Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rotary 914!, 200whp ; Prepping for Okteenerfest
gabeurgelles
post Nov 18 2015, 04:39 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,389
Region Association: None

I also wanted to try out the helmholtz chamber exhaust system, but since there is WAY too much math involved with that, i just made it adjustable to find the perfect chamber length and then just lock it.
Surprisingly this little chamber changes the tone of the exhaust drastically! The theory behind it being that the chamber will create pulses that will cancel out the unwanted frequencies of the exhaust tone. Normally used to eliminate drone.

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 18 2015, 06:35 PM
Post #42

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Looks great! Do you have before and after clips?
+Quote Post
gabeurgelles
post Nov 18 2015, 07:06 PM
Post #43

Here is a clip of the new exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3x7qZJfIeU
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Nov 18 2015, 07:07 PM
Post #44

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

With the engine running it almost sounds like a small, single cylinder motorcycle engine. But man, that TONE is just killer! That's really a great job and good idea to make the chamber adjustable until you've got it just right. Nice job!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
gabeurgelles
post Nov 18 2015, 07:11 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Nov 18 2015, 08:07 PM) *

With the engine running it almost sounds like a small, single cylinder motorcycle engine. But man, that TONE is just killer! That's really a great job and good idea to make the chamber adjustable until you've got it just right. Nice job!

Thank You! The motorcycle engine sound is what I was trying to go for
+Quote Post
gabeurgelles
post Feb 6 2016, 08:01 PM
Post #46

Well, the engine came out again and this time it took longer than expected. Pulled the engine out to finally eliminate the smoking on idle due to worn oil control rings and oil control ring springs. Once apart I realized that I should just replace everything on the motor that would give me any problems in the near future. After taking them to a very knowledgable rotary engine builder in my area, I was told that I needed new rotor housings! Definitely not an expected cost. Old school housings put me back almost $1,000. While newer generation housings were only about $300. The difference between the housings being that there is a groove cut in old school housings for the water jacket seals while newer ones have grooves on the intermediate plates. Now I could probably find a complete 86+ engine for just over 1k but the old school (Pre-85) make the most power and are built better. So I just had to keep my old school, now the issue was how to make newer housings without a groove work. There IS one guy in all of south florida that can cut grooves into the newer housings but he charges $400 per side. Two sides per rotor, two rotors per engine... Basically not worth it, so I found a way to do it myself.

I made a template of the seal groove and used that to make a router template. After 5 discouraging attempts I pulled the trigger and purchased some very good condition housings and cut some grooves into them. They came out PERFECT and I was ready to assemble. Then came the idea to port the engine even further. The port timing was already maxed out for a street engine but the runner could have been bigger, so I maxed those out too! Before this rebuild I took the car, not tuned or in perfect time, to the dyno. Made 165 whp and around 117 lb/ft with an a/f mixture under 10 (extremely rich). This was before the bigger ports, and once I get the mixture down and the timing correct I was told I can expect between 220-230 whp naturally aspirated.

As of today the engine is back together and in the car and broken in. I am in the re-tuning stages, trying to dial in the carburetion. The plan is to eventually ditch the Holley and go to a 48 DCOE Weber as I was told that this combo is amazing for the street/autox. Looking forward to some autocross within the next couple months and maybe even some HPDE and Homestead Speedway or Palm Beach.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
gabeurgelles
post Feb 6 2016, 08:09 PM
Post #47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUklupMBnRc
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Feb 7 2016, 08:32 AM
Post #48

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

sounds so sweet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
RickS
post Feb 7 2016, 08:58 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 5,880

Absolutely amazing. What a sweet ride. Did you get rwh stats?
+Quote Post
gabeurgelles
post Feb 7 2016, 10:53 AM
Post #50

QUOTE(RickS @ Feb 7 2016, 09:58 AM) *

165 rwh and 117ft/lbs running extremely rich (a/f under 10). This was before the last rebuild, in which I ported the motor further and will fix the air/fuel mixture. Shooting for around 220 rwh on the next pull
+Quote Post
Bills914-4
post Feb 7 2016, 01:06 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 8,762
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(gabeurgelles @ Feb 7 2016, 11:53 AM) *

165 rwh and 117ft/lbs running extremely rich (a/f under 10). This was before the last rebuild, in which I ported the motor further and will fix the air/fuel mixture. Shooting for around 220 rwh on the next pull

Wow nice skills Gabe, I just read this post complete , I wasn't aware you did all this work
to the 914 back in Nov. when we met at cars & coffee , for some of you that don't know
this young man is still in High School , I wish I had half your skills when I was your age ,
I'm planning on going to cars & coffee this sat. feb 13th, hope to see you there.
take care Bill D.

