Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Emissions and ...., gas quality
MarkG
post Feb 23 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,102

My '76 has been in shop for 5 weeks now trying to meet colorado springs emission requirements........

Shop can get it to pass requirements for out-lying areas (Colorado does not have a State wide universal standard) but not for the metro area - say it passes at shop but by the time he drives to emission station it fails by just a hair. Entire fuel injection system has been replaced with NEW stuff including a new CHT and all new vacuum hoses. Has a new CAT converter and passed California specs 2 years ago (and then sat until I got it this summer).

Gas in car is at least a year plus old, and I added a bottle of Lucas FI cleaner and a bottle of HEET for winter.

Question: is it possible that the deteriorated fuel quality and added additives could have a negative affect on tail pipe emissions? i.e. fresh gas and try again?

My only other options: Move; wait until 2007 when Colorado drops all emission testing or sell it.........
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Feb 23 2005, 06:43 PM
Post #2

rich herzog

Group: Members
Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE (MarkG @ Feb 23 2005, 06:53 PM)
...it passes at shop but by the time he drives to emission station it fails by just a hair.

Question: is it possible that the deteriorated fuel quality and added additives could have a negative affect on tail pipe emissions? i.e. fresh gas and try again?

it *should* be better if it is hotter (i.e. - after the drive...)

stale gas is bad news.

what is it failing on -- HC? CO? NOx?

if it's CO, run on the lowest octane fresh gas that will keep it from pinging. high octane gas burns too slow for complete combustion, especially at altitude.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 02:01 AM