Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SoCal shop to sort out my shifter, new problem, transmission leaks
rhodyguy
post Jun 21 2015, 10:54 AM
Post #21

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Group: Members
Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

i would take leamon up on his generous offer. save yourself a couple of c-notes.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
john77
post Jun 22 2015, 04:09 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 17,027
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Jun 21 2015, 09:33 AM) *

Its really easy to do it yourself bring a pin an paper I will show over Lunch. You buy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

If you happen to order all the bushing before coming out I can show you how easy it is on the lift. PM me here

Thanks so much, what a generous offer. I'll shoot you a PM.

It only got worse yesterday after AX. It was hard to get into first/reverse all day (nothing new), but then on the way home it suddenly started getting harder and harder to get into any gear (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Hopefully, that points toward the problem being with the shift linkage/bushings rather than the transmission.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jun 22 2015, 09:38 PM
Post #23

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

Wow. I know my 914 shifts better than 98% of them out there, as it's been extensively rebuilt/upgraded/sorted. But lately I've been driving my 997 a fair amount with its stellar Numeric Racing shifter with action like the proverbial rifle bolt. So yesterday I pulled-out the 914 to do some work on it and was appalled at the shift action. It almost inspires me to go back thru the 914 again and see what else I can do.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 22 2015, 10:08 PM
Post #24

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jun 22 2015, 08:38 PM) *

Wow. I know my 914 shifts better than 98% of them out there, as it's been extensively rebuilt/upgraded/sorted. But lately I've been driving my 997 a fair amount with its stellar Numeric Racing shifter with action like the proverbial rifle bolt. So yesterday I pulled-out the 914 to do some work on it and was appalled at the shift action. It almost inspires me to go back thru the 914 again and see what else I can do.

Sure, take the SKILL out of racing a 914.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jun 23 2015, 02:30 PM
Post #25

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(john77 @ Jun 22 2015, 03:09 PM) *

Its really easy to do it yourself bring a pin an paper I will show over Lunch. You buy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

If you happen to order all the bushing before coming out I can show you how easy it is on the lift. PM me here

It only got worse yesterday after AX. It was hard to get into first/reverse all day (nothing new), but then on the way home it suddenly started getting harder and harder to get into any gear (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Hopefully, that points toward the problem being with the shift linkage/bushings rather than the transmission.

If it's going south that quickly, I doubt it's a bushing (although they likely still need replacing). I'm still betting that the clutch just needs adjusting which is just tightening/loosening 2 bolts on the end of the cable.
If you haven't done so, get the Haynes manual, especially since you've got tools at your disposal. This is the easy stuff.
+Quote Post
john77
post Jun 24 2015, 11:43 AM
Post #26

QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 23 2015, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(john77 @ Jun 22 2015, 03:09 PM) *

If it's going south that quickly, I doubt it's a bushing (although they likely still need replacing). I'm still betting that the clutch just needs adjusting which is just tightening/loosening 2 bolts on the end of the cable.
If you haven't done so, get the Haynes manual, especially since you've got tools at your disposal. This is the easy stuff.

I think you're right. I read through Dr Evil's excellent pdf and a lot of the symptoms are pointing toward the clutch cable. Work's a little crazy right now, but I'm hoping to get an hour to poke around under their tonight and see what's going on.
+Quote Post
john77
post Jun 29 2015, 10:16 PM
Post #27

Managed to finally get under the car tonight. It's a 73, but the number on the tranny case is 914.301.101.00, which unless Google is lying is a tail-shifter, so I just wanted to check what I'm dealing with. Is this tail-shifter or a tail-shifter that's been converted to a side shifter?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i2.photobucket.com-17027-1435637812.1.jpg)

Question 2: Do I just tighten the the nut at the end of the clutch cable to adjust the clutch?

And, finally, there seems to be a bar blocking me from getting a wrench in to remove the top plug in the transmission. Is that normal, or is what I'm looking at not the top drain plug?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i2.photobucket.com-17027-1435637812.2.jpg)

+Quote Post
Bob L.
post Jun 30 2015, 11:05 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 13,411
Region Association: Southwest Region

Something funky there...
I don't have a bar like that on mine. Or any of those brackets/links connected to it. one looks like a dipstick tube. I would inspect those bits and see if they do anything. Someone here will probably know what they are from/for.

