Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Engine Bay Shelves, Are They Structural?
riverman
post Feb 22 2005, 08:15 AM
Post #1

Learn As I Go

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,466

I'm doing some extensive work in the Hellhole (pics to follow on my progress thread) in preparation for a future V8 install. The shelf on the passenger side is totally gone - a victim of rust - but the driver side and the cross-shelf(?) that attaches to the firewall are completely intact.

Do these shelves do anything structural like adding to the body stiffness or rear suspension stiffness? If I cut them out do I need to compensate with some other type of body stiffener?

I figure if there's going to be a V8 in there, and I don't need the shelves for cooling flow, I should just remove them and give myself more room for my future install, but I am concerned with retaining the integrity of the rear suspension. Any thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
riverman   Engine Bay Shelves   Feb 22 2005, 08:15 AM
skline   I am not 100% sure on that one, My V8 car still ha...   Feb 22 2005, 08:33 AM
Bleyseng   No, they are there just to seal the cooling tin to...   Feb 22 2005, 08:58 AM
914GT   http://www.914world.com/bbs2/h...   Feb 22 2005, 09:42 AM
scott thacher   do you mean some thing like this, i stole this pic...   Feb 22 2005, 11:21 AM
riverman  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 02:43 PM