought the car as a summer driver but then realized it was far to clean and original to use that way. Erik only owned the car for two months. Was thrilled to find out about the car.
+Quote Post
914Next
post Jul 14 2015, 03:45 AM
Post #50

QUOTE(914werke @ Jul 13 2015, 10:19 AM) *

Beautiful car. Love all the orig detail.
One question: hard to tell from the photos but what is securing the outer rockers? Alum Rivet's?

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, the rivets are aluminum. They have never been removed.
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Jul 14 2015, 06:32 PM
Post #51

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(914Next @ Jul 14 2015, 02:43 AM) *

Not sure what you mean by chrome bullets?

Just a guess but I reckon he means the silver button gauges that carried over to the very earliest of the '74 model year cars ... another model year change that didn't happen at the start of the model year.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jul 14 2015, 06:57 PM
Post #52

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

What a great 914! Your pictures make me want to do an original restoration!

All the best!
+Quote Post
914Next
post Jul 15 2015, 05:14 AM
Post #53

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jul 14 2015, 08:32 PM) *

QUOTE(914Next @ Jul 14 2015, 02:43 AM) *

Not sure what you mean by chrome bullets?

Just a guess but I reckon he means the silver button gauges that carried over to the very earliest of the '74 model year cars ... another model year change that didn't happen at the start of the model year.

Got it. Thanks.
+Quote Post
914Next
post Jul 15 2015, 05:15 AM
Post #54

QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 14 2015, 08:57 PM) *

What a great 914! Your pictures make me want to do an original restoration!

All the best!

Thanks. In my view it's even more impressive in person. I plan to focus on the underside thsi winter. Will then provide pics of that well-preserved area also.
+Quote Post
CooltimesJr
post Nov 10 2015, 02:01 AM
Post #55

Member No.: 19,314

in complete and total awe about this one...
+Quote Post
914Next
post Nov 10 2015, 06:02 AM
Post #56

QUOTE(CooltimesJr @ Nov 10 2015, 03:01 AM) *

in complete and total awe about this one...

Thanks, Cool. If you are ever in ATL let me know. Happy to meet and show you the 914.

Steve
+Quote Post
CooltimesJr
post Nov 10 2015, 09:04 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 19,314

I will definitely give you a shout if I'm down that way!
+Quote Post
Dion
post Nov 27 2015, 11:05 PM
Post #58

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Steve, that is a fantastic and stunning 914. What a history lesson and preservation.
Many happy years of motoring wished for you & Sara. Just beautiful!
+Quote Post
914Next
post Nov 29 2015, 04:52 PM
Post #59

QUOTE(Dion @ Nov 28 2015, 12:05 AM) *

Steve, that is a fantastic and stunning 914. What a history lesson and preservation.
Many happy years of motoring wished for you & Sara. Just beautiful!

Thanks, Dion. Appreciate the comments. You also have a beautiful car! Love the diversity of skills and interests on this forum. There is no way I could build a a car like yours. Which, I guess makes me a good fit for the caring and preservation of survivors role. Enjoy....
+Quote Post
Last930
post Mar 22 2016, 03:15 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 17,905

I know I'm late to this thread, but just read through it and must say - what a car! I am about to jump into my 73 2.0 and head home from work; these are great fun cars !
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:59 AM