Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SCCA Driver school in a 914, I am hooked on 914 racing
Quilmes
post Feb 23 2005, 06:07 PM
Post #1

Torino 380 W

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,510

Hello my 914 friends, last week I was able to participate in something that has been on the back burner for 20 yrs. It's called racing, and now I am hooked.
On Feb 10-13 SCCA had there double driver's school in Roebling Rd in Savannah GA, there where lots of cars there ranging from Formula Mazda to SPO NASCAR like racers and it seemed like a million spec Miatas.
But only one 914, this car belongs to Pedro Rivera it's a 914-4 1.8 stock engine for now, races in FP class. Pedro took time off from work and let me drive his car in this event. He is a great person whom also owns a 996GT, he did not charge me one cent. ( We all need friend like him)

The classes where good and entertaining, we were split up into 3 groups, mine was group 2 the largest of the three. In my run group you had GT Lights ( old GT4 510 Datsuns) HP MG's and a Datsun roadster , FP cars, SM Spec Miatas.
The track time was out of this world, we were on the track every 40-50minutes. from Friday -Sunday 8:30am till 4pm, we got a total of 7hrs of track time. ( I am ready for an Enduro) As I drove I was able to improve my times, the cars that gave me the most grief in the beginning were the Miatas, they had more power in the straits and in the first days could stay with me in the corners. By Saturday I was passing cars on the outside of the corners. WHOA a 914 can really handle, I was so impressed how I could go into turn one in fifth flat out, tap the brakes settle the car and drift to the apex brake a bit select 4th and floor it through turn 2 catch fifth and keep in floored through turn 3. The 914 did not have the power to make up for mistakes on the turns, so one had to be smooth in all the turns and try to carry as much momentum as possible through the turns not to lose time.

A lot of racers commented on how nice the car looked and how well in handle in the turns, because I was able to make up so much ground on the turns.

Well I don ‘t want to bore anyone more so here are some pictures.

What can I say I need to build a 914 race car. NOW NOW NOW.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Feb 23 2005, 06:08 PM
Post #2

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

panosports or mini lights?
+Quote Post
Quilmes
post Feb 23 2005, 06:12 PM
Post #3

Torino 380 W

More

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Quilmes
post Feb 23 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #4

Torino 380 W

QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 23 2005, 04:08 PM)
panosports or mini lights?

Panosports

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Quilmes
post Feb 23 2005, 06:23 PM
Post #5

Torino 380 W

Oh Yeah and one very fast great handling Mini Super S

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
flyloki
post Feb 23 2005, 06:31 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,264

Dayum.....

That car looks awesome ( and I don't usually like olympic ). Are the fenders flared at all?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Stutgart46
post Feb 23 2005, 08:10 PM
Post #7

Stutgart46

Member No.: 1,365

How did you do against those Miata's?
I've never been to Roebling, but I hear it's a great 914 track.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Feb 23 2005, 08:15 PM
Post #8

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Hey I know that guy! Pedro Rivera!

I was supposed to be there last weekend but I had too much going on... Mark Peebles, one of my FP racers still has his engine down waiting for rods- Else you would have gotten to see a true beast... She spins 8500 RPM like nuttin!

I'll be there in October when they go back to Roebling with my 914, its equipped with my 2316 Hybrid engine and is running great!

Look forward to seeing you in October!

BTW- I took a spin in Pedros car at the February DE at Roebling last year...... Its a VERY clean car- It just needs MassIVe power.

+Quote Post
Quilmes
post Feb 24 2005, 03:25 PM
Post #9

Torino 380 W

QUOTE (flyloki @ Feb 23 2005, 04:31 PM)
Dayum.....

That car looks awesome ( and I don't usually like olympic ). Are the fenders flared at all?

The fenders are stock , I think that he just rolled them a bit to fit the 7" Pansport wheels.
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Feb 24 2005, 03:40 PM
Post #10

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

Sweet looking car, and fantastic pictures, as always! I really dig those wheels! They're hard to find and mucho $$$$s, aren't they?

+Quote Post
Quilmes
post Feb 24 2005, 03:44 PM
Post #11

Torino 380 W

QUOTE (Stutgart46 @ Feb 23 2005, 06:10 PM)
How did you do against those Miata's?
I've never been to Roebling, but I hear it's a great 914 track.

I did better than what many expected against the Miatas, but you also need to take into account that we where all learning to race door to door.
The Miatas have good power, great brakes and turn very well. Perdro's 914 could not keep up with them on the straights but in the turns that 914 was king, it also gave me great confidence to pass cars anywhere you wanted to with out risking your life.
I wish my 914 would handle that good and smooth, you could go in deep into a turn scrub off speed without spinning. I was amazed; I guess that what 914’s are all about.
I was able to turn a 1:28, I was told that I touched a high 1:27. And yes it is a great momentum track perfect for 914’s.
If I work the turns a little more I think that I can get it down to 1:26, then you need power to make up the rest. The FP class record is 1:19 so I would still have a ways to go

Thanks
+Quote Post
Quilmes
post Feb 24 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #12

Torino 380 W

QUOTE (mike_the_man @ Feb 24 2005, 01:40 PM)
Sweet looking car, and fantastic pictures, as always! I really dig those wheels! They're hard to find and mucho $$$$s, aren't they?

Sorry I don't know the price of the rims since the car belongs to Pedro Rivera of Orlando. All I know is that his 914 handles great and I had a great time, I recomend it to anyone wanting to have fun on the track.

Thanks
+Quote Post
Quilmes
post Feb 24 2005, 03:51 PM
Post #13

Torino 380 W

QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Feb 23 2005, 06:15 PM)
Hey I know that guy! Pedro Rivera!

I was supposed to be there last weekend but I had too much going on... Mark Peebles, one of my FP racers still has his engine down waiting for rods- Else you would have gotten to see a true beast... She spins 8500 RPM like nuttin!

I'll be there in October when they go back to Roebling with my 914, its equipped with my 2316 Hybrid engine and is running great!

Look forward to seeing you in October!

BTW- I took a spin in Pedros car at the February DE at Roebling last year...... Its a VERY clean car- It just needs MassIVe power.

I think that Sid from Troysport is going to build Pedro a 1.8 race engine, right it is stock and not to fast on the straights but I still had a great time.

See you there
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:08 PM