Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SoCal shop to sort out my shifter, new problem, transmission leaks
ChrisFoley
post Jul 1 2015, 11:21 AM
Post #41

I am Tangerine Racing

Group: Members
Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(john77 @ Jul 1 2015, 12:56 PM) *

Which bushings are we talking about? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) The car was built in 2008, but didn't see that much action until I bought it 18 months ago. The more I poke around under it it seems like pretty much every single bushing on it needs replacing.

Seriously though, do you mean the shift linkage bushings or the tranny mount bushings?

I'm pretty sure he meant the shift bushings since that's the main topic.
You should check the tranny mounts too though.
Sometimes the rubber is badly age cracked, but at least the design won't allow the assembly to fall apart if the rubber does fail.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 1 2015, 11:38 AM
Post #42

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

On top of checking the bushings, check the shift coupler. It's at the firewall under the rubber cover. There are two bushings in the coupler that turn to plastic over the years and disintegrate.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jul 1 2015, 01:05 PM
Post #43

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 1 2015, 01:38 PM) *

On top of checking the bushings, check the shift coupler. It's at the firewall under the rubber cover. There are two bushings in the coupler that turn to plastic over the years and disintegrate.

He'll be replacing that coupler with a u-joint in a week or so.
Thanks for the order John! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 1 2015, 01:10 PM
Post #44

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 1 2015, 12:05 PM) *

Nice!!!! Love your products Chris!! Your 915/916 adapter works great and saved me tons of time with adjustments.
+Quote Post
john77
post Jul 1 2015, 01:19 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 17,027

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 1 2015, 12:05 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Jul 1 2015, 01:34 PM
Post #46

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

The Rennshifter is great, but stiff. Best as the "last" upgrade. Worth it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

After I replaced shift rod bushings, I fixed lots more slop by changing the transaxle mount bushings. They were cracked and almost falling apart, and you couldn't see the cracked rubber until you had them off and in your hand. WEVO makes a nice upgrade (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
john77
post Jul 1 2015, 03:10 PM
Post #47

QUOTE(Chris Pincetich @ Jul 1 2015, 12:34 PM) *

The Rennshifter is great, but stiff. Best as the "last" upgrade. Worth it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

After I replaced shift rod bushings, I fixed lots more slop by changing the transaxle mount bushings. They were cracked and almost falling apart, and you couldn't see the cracked rubber until you had them off and in your hand. WEVO makes a nice upgrade (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Thanks Chris. I just finished reading the tech article on the bird about this and from the symptoms it does sound like my tranny mounts, and possibly also my engine mounts, could do with replacing. Not really confident this is a job I can do myself though.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jul 2 2015, 06:58 PM
Post #48

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

QUOTE(john77 @ Jul 1 2015, 02:10 PM) *

Thanks Chris. I just finished reading the tech article on the bird about this and from the symptoms it does sound like my tranny mounts, and possibly also my engine mounts, could do with replacing. Not really confident this is a job I can do myself though.

Trans mounts are a very easy DIY. Engine mounts are not quite as quick/easy but also totally DIY-able. Same with the Rennshifter which is a very nice upgrade once everything else is sorted out properly. The damn linkage bushings might be the most frustrating bits truthfully. And you definitely should check/replace your clutch cable "while you're in there" and that is also one of the least-fun jobs on a 914 but again, DIY-able without much wrenching experience.
+Quote Post
john77
post Jul 2 2015, 10:27 PM
Post #49

[/quote]
Trans mounts are a very easy DIY. Engine mounts are not quite as quick/easy but also totally DIY-able. Same with the Rennshifter which is a very nice upgrade once everything else is sorted out properly. The damn linkage bushings might be the most frustrating bits truthfully. And you definitely should check/replace your clutch cable "while you're in there" and that is also one of the least-fun jobs on a 914 but again, DIY-able without much wrenching experience.
[/quote]

I tightened and 'double-nutted' the clutch cable today. Immediately helped the shifting, and reverse stopped grinding, but first is still doing it if I try to shift into it too quickly.

I changed the tranny oil too and put in new Swepco 201. No idea how long it had been in there, but it had a really funny smell, looked like engine oil, and had a goldish foam on top of it.

As soon as they come I'll be swapping out the mounts and fitting the new linkage and firewall bushing.
+Quote Post
post Jul 3 2015, 03:34 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245

Its best to learn the basics on your shifter questions. If you had to take car in for every little concerned.
This 914 owner ship will turn upside-down really quick.
Labor rate for a 914 is the same as a 991.
Good luck
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 3 2015, 03:04 PM
Post #51

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Try putting the trans into 2nd before 1st. Just like in an old beetle.
+Quote Post
john77
post Jul 8 2015, 09:31 PM
Post #52

Changed my transmission mounts over the weekend - it was as simple as everyone said. Really surprised how much it tightened up my shifter. I also changed the tranny oil. The old oil smelled very odd, who knows the last time it was changed.

My transmission was leaking pretty badly before I changed the oil, but now I have I can see blue traces from the new oil. The two main places seem to be where the side shifter arm enters the case and this part in the picture. What is this? It moves a lot if I grab it. Is there a way to stop these leaks without taking the transmission apart?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i2.photobucket.com-17027-1436412702.1.jpg)

+Quote Post
Harpo
post Jul 9 2015, 03:59 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 13,469

The part with 90 degree bend closest to the lens is the speedo cable. This is a notorious place for the 901 trans to leak. McMark and Possibly 914 rubber makes a new/improved part with a second "O" ring that works great.

David
+Quote Post
john77
post Jul 9 2015, 01:46 PM
Post #54

QUOTE(Harpo @ Jul 9 2015, 02:59 AM) *

The part with 90 degree bend closest to the lens is the speedo cable. This is a notorious place for the 901 trans to leak. McMark and Possibly 914 rubber makes a new/improved part with a second "O" ring that works great.

David

Great, thanks David.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:36 PM