Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Composite Carbon Fiber 914 parts, No affiliation...looks great.
pete000
post Aug 10 2015, 02:04 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

Speaking of Carbon or Fiberglass hoods. I have heard it is recommended using hood pin locks to secure the hood down. I would love to loose the weight, but I don't want hood pins, I see a couple beautiful 914s in this thread that have composite hoods with no pins. Any concerns or issues?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 10 2015, 07:29 PM
Post #42

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(pete000 @ Aug 10 2015, 04:04 PM) *

Speaking of Carbon or Fiberglass hoods. I have heard it is recommended using hood pin locks to secure the hood down. I would love to loose the weight, but I don't want hood pins, I see a couple beautiful 914s in this thread that have composite hoods with no pins. Any concerns or issues?

Pete,
Mine will have pins but the Getty product is accurate down to having the mount for the original hardware. So, no concern on my part...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dovsky
post Aug 12 2015, 12:38 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 9,402
Region Association: None

For those of you interested in carbon fiber hoods, please note that the price quote shown on page 1 of this thread is for a ready-to-bolt CF hood with a grade-A surface quality. This means a UV-protected, clear-coated scratch resistant high-gloss naked CF finish on par to what you would find on today’s $200K+ sports cars. A lower cost alternative would be a grade-B surface (I think this is what Getty provides but I’m not 100% sure), which means just a bare CF panel requiring a proficient body & paint shop to prep, prime, paint and clear-coat.

If anyone is interested on a grade-B CF hood, I’ll be happy to provide a quote.

Group buys are always welcome.

BTW, no need for hood pins in this case.

Dov

Check out all our products and services at: www.compositedimensions.com
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 12 2015, 04:48 PM
Post #44

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(dovsky @ Aug 12 2015, 02:38 AM) *

For those of you interested in carbon fiber hoods, please note that the price quote shown on page 1 of this thread is for a ready-to-bolt CF hood with a grade-A surface quality. This means a UV-protected, clear-coated scratch resistant high-gloss naked CF finish on par to what you would find on today’s $200K+ sports cars. A lower cost alternative would be a grade-B surface (I think this is what Getty provides but I’m not 100% sure), which means just a bare CF panel requiring a proficient body & paint shop to prep, prime, paint and clear-coat.

Dov

Dov,
I suspect the Getty hoods are Grade-A as most of them I've seen are naked CF and beautiful. Randal just painted and clear coated his leaving a naked number circle in CF. I'm sure yours are fine too...
+Quote Post
db9146
post Aug 12 2015, 04:59 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 3,315

What about a class-A naked CF roof? The 914 looks right with the black roof so a CF one would fit in but be a really nice custom piece. And it would be losing weight where you would want to ...not that the FG roof weighs that much.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Aug 12 2015, 06:30 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

Wouldn't a CF targa bar pad be interesting…….?
+Quote Post
abes914
post Aug 12 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 12,880
Region Association: Southern California

i want a grade b door panels please.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dovsky
post Aug 13 2015, 06:23 AM
Post #48

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 13 2015, 01:48 AM) *

Dov

Dov,
I suspect the Getty hoods are Grade-A as most of them I've seen are naked CF and beautiful. Randal just painted and clear coated his leaving a naked number circle in CF. I'm sure yours are fine too...

My point was that there is a more economical approach compared to what I quoted previously for those that don't need the naked CF look because they're thinking of painting their hoods anyway. I'm just offering a possible alternative. I'm sure the Getty hood is a fine product but no one has been able to provide any technical specs (i.e.: UV-protection, Type of CF, CF to resin ratio, CF to GF ratio if any, weight, etc.). My advice for anyone thinking of spending $$$ on a critical composite part is to conduct a more detailed apple-to-apple comparison first in order to understand what you're really getting. No 2 composite parts from 2 different manufacturers are ever the same. My product's specs are and will always be available for anyone to review.
+Quote Post
dovsky
post Aug 13 2015, 06:30 AM
Post #49

QUOTE(abes914 @ Aug 13 2015, 04:02 AM) *

i want a grade b door panels please.

