Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transmissio notes, 31 pages of DVD supplementation
Dr Evil
post Jun 6 2015, 07:01 AM
Post #1

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

This was posted a long time ago but stopped working after some changes were made when we suffered the DDOS attack (from what I understand). So, after seeing another post on how to post a PDF, and seeing someone doing it, I figured I could do the same. This helps a lot as I have to have people contact me directly for a copy and it is a PITA for both of us.

So, what is it? It is a copy of my experiences and musings over several transmission related questions that I wrote up a long time ago. Oil questions, LSD/TB diff, shifter and clutch adjustments, probably other stuff. I havent updated it in a while. If you guys see stuff you want to discuss, or things you would like to see addressed, post up and I will try to get on it to further refine things. I will likely post up things that I see, when I do builds, in this tread to keep things more centralized. I have some good pics recently and some very good warnings to go along with them so stand by.

Enjoy!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Trans_vid_sup_COMPLT.pdf ( 199.18k ) Number of downloads: 3016
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Jun 6 2015, 08:16 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,426
Region Association: None

Mike,
Thanks for posting this, page 7 is what I need to do, the change from a tail shifter to side.

I saved and changed the name of the pdf to add 'Dr Evil' to the end. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Dave
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Jun 7 2015, 09:33 AM
Post #3

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

When I open this PDF I get the Hemmings creamsicle article???
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 7 2015, 01:40 PM
Post #4

Our first lesson comes from a transmission that was being driving hard at DE/AX type of events, but the owner thought it a better idea to use 85w140 rather than 80w90. All other parameters of the oil were correct. What you will see is damage due to wear from poor lubrication.

This is the input shaft bearing at the intermediate plate. The inner race (towards the diff) always wears worse than the outer. As you can see, there is a ridiculous amount of wear. The edge of the race can cut your finger. The balls have much missing material.
Attached Image

You can see the race on the inner face of the intermediate plate, broken and moments from detonation.
Attached Image

Here are the spacers that are between some of the gears. They are burnt. They are essentially free floating in that they do not index to the shaft, but the are pinched in place by the gears.
Attached Image Attached Image

Now this was a weird finding. The dog teeth were separating from the gears. I can only imagine that it was due to heat, but it could have been due to prior assembly. Not sure. These are two different gears.

Attached ImageAttached Image

Hard to photo, but there was some wear on the pinion teeth that rendered it unserviceable. Areas of rough metal like it was sanded.
Attached ImageAttached Image

My assumption is that the 140 oil was too thick and did not circulate well. It may not have hit the temp that it needed to reach the lower 85 viscosity. This is the only theory that I feel explains this damage. I have never serviced a box that used this oil so that also makes me blame the oil.

Use only 80w90 GL5!
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 7 2015, 03:00 PM
Post #5

PDF works for me on multie devices. Dunno what to tell you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) You or anyone else can contact me any time for a copy.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 11:28 PM