Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Resizing Images, BRad-Requests
72Signal914
post Jun 6 2003, 07:20 PM
Post #1

Think I need a new keyboard

Group: Members
Member No.: 702

Brad mentioned this on one of the topics in the Request and Classified Forum about how people do not like to resize images or do not know how to do it.

Some of us have Photoshop and takes like a minute to resize the image but Brad being Brad gets lazy and doesn't want to resize all the images. I don't blame him, I wouldn't want to do it either.

I have made a PowerPoint Presentation on "How-To" Resize Images. I did it so people knew how to do it w/o using high-tech programs like Photoshop and some other professional programs. It's using Microsoft Paint, and the example I used is resizing a picture from the internet. It works the same as if you were to save from your camera to your hard drive.

I do not know how to get it on the net since I do not have my own personal web-space, and I don't know if Brad wants it on the site do people can see it. I'll try to attach it to this post (might work). If not can I mail it to someone and they'll post it. It's a very large file (not 56k user-friendly 4.5MB) since there are a lot of full size pictures.

Maybe Brad can take it and make into a webpage or something
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jun 6 2003, 07:47 PM
Post #2

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Good idea!!!
Hope he post the link for us.
Geoff
+Quote Post
Alexlitov
post Jun 6 2003, 08:34 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 615

Why wouldn't you resize pictures in your presentation to make it smaller in size? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) You can change the DPI on the images to cut down on the size. You can also make a small 1 page site about it.
+Quote Post
72Signal914
post Jun 7 2003, 12:21 AM
Post #4

Think I need a new keyboard

Member No.: 702

Some people may not be able to under stand what is being said and have to see it visually. There might not be some computer illiterate people and a visaul is usually better.

Also, I used full-sized screenshots and they are in fact in Bitmap (large) and was much easier to do than to cut-down the DPI to reduce quality and not be able to see the script easy. The intention is to have on the Web not for Downloading

I've seen PowerPoint projects posted on the web just don't know how to do it. I cna send someone the Presentation if they know how to put it on the web. It's a damn god presentation (I think) and very easy to follow and about 45 sec. long
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Jun 7 2003, 12:35 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

the DPI settings of a pic won't matter, it doesn't make the pic any bigger or smaller
DPI is used only to give the quality of a picture in print, where the picture is sized in inches (therefore the term Dots Per Inch)
A pic for internet / computer use is already measured in pixels. You can try it... take any pic and change it from 72dpi to 300dpi (or vice versa) and it won't change a thing.

I'd suggest you resize your pics to a max width of 640 pixels. That way, it'll stay within the bondaries of this website

When saving your pic in .jpg format (or re-saving a .jpg file) most graphic suites offer the ability to compress the quality of the pic.
This is what makes a big difference in downloading speed, cause this will decrease the actual file size (not the picture size)
You can compress the quality of a pic quite a bit before you can actually see it getting worse.
Compressing a pic will help both save space on our servers harddisk and will speed up the downloading of the pages here

I hope this clarifies some of it...

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 7 2003, 05:53 PM
Post #6

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Jeroen @ Jun 7 2003, 11:35 AM)
the DPI settings of a pic won't matter, it doesn't make the pic any bigger or smaller
DPI is used only to give the quality of a picture in print, where the picture is sized in inches (therefore the term Dots Per Inch)

yepp, 100 pixel is 100 pixel, regardless of the DPI.
DPI only matters if you have Inches or CM as a Unit.

for example, my avatar picture is 442 x 442 pixels @ 200dpi and it would display here exactly the same at 442 x 442 pixels @ 72dpi ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/av-179.jpg)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 07:40 AM