Do you mean interior door trim panels? If so, then yes we can make them.
+Quote Post
dovsky
post Aug 13 2015, 06:57 AM
Post #50

QUOTE(db9146 @ Aug 13 2015, 01:59 AM) *

What about a class-A naked CF roof? The 914 looks right with the black roof so a CF one would fit in but be a really nice custom piece. And it would be losing weight where you would want to ...not that the FG roof weighs that much.

I think that someone in Germany already attempted to make CF roof tops; I'll look for that thread. In my case, the cost of engineering and producing such product would be much higher to what I think potential customers would be willing to pay. The roof top design is significantly more complex than say a hood. The latching mechanism would need to be adapted to work on a much lighter part and would have to undergo serious tests in order to ensure safety and proper sealing. Keeping noise and vibration within tolerable levels at high speeds would also be a challenge. This would be a great one-off project if cost is not the primary concern.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Aug 13 2015, 01:03 PM
Post #51

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Do you have a rough estimate on costs for a B-grade hood?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 13 2015, 01:45 PM
Post #52

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

Getty CF 911-style dash, now discontinued.

I got one of the few they ever made. Had to be trimmed to fit the roll-cage.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-179-1254889928.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-179-1254889950.jpg)

+Quote Post
dovsky
post Aug 13 2015, 02:18 PM
Post #53

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 13 2015, 10:03 PM) *

Do you have a rough estimate on costs for a B-grade hood?

Here is a bit more than a rough estimate. Please note upfront that group buys are highly encouraged in order to split the tooling cost, it makes a huge difference!
Attached Image

Lead-time: is 6-8 weeks + 1 week for shipping.

Payment Method: PayPal (an invoice will be issued stating all terms & conditions of the sale).

Payment Terms: 75% due upon ordering, 25% due before ship day.

Tooling cost includes main and inner skin molds & consumables. Molds will remain the property of Composite Dimensions.

*B-surface = bare CF finish without any clear coat or scratch protection. It will still require a proficient body shop to mask, prep, sand, prime, paint and apply several coats of clear coat to achieve best results.

The hood skin and the underside skin will be infused separately and bonded together using an automotive grade 2-part epoxy specially designed for composite materials. The end-result will be an ultra-light and incredibly strong single-piece structure with superior mechanical characteristics compared to equivalent steel & fiberglass alternatives. The estimated weight is < 20 kg. By comparison, a fiberglass equivalent weights ~25 Kg (actual weight will be validated after the 1st hood is made).

Hood includes:
mounting points for direct bolt-on.

Hood excludes: mounting hardware (latch mechanism, bolts, etc.). These items can be transplanted from the original hood by the customer.

Fits: all Porsche 914 models years (1970-76).

This quote is valid for 30 days.
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Aug 13 2015, 02:35 PM
Post #54

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I made these at my buddy's shop in my spare time.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images.thesamba.com-9730-1439498143.1.jpg)

He's set-up to make this type of stuff using the infusion process. Here's a time laps of me infusing one of my panel blanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usJl45lVULg

They dance in the light. . .
+Quote Post
dovsky
post Aug 17 2015, 07:08 AM
Post #55

QUOTE(dovsky @ Aug 13 2015, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(db9146 @ Aug 13 2015, 01:59 AM) *

I think that someone in Germany already attempted to make CF roof tops; I'll look for that thread. In my case, the cost of engineering and producing such product would be much higher to what I think potential customers would be willing to pay. The roof top design is significantly more complex than say a hood. The latching mechanism would need to be adapted to work on a much lighter part and would have to undergo serious tests in order to ensure safety and proper sealing. Keeping noise and vibration within tolerable levels at high speeds would also be a challenge. This would be a great one-off project if cost is not the primary concern.

Here, I found the thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=246444
The memeber making these tops is located in Canada not Germany, my bad...
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 10:06 AM