Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oil Leak, Is my mechanic right?
dmilzoff
post Jun 6 2003, 05:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 377

I have a 914-6 with a 3.0. It has been used 1-200 miles per year for the past 4 years and has had moderate oil drips. I accepted the drips in my garage since I only used 1 quart of oil each year. I want to track the car now and I just had major work ($$$) done including changing oil from 50 weight to 10-30 Mobil 1. Now I have more leaks than ever - the car used 2 quarts of oil during 1 day of AutoX. I cannot see any oil leaking. My mechanic says it may be oil leaking past the valve guides into the combusiton chambers - meaning major overhaul and major cost.
Would returning to a higher weight oil (synthetic) help or is the overhaul necessary? Suggestions? Help!!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Jun 6 2003, 06:08 PM
Post #2

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

Synthetic oil doesnt start leaks, but it finds its way through the older seals. 2 quarts? Id say you have other issues.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
10w-30 is for Toyota's. If you are AXing, you might want to check out Mobil 1 15w-50.

If you are using that much oil, it eithe ris leaking like mad, which you would probably see, because 2 quarts is a hell of a lot of oil to loose, or its going into the combustion chamber and burning up. Id take it to a Porsche mechanic, and have the proper tests done to determine if your heads need to be re worked
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Jun 6 2003, 06:10 PM
Post #3

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244
Region Association: None

Changing back to a different oil is a cheaper test than pulling the heads.

A leakdown and/or compression test might tell you if you have issues with rings.

-Rusty
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jun 7 2003, 12:09 AM
Post #4

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Ouch, I feel your pain.

If it actually burned 2qts of oil in 1 day, you probably would have noticed some significant smoking. A leak of 2qts obviously would be nearly impossible to miss. Most leaks that look "bad" on your garage floor are really just a few ounces (or less).

This may be a long shot -- but if you have a front oil cooler, and they refilled the oil without allowing for the extra oil line & cooler volume, that could be at least 2 qts. On my car I had to add approx 2qts once the oil thermostat opened and the front cooler filled up. Just a thought.
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Jun 7 2003, 12:37 AM
Post #5

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jun 6 2003, 11:09 PM)
This may be a long shot -- but if you have a front oil cooler, and they refilled the oil without allowing for the extra oil line & cooler volume, that could be at least 2 qts. On my car I had to add approx 2qts once the oil thermostat opened and the front cooler filled up. Just a thought.

I actually considered this, but....if your mechanic knew what he was doing, this would have been taken into consideration. Does the car smoke?
+Quote Post
dmilzoff
post Jun 7 2003, 06:15 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 377

The car is not smoking. It's actually running great. I drove 75 miles to the AutoX and 75 back. I added 1 quart midway into the day because I notice lower than usual oil pressure and again when I returned home. The drips on the ground is only 1-2 ounces. I will do a leak down test but I think I will change the oil before I go any further. Thanx.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:58 PM