Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New to 914 World, not 914s
To convert or not to convert...
Go ahead, convert it to a 914/6!
Yes [ 17 ] ** [56.67%]
No [ 13 ] ** [43.33%]
Total Votes: 30
Guests cannot vote 
DRPHIL914
post Jun 8 2015, 06:58 AM
Post #21

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

welcome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

good to see another 914 here in SC! where are you hiding out? there are a few others of us but i seldom ever see another 914 down here in the low country. BillH is up in Orangeburg but the 914's come and go thru his place like its a revolving door!,
One gentleman down here recently bought the green /6 that was restored by Stoddard's, very nice and clean.
regarding your conversion thoughts, do what you want but you may regret changing an original matching numbers car!

consider getting to the Octeenerfest in September? hope you can make that, last year was a blast!

Phil
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 8 2015, 07:51 AM
Post #22

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You are right about any well sorted 914 being glorious. But , the fact is that no matter how much time goes by, a '75 1.8 will remain on the lowest rung of 914 desirability. It's all relative.

Would you put a better stereo in the '75? The only real difference between a better stereo and a better engine is that the engine will give you a much more satisfying sound! That, and it would be even more fun to drive. With a pristine '76 2.0 sitting in the garage, you'll be out blasting around in the hot rod while some other enthusiast is pleased as could be with the 1.8 you sold them, complete with working FI.

Go for it! You'd have the best of both worlds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
driftingcloud
post Jun 8 2015, 06:55 PM
Post #23

Die welt ist flach...

Member No.: 18,310

Ha ha... Yes, my projects have projects.

QUOTE(zambezi @ Jun 7 2015, 10:16 PM) *

looks like you have a few other projects "shelved".

+Quote Post
driftingcloud
post Jun 8 2015, 06:58 PM
Post #24

Die welt ist flach...

Aw, man... My hero. Thanks!

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 8 2015, 08:28 AM) *

It's a 1.8 so who cares (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
It not like it's a '73 2.0 or a LE, etc. On top of that you state you don't care about the value of the car.
Bottom line it's your car do what you want, what ever puts smile on your face, not what other say should be done.

My '74 1.8 was basically the same deal and it could have easily been a concours base model 1.8 with just a paint job....boring.
It's on the tail end of getting a hot rodded 3.0 put in it, then I plan to drive it into the ground.

+Quote Post
driftingcloud
post Jun 8 2015, 07:03 PM
Post #25

Die welt ist flach...

That's perfect. We end up with the best of both worlds, one original and one outlaw.

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 8 2015, 08:19 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

I acquired a 75 that was already back-dated and bastardized, so there was never a thought about restoring to original, however, my wife has a 71 (1.7L) that was totally unmolested. It's in the process of being restored as original as possible.
+Quote Post
driftingcloud
post Jun 8 2015, 07:12 PM
Post #26

Die welt ist flach...

Love the stereo analogy! You're right, the carbureted 2.7L will sound MUCH better!

The gloriousness of 914s extends into crazy little things for me, too, like the richly complicated smell of the 40 year old interior, the satisfying metallic clunk of the door shutting as I prepare for a drive... it's a bit crazy when you connect this much with a machine, but at least I'm in good company here.

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 8 2015, 09:51 AM) *

You are right about any well sorted 914 being glorious. But , the fact is that no matter how much time goes by, a '75 1.8 will remain on the lowest rung of 914 desirability. It's all relative.

Would you put a better stereo in the '75? The only real difference between a better stereo and a better engine is that the engine will give you a much more satisfying sound! That, and it would be even more fun to drive. With a pristine '76 2.0 sitting in the garage, you'll be out blasting around in the hot rod while some other enthusiast is pleased as could be with the 1.8 you sold them, complete with working FI.

Go for it! You'd have the best of both worlds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
driftingcloud
post Jun 8 2015, 07:24 PM
Post #27

Die welt ist flach...

Thanks, Phil... I'm just north of Aiken, SC. It's nice to know there are others "near" me. I always wondered about that.

I don't know that the '75 is numbers matching, but I think it's a pretty safe assumption. If I do the conversion, I'll definitely hang onto the 1.8L and 4-lug suspension parts, so it could go back to original if someone ever desired that.

A quick search (definitely not thorough) didn't turn up anything too useful about Octeenerfest this year. Do you have a link or other information?

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 8 2015, 08:58 AM) *

good to see another 914 here in SC! where are you hiding out? there are a few others of us but i seldom ever see another 914 down here in the low country. BillH is up in Orangeburg but the 914's come and go thru his place like its a revolving door!,
One gentleman down here recently bought the green /6 that was restored by Stoddard's, very nice and clean.
regarding your conversion thoughts, do what you want but you may regret changing an original matching numbers car!

consider getting to the Octeenerfest in September? hope you can make that, last year was a blast!

Phil
+Quote Post
driftingcloud
post Jun 8 2015, 07:28 PM
Post #28

Die welt ist flach...

