Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Custom shift cable options?
JRust
post Jun 18 2015, 11:03 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Okay so at WCR one of my shifter cables broke. After looking at multiple local auto parts & shops. Nobody does it around here or had a suggestion of where to go. I literally only need the cable itself with the ends crimped on. I did get a quote of $145 from the company that made my cables originally. Twice the price they were 3 years ago I might add. This is for a complete new cable. Which I really don't need the whole thing. Oh yes & there is a 6-8 week wait for this custom cable. In general they just pissed me off & I don't want to order from them. Nor wait 2 months to get it. Of course if I had ordered it right after WCR I would have it. I've had a lot going on & it wasn't high on my priority list (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

So I have some other cables from another setup. They are the same setup but about a foot shorter. So I would need to customize something in back to make it work. Is doable just not a 10 minute cable swap.

Ideally I just want a place that can make the cable insert I need. Really doesn't seem like there is nobody more local that can do that. So hoping for some ideas to point me where to look. I thought maybe a tractor supply place?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 18 2015, 11:04 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Did you look on McMaster for push-pull cables?
+Quote Post
screenguy914
post Jun 18 2015, 11:23 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,540
Region Association: Southern California

Hey J,
Glad the prognosis wasn't as serious as first assumed.

As for the cable, you might find a solution here: MidwestControl.com

Sherwood
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jun 18 2015, 11:25 AM
Post #4

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Shouldn't need to be custom, there are dozens of control cable manufacturers where you should be able to get one off the shelf. Control Cable is a biggie I'm familiar with, but google 'push pull control cable' and you should get a list.

There's something else to look at, though. You haven't been on the road so long, your cables should last a lot longer than that. Maybe see if you can get an upgrade on the cable size/quality from what you have or see if there's any binding or angles in the cable that you can eliminate.

+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 18 2015, 11:38 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 18 2015, 10:04 AM) *

Looking there now. Looks like the 1/4"x28 is the one I need. They only offer it in a 6ft length. Do you know if the is the length end to end? OR is that is bulk head to bulk head? Which means there is still the throw on each end. Overall my length is 82" from tip to tip.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jun 18 2015, 12:13 PM
Post #6

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Search for Boat control cables. All kinds of them. I have one up on the shelf from when I broke a throttle or shift cable. I can check to see what it is and the length.
They are push/pull cables.
+Quote Post
zipedadoo
post Jun 18 2015, 12:41 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 16,921

Did you try SS Equipment supply? I think they make cables. # 541-757-8112
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jun 18 2015, 01:51 PM
Post #8

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(screenguy914 @ Jun 18 2015, 12:23 PM) *

As for the cable, you might find a solution here: MidwestControl.com

I've bought a few cables from them and they are usually pretty inexpensive.

One of my buddies swears some of the people who pick up the phone there are smoking special stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 18 2015, 01:55 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 18 2015, 10:38 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 18 2015, 10:04 AM) *

Looking there now. Looks like the 1/4"x28 is the one I need. They only offer it in a 6ft length. Do you know if the is the length end to end? OR is that is bulk head to bulk head? Which means there is still the throw on each end. Overall my length is 82" from tip to tip.

6ft is OAL (over all length), so as you put it "length from end to end".
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jun 18 2015, 04:07 PM
Post #10

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

7" or 84" would be a standard size. Might be worth the effort to make that fit.

I've been in this long enough to avoid custom whenever possible, too many hassles.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jun 18 2015, 04:12 PM
Post #11

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Boat guys will know, but Teleflex is a big boat push pull control cable company.

Example here
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 18 2015, 04:12 PM
Post #12

914 Guru

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 18 2015, 03:07 PM) *

7" or 84" would be a standard size. Might be worth the effort to make that fit.

I've been in this long enough to avoid custom whenever possible, too many hassles.

7" will work & I would gladly take that. Just what I am seeing is 6ft. Where did you get your 7ft Chris?
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 18 2015, 04:43 PM
Post #13

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Terry cables?
+Quote Post
andys
post Jun 18 2015, 05:47 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

I've used Control Cables Inc. http://www.controlcables.com/ in Santa Fe Springs, CA for many years. They'll make a custom cable to your specs by phone and a credit card; done in 3 days....Cheaper and faster than McMaster-Carr. And these guys know what they're talking about.

To minimize the chances of cable failure, make sure they are configured such that the end operates in as straight a condition as possible. I think the spec out at a total maximum misalignment at a 15 degree range, but I've found the less the better. I figure you already know this, but just thought I'd make mention since I've seen lots of guys fab some pretty cock-eyed stuff.

Andys

Andys
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jun 18 2015, 08:26 PM
Post #15

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 18 2015, 03:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 18 2015, 03:07 PM) *

7' or 84" would be a standard size. Might be worth the effort to make that fit.

7" will work & I would gladly take that. Just what I am seeing is 6ft. Where did you get your 7ft Chris?

Mine's 914 side shift @ 5', which happens to be mitsu length (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I looked at a bunch of cable places, couldn't easily tell you who had part #s for 7', but round #s were fairly common. I'll run thru my bookmarks.

Lokar might be a good option. I'll look thru my SEMA bag too.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 18 2015, 10:44 PM
Post #16

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(andys @ Jun 18 2015, 04:47 PM) *

I've used Control Cables Inc. http://www.controlcables.com/ in Santa Fe Springs, CA for many years. They'll make a custom cable to your specs by phone and a credit card; done in 3 days....Cheaper and faster than McMaster-Carr. And these guys know what they're talking about.

To minimize the chances of cable failure, make sure they are configured such that the end operates in as straight a condition as possible. I think the spec out at a total maximum misalignment at a 15 degree range, but I've found the less the better. I figure you already know this, but just thought I'd make mention since I've seen lots of guys fab some pretty cock-eyed stuff.

Andys

Andys

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Yep, stellar customer service. I called armed with measurements, confessed that I didn't know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) from Apple Butter and the guy I spoke with had me lined out in 2 minutes. They even offered some tips about diameter choices. Would definitely use them again, Jaime.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 18 2015, 10:53 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 18 2015, 09:44 PM) *

Andys

Andys

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Yep, stellar customer service. I called armed with measurements, confessed that I didn't know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) from Apple Butter and the guy I spoke with had me lined out in 2 minutes. They even offered some tips about diameter choices. Would definitely use them again, Jaime.

I'll call them tomorrow. Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Jun 19 2015, 11:21 AM
Post #18

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730

I have used California Puch-Pull in Chico, CA for a few cables now. Very reasonable on price and really fast turn-around. 1-888-638-3604 or 530-893-4060.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jun 30 2015, 04:17 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

Andys

Andys

Finally got around to calling these guys. $96 & they will ship it in the next day or 2. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) That was to easy & very reasonable. Hopefully I managed to give all the correct info (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 1 2015, 07:56 AM
Post #20

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 30 2015, 03:17 PM) *

Andys

Andys

Finally got around to calling these guys. $96 & they will ship it in the next day or 2. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) That was to easy & very reasonable. Hopefully I managed to give all the correct info (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

They're good folks. I couldn't have been happier with their service. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:10 PM