PS were's this dyno place located & what do they charge, I need to find a new place to
test tune my 914 , thanks in advance
+Quote Post
vw505
post Feb 7 2016, 05:31 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 579

I have a 901 trans that has an adapter for a full size 13B fly wheel and clutch. I want to build a wide body car some day, or sell it.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 7 2016, 05:54 PM
Post #53

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

If I ever get an electric car and there's an option for having it play an engine sound, I demand you sell me a sample of that dyno run! That is such a bad ass engine note!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
Good on you, great work.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
gabeurgelles
post Feb 7 2016, 05:55 PM
Post #54

QUOTE(WLD419 @ Feb 7 2016, 02:06 PM) *

QUOTE(gabeurgelles @ Feb 7 2016, 11:53 AM) *

Wow nice skills Gabe, I just read this post complete , I wasn't aware you did all this work
to the 914 back in Nov. when we met at cars & coffee , for some of you that don't know
this young man is still in High School , I wish I had half your skills when I was your age ,
I'm planning on going to cars & coffee this sat. feb 13th, hope to see you there.
take care Bill D.

PS were's this dyno place located & what do they charge, I need to find a new place to
test tune my 914 , thanks in advance

Thanks Bill, the shop with the Dyno is RotaryWerks right by tamiami airport. They host Dyno days where you get three pulls for $35
+Quote Post
gabeurgelles
post Mar 9 2016, 07:47 AM
Post #55

So now it's time for suspension, I've been looking into my options but would like to get some opinions. The car is going to be used on the street (going to and from events) for autocross events (maybe some DE). Right now the front and rear shocks are gone, and have begun to leak. I was thinking about going bilstein sport shocks front and rear and running a 22mm torsion bar. I have a sway bar laying around that measures 20.8mm but I don't have the drop links to attach it so I have to find those. The rear springs are #180. Would this be a decent setup for autocross and occasional drivers education? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 9 2016, 08:00 AM
Post #56

Spooling.... Please wait

I prefer koni yellows due to their adjustability.

22mm torsion bars are very stiff, you wouldnt need to run a sway bar with that combo and 180lb springs.
+Quote Post
gabeurgelles
post Mar 9 2016, 09:33 AM
Post #57

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 9 2016, 09:00 AM) *

I prefer koni yellows due to their adjustability.

22mm torsion bars are very stiff, you wouldnt need to run a sway bar with that combo and 180lb springs.

Being adjustable is definitely a big bonus. What if I keep my stock torsion bar and use the sway bar?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 9 2016, 10:46 AM
Post #58

Spooling.... Please wait

Pretty common setup there to stay with the stock T bars or 19mm t bars and use a sway bar.

Shocks will help stiffen things up as well.
+Quote Post
tomrev
post Mar 9 2016, 12:20 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 17,037

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 9 2016, 08:46 AM) *

Pretty common setup there to stay with the stock T bars or 19mm t bars and use a sway bar.

Shocks will help stiffen things up as well.

Very nice fab skills! Second the stock T bar sizes, and 180 rear springs. Good shocks will allow a lot of tuning, and keep it happy for both street and racing. Nice thing about the Bilsteins is the adjust. spring perch at a reasonable price in rear.
+Quote Post
gabeurgelles
post Mar 17 2016, 08:01 AM
Post #60

Well this last weekend I took the car to the dyno to see how much power this 13b could make. To be honest, I had no idea what kind of number to expect once tuned. I was hoping for 190hp, but wasnt really sure. The first pull right off the bat, untuned, was 181whp and about 120ft/lbs. After a couple more pulls and jet sizes later, the car was at 198whp and 129ft/lbs. Seeing this number made me determined to reach 200. With some small timing changes, I was able to achieve this. The final numbers were 200.44whp and 131.87ft/lbs at 9500rpm
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:30 PM