Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can You See Me Smile!?, First drive this evening - and it's fantastic!
thieuster
post Jun 8 2015, 12:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,384
Region Association: Europe

As per title: I took my 914 out for the first time. And, my first drive in a 914. In fact in any Porsche! And... I love it!

Over the last few months, we (the guys at the workshop and I) have been busy rebuilding the engine. It started as a small job - just replacing the pushrod tube seals... it ended as a full fletch: 'the engine is out and why not tackle all?' job.

In the mean time, we searched high and low for rust. And, due to the fact that the car was treated with ML Tectyl (A Swedish wax brand) when it was new, all we had to do was touching up some paint. (3M stone chip coating + a respray). Oh well, I've written about it all. And a respray of the boot under the spare tire.

So, after dinner, I took my daily driver down to the workshop and pulled the car out for a spin. A short spin. The tires on the rims are old, very old... the production date was 1977! 38 y/o tires indeed. The new Vredesteins will arrive tomorrow.

The car runs fine. Some hesitation at low speed, but I don't know how old the fuel in the tank really is! New fuel does cure this sort of problems when I pull my Triumph TR out of hibernation. So there's a chance that it will be gone with new fuel. But the sound when hitting the >4K rpm! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Two questions after the 10 mile trip: the engine temp gauge works - more or less. The needle lifts starts to move, but stops at the very beginning of the scale. Any idea?
Second, the car needs to be 'pointed': steering is not slack, I think. The front end feel light and wanders (is that the correct phrase in English?) a little. Perhaps fresh tires will cure this. Must add that we've lowered the front end about 1 - 1.5". So perhaps a wheel alignement will also help. Any thoughts?

And then the pics, taken in front of the workshop, only minutes after the trip!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i211.photobucket.com-18384-1433789940.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i211.photobucket.com-18384-1433789940.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i211.photobucket.com-18384-1433789941.3.jpg)

Since the paint looks good from a 20 ft distance, I am considering leaving the hub caps off, giving the car a more or less Outlaw look. Again, any thoughts?

Menno
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 8 2015, 01:06 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

First, congrats! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Secondly, don't drive on OLD fuel! That is asking for a lot of trouble... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Yes on the alignment after you get the new tires on there. Make sure you get a full 4 wheel alignment at a shop who KNOWS how to align old air-cooled Porsches and has the correct shims on hand for the rear!
Your average alignment shop will not know how to do this.

Also, i personally like the look of the steel wheels with the hub caps. So my vote is to keep them on there.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
3d914
post Jun 8 2015, 01:24 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

Ditto! Nice looking teener. Feel free to add some video of the drive once you get the tires/alignment done.

Enjoy!
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 8 2015, 01:24 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Alright!

I too like the look with the steel wheels and 'caps. Has a nice classic look to it.
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Jun 8 2015, 02:01 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 8 2015, 12:06 PM) *

Also, i personally like the look of the steel wheels with the hub caps. So my vote is to keep them on there.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 8 2015, 02:04 PM
Post #6

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Very nice Menno! + 1 more on old fuel & classic steel wheels with hubcaps!

If that's the way it came, then keep it true to it's roots, or at least save those wheels if you really really want others on there!

& where is Pat Garvey!!?? .... note the rear fog light!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i211.photobucket.com-18384-1433789940.2.jpg)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Ian Stott
post Jun 8 2015, 02:08 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,635
Region Association: Canada

Nice! Think about the stainless steel fuel lines from Tangerine Racing. Like the hubcaps on better than off. Enjoy your car!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jun 8 2015, 02:16 PM
Post #8

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Awesome! As Sir_Andy said, you need to align at least the front end if you've lowered the car. The front end is likely now in toe-out condition.

There are methods to do alignment in your garage which will at least get the alignment close until you can visit a true alignment shop. The string alignment method is described on Pelican Parts tech section.
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Jun 8 2015, 05:08 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 8 2015, 03:06 PM) *

First, congrats! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Secondly, don't drive on OLD fuel! That is asking for a lot of trouble... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Yes on the alignment after you get the new tires on there. Make sure you get a full 4 wheel alignment at a shop who KNOWS how to align old air-cooled Porsches and has the correct shims on hand for the rear!
Your average alignment shop will not know how to do this.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 8 2015, 06:39 PM
Post #10

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

The hub caps are classy. Keep 'em. Congrats on your accomplishment. Nice work. What name did you give your car?
+Quote Post
driftingcloud
post Jun 8 2015, 08:21 PM
Post #11

Die welt ist flach...

Member No.: 18,310
Region Association: South East States

Gorgeous car! I'm super partial to silver, but it looks amazing with the hubcaps. very classy.

QUOTE(thieuster @ Jun 8 2015, 02:59 PM) *

As per title: I took my 914 out for the first time. And, my first drive in a 914. In fact in any Porsche! And... I love it!

Since the paint looks good from a 20 ft distance, I am considering leaving the hub caps off, giving the car a more or less Outlaw look. Again, any thoughts?

+Quote Post
DblDog
post Jun 8 2015, 08:30 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 3,578
Region Association: Northern California

Is that your shop in the background?...nice architecture too!
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 9 2015, 07:35 AM
Post #13

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Congrats on a such a nice silver 914! Enjoy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jun 9 2015, 09:00 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Other car looks great just the way it stands. I concur with the other advice and would like to add that tire air pressure is important on these cars too.
+Quote Post
thieuster
post Jun 9 2015, 11:31 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 18,384
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(DblDog @ Jun 9 2015, 04:30 AM) *

Is that your shop in the background?...nice architecture too!

Well, I have to admit that I've invested money in the company. And it has always made me happy at the end of the year. The building is on a long term lease, fixed monthly payments for the next 8 or 9 years!

Back to the car: the new tires are installed. Vredestein tires. Also famous in the US, I've heared. For us Dutch, a local brand. The factory is only 40 miles from my home.

So time to take the car out for a longer spin than the previous one. Indeed the car needs to be alignment. Has to be sorted ASAP. But, something else caught my attention: on the first day I got the car, I drove it off the trailer and wasn't impressed by its stopping power. Yesterday and today I was even less impressed. And you guys told me that a 914 has wonderful brakes. Well, mine hasn't! I had to push hard and the effect wasn't too good... The calipers had been replaced in the past, the pads are new, the hoses are new - but still... I am sure you guys guessed it by now! The master cylinder is gone. Not to surprising when you consider the fact that it's all very old and was untouched for 17 yrs. The internals of the cylinder cannot cope with that.

So, I've ordered a new 17mm master cylinder. I hope it will arrive soon!

Menno
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jun 9 2015, 02:25 PM
Post #16

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(thieuster @ Jun 9 2015, 01:31 PM) *

Indeed the car needs to be alignment. Has to be sorted ASAP.

I use this method to adjust the toe in the garage. Only takes a few minutes and will allow the car to handle and feel much better.

Pelican Parts Home Alignment
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 11:34 PM