That is the fill plug half blocked by the top of the bar. I think the drain plug is under the bar just behind the clutch cable pulley.

Always make sure you can get the fill plug open before you drain it.
+Quote Post
Hank914
post Jun 30 2015, 11:07 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 17,215
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Jun 30 2015, 10:05 AM) *

Something funky there...
I don't have a bar like that on mine. Or any of those brackets/links connected to it. one looks like a dipstick tube. I would inspect those bits and see if they do anything. Someone here will probably know what they are from/for.

That is the fill plug half blocked by the top of the bar. I think the drain plug is under the bar just behind the clutch cable pulley.

Always make sure you can get the fill plug open before you drain it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Plus looks to me that you do have a side shift not a tail shift.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jun 30 2015, 12:01 PM
Post #30

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

The bar which that covers the fill plug is part of a custom bracket to mount the -6 throttle linkage bellcrank on a non 914-6 transaxle.
+Quote Post
john77
post Jun 30 2015, 12:35 PM
Post #31

Thanks guys.

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 30 2015, 11:01 AM) *

The bar which that covers the fill plug is part of a custom bracket to mount the -6 throttle linkage bellcrank on a non 914-6 transaxle.

Chris, have you dealt with one before? Looking at it it doesn't look like that big a job to remove it so I can change the tranny oil, just undo a few nuts and pull the throttle linkage to one side.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jun 30 2015, 01:35 PM
Post #32

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE(john77 @ Jun 30 2015, 02:35 PM) *

Thanks guys.

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 30 2015, 11:01 AM) *

Chris, have you dealt with one before? Looking at it it doesn't look like that big a job to remove it so I can change the tranny oil, just undo a few nuts and pull the throttle linkage to one side.

I haven't seen one of those brackets in my shop yet, but what you have in mind to do is what I would do.
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jun 30 2015, 02:38 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(john77 @ Jun 30 2015, 12:35 PM) *

While you have that "bar" off - notch it so you can get to the top plug next time.
+Quote Post
Bob L.
post Jun 30 2015, 03:37 PM
Post #34

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jun 30 2015, 03:38 PM) *

While you have that "bar" off - notch it so you can get to the top plug next time.

If you don't have a -6 , you could probably just take it off and leave it off.
It's just weight.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jun 30 2015, 03:55 PM
Post #35

I am Tangerine Racing

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Jun 30 2015, 05:37 PM) *

It's just weight.

Maybe you didn't notice the headers in his pics.
+Quote Post
Bob L.
post Jun 30 2015, 04:05 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 30 2015, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Bob L. @ Jun 30 2015, 05:37 PM) *

It's just weight.

Maybe you didn't notice the headers in his pics.

No "maybe" about it. I missed them.
+Quote Post
Heeltoe914
post Jun 30 2015, 04:21 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 5,506

The bar was made to allow you to have the linkage mounted to operate the linkage that runs up to your carbs or injection. If its been working clean it up and go as mentioned notch it for that fill plug.
The bushing look warn, and I do not see the 6mm cone head screw coming out from where the shift linkage bars end connects something is going on right their???
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 30 2015, 04:46 PM
Post #38

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Plan on doing your bushings. They look like they've been in service for a while. Shake the rear bar just forward of the console. How much does it move around in the bushing?
+Quote Post
john77
post Jul 1 2015, 10:49 AM
Post #39

QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jun 30 2015, 01:38 PM) *

Great idea, thanks.
+Quote Post
john77
post Jul 1 2015, 10:56 AM
Post #40

Which bushings are we talking about? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) The car was built in 2008, but didn't see that much action until I bought it 18 months ago. The more I poke around under it it seems like pretty much every single bushing on it needs replacing.

Seriously though, do you mean the shift linkage bushings or the tranny mount bushings?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:47 PM