This seems to be the consensus, one stock and one outlaw. It sounds perfect to me!

20 Phone Dials?!? Are any of them on a 914?

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 8 2015, 01:07 AM) *

I like Phone Dials! Must be why I have 20 of them...

Convert the 1.8 and have fun driving it! Keep the matching # car all stock. Have fun and enjoy them.
+Quote Post
driftingcloud
post Jun 8 2015, 07:31 PM
Post #29

Die welt ist flach...

That seems to be the consensus by a pretty wide (but ever changing) margin. Thanks!

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 7 2015, 10:32 PM) *

HOT ROD
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Jun 8 2015, 07:34 PM
Post #30

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629

Is that the same '76 Nepal Orange that's currently at Black Forest Racing? (That looks like the BFR green/orange race car in the background there on the shelves). If so I saw it in a pic they posted on Facebook not too long ago. Also, I think I saw that car for sale on ebay in (I think) Florida last year. Maybe a different car, but not too many rubber bumper nepal orange cars with black phone dials!
If it's the same car, I'd almost considered bidding on it but I also had a lead on my current laguna blue 2270 that I ended up going with. Great looking car!
+Quote Post
driftingcloud
post Jun 8 2015, 07:56 PM
Post #31

Die welt ist flach...

Thanks... Yes sir, on all accounts! It's exciting seeing your car featured even if it's just a business' Facebook page. Ha ha...

I can't say enough about the quality work BFR (John, Jeff, and Timmy) have put into the metal work preparing the tub. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Had you ended up with the orange '76, you would have been satisfied. It was a good starting point for what I wanted. My silver '75, however, has forever ruined me as to what an unrestored rust-free 914 can really be like.

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Jun 8 2015, 09:34 PM) *

Is that the same '76 Nepal Orange that's currently at Black Forest Racing? (That looks like the BFR green/orange race car in the background there on the shelves). If so I saw it in a pic they posted on Facebook not too long ago. Also, I think I saw that car for sale on ebay in (I think) Florida last year. Maybe a different car, but not too many rubber bumper nepal orange cars with black phone dials!
If it's the same car, I'd almost considered bidding on it but I also had a lead on my current laguna blue 2270 that I ended up going with. Great looking car!
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Jun 9 2015, 08:46 AM
Post #32

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629

Yeah, your '76 looked like a great car!
I was down at BFR last fall with my old '72 that I ended up selling. But I hung out with John and his crew for a couple hours. They're all great guys and very talented at what they do. There was a restoration in progress at the time of another 914world member's Ravenna Green '74. It was in about the same state as your '76 is in in that pic: stripped, on the lift, and they had the metal work done. They took me through everything they'd done to it. Awesome quality work with a high attention to detail to make sure everything they did appeared factory. If that car was anything to go by, your car should turn out amazing!
+Quote Post
driftingcloud
post Jun 9 2015, 02:35 PM
Post #33

Die welt ist flach...

Thanks...

That's my favorite thing about BFR. It's feels like you're just dropping in on good friends. John and the guys are always incredibly busy, do consistently great work, and still manage to make time for everyone who comes through the door. At this point, I really can't imagine anyone else ever helping me with my 914s. (If you're reading this, John, please stay around for a lot longer!) To say he and BFR are passionate about 914s would just be an extreme understatement.

As another connection, I bought my old Cayman S at Leith in your neck of the woods. it was one of the better dealership experiences I've had.

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Jun 9 2015, 10:46 AM) *

Yeah, your '76 looked like a great car!
I was down at BFR last fall with my old '72 that I ended up selling. But I hung out with John and his crew for a couple hours. They're all great guys and very talented at what they do. There was a restoration in progress at the time of another 914world member's Ravenna Green '74. It was in about the same state as your '76 is in in that pic: stripped, on the lift, and they had the metal work done. They took me through everything they'd done to it. Awesome quality work with a high attention to detail to make sure everything they did appeared factory. If that car was anything to go by, your car should turn out amazing!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 10 2015, 06:18 AM
Post #34

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(driftingcloud @ Jun 8 2015, 09:24 PM) *

Thanks, Phil... I'm just north of Aiken, SC. It's nice to know there are others "near" me. I always wondered about that.

I don't know that the '75 is numbers matching, but I think it's a pretty safe assumption. If I do the conversion, I'll definitely hang onto the 1.8L and 4-lug suspension parts, so it could go back to original if someone ever desired that.

A quick search (definitely not thorough) didn't turn up anything too useful about Octeenerfest this year. Do you have a link or other information?

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 8 2015, 08:58 AM) *

Phil

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=251065

click on this.... registration now open - Banner Elk N.C. this year.
+Quote Post
driftingcloud
post Jun 12 2015, 08:50 AM
Post #35

Die welt ist flach...

Thanks, Phil. I saw it, too.

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 10 2015, 08:18 AM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=251065

click on this.... registration now open - Banner Elk N.C. this year.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 10:32 AM