Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time to Document my Survivor 1973 2.0L
914Next
post Mar 22 2016, 07:29 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,695
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Last930 @ Mar 22 2016, 05:15 PM) *

I know I'm late to this thread, but just read through it and must say - what a car! I am about to jump into my 73 2.0 and head home from work; these are great fun cars !

Thanks for the nice comments, Last. I admire those of you who are driving them regularly. I love my survivor but once in a while would love to have one just to do exactly what you're doing!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Last930
post Mar 24 2016, 10:28 AM
Post #62

Member No.: 17,905

The trade off between maintaining a car in pristine original condition and using it as it was meant to be used is a tough one, especially when you have an original car as nice as yours. I just finished having a major mechanical restoration done on my '73 2.0; the cosmetic part will commence in the next 6-8 weeks. My goal is to drive it when it's finished; not sure how I'll actually feel about stone chips, door dings etc once it's completely finished.
Regardless, that is a incredible car you have. I hope you drive it some, at least on those nice sunny days!
+Quote Post
914Next
post Mar 24 2016, 11:03 AM
Post #63

QUOTE(Last930 @ Mar 24 2016, 12:28 PM) *

The trade off between maintaining a car in pristine original condition and using it as it was meant to be used is a tough one, especially when you have an original car as nice as yours. I just finished having a major mechanical restoration done on my '73 2.0; the cosmetic part will commence in the next 6-8 weeks. My goal is to drive it when it's finished; not sure how I'll actually feel about stone chips, door dings etc once it's completely finished.
Regardless, that is a incredible car you have. I hope you drive it some, at least on those nice sunny days!

Yes, I do drive it....just drove it today in fact. Beautiful day here in ATL. I probably drive a bit under 1,000 miles per year. A nice balance of preserving and enjoying.

I see you live in IL. what part? I used to live in Wisconsin and the northern burbs of Chicago. Just moved here six years ago and love it. Heading to WI today...Door County to visit my wife's parents.

Steve
+Quote Post
Last930
post Mar 25 2016, 08:46 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 17,905

I'm in the western suburbs; born and raised. Went to school in Wisconsin up north on Lake Superior- pretty darn cold!! Door County is a really cool place. Good you're driving the 914 some - you have some other cool cars!
+Quote Post
914Next
post Oct 2 2016, 04:47 PM
Post #65

Took the front bumper off and did a bit of cleaning. Before and after pics. Was pretty clean in the before pics considering I'm sure the bumper had never been off the car.

Before:

Attached Image

After:

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Next
post Oct 2 2016, 04:53 PM
Post #66

Couple more of cleaning behind the bumper

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
22truckie
post Dec 5 2016, 07:14 AM
Post #67

Member No.: 20,138
Region Association: None

Great car!!!!! I am like you,an originality person. I/we have 2 other unrestored cars,a 1969 Olds 442 convertible in black/gold trim and interior and the other is a 1970 Torino fastback with very rare factory NASCAR engine ( only made 400 ). Both are near perfect 99% untouched. I have the Mayan Green 1975 unrestored 914 posted here. I have done some more cleaning and will update my posting. Cheers to an amazing car!
+Quote Post
914Next
post Dec 5 2016, 09:53 PM
Post #68

QUOTE(22truckie @ Dec 5 2016, 08:14 AM) *

Great car!!!!! I am like you,an originality person. I/we have 2 other unrestored cars,a 1969 Olds 442 convertible in black/gold trim and interior and the other is a 1970 Torino fastback with very rare factory NASCAR engine ( only made 400 ). Both are near perfect 99% untouched. I have the Mayan Green 1975 unrestored 914 posted here. I have done some more cleaning and will update my posting. Cheers to an amazing car!

Thanks truckie. I have been following your thread also and have been looking forward to updated and additional pics on your progress. Really look forward to seeing more of that car. Love the color!

Steve
+Quote Post
914Next
post Feb 19 2017, 01:48 PM
Post #69

Recently Cal (Jeff) had a question about original headlights so while I was out checking mine out I decided to do a bit of cleaning. Doubt the headlight buckets had ever been cleaned but they were really not very dirty at all. Also took a magic eraser to the white headlight surrounds also. Did a nice job of taking most of the light staining off.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Notice the black marking in the bucket on the driver side? Looks like a number "5" that was then written over and made a "6". Has anyone ever seen this before?

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Feb 28 2017, 07:05 AM
Post #70

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Somebody screwing around at Karmman? How many beers with lunch? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
914Next
post Aug 20 2017, 06:50 PM
Post #71

Had a couple of hours this weekend to do some cleaning/detailing on the underside of the "73. It was liberally undercoated which means that everything is fairly well covered including the belly pan, wheel wells, cable, lines, etc. I'd prefer that the undercoating was not there although the car was a Minneapolis car. The original owner never drove it in the winter though, and hardly ever in the rain so it would have probably survived fairly well even without the undercoating.

Decided to take off the air deflectors and removed the undercoating on them. They cleaned up very well and the bolts even had most of the original cad plating on them.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cal
post Aug 21 2017, 10:38 AM
Post #72

Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(914Next @ Aug 20 2017, 08:50 PM) *

Had a couple of hours this weekend to do some cleaning/detailing on the underside of the "73. It was liberally undercoated which means that everything is fairly well covered including the belly pan, wheel wells, cable, lines, etc. I'd prefer that the undercoating was not there although the car was a Minneapolis car. The original owner never drove it in the winter though, and hardly ever in the rain so it would have probably survived fairly well even without the undercoating.

Decided to take off the air deflectors and removed the undercoating on them. They cleaned up very well and the bolts even had most of the original cad plating on them.

Attached Image

That looks great. The underside of my car is also covered in undercoating. What did you use to clean the deflectors?
+Quote Post
914Next
post Aug 21 2017, 04:31 PM
Post #73

QUOTE(Cal @ Aug 21 2017, 12:38 PM) *

QUOTE(914Next @ Aug 20 2017, 08:50 PM) *

Attached Image

That looks great. The underside of my car is also covered in undercoating. What did you use to clean the deflectors?

I used a plastic tool that is used to pry door panel cards off of doors. You can buy these tools in several shapes and sizes and they actually come in very handy when you want to use a lever or scraper that is not metal but still has some "bite". These tools work well for scraping the heavy stuff off and then the mineral spirits or paint thinner do the clean-up. I'm going to tackle cables and misc other lines next. Not sure I'll ever tackle the huge job of removing all of the undercoating like Steve did on his Sahara Beige car.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:42 PM