Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What to cut?, Sawzall party
Seventyfive914
post Feb 23 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,249

Hello. Well I'm progressing slowly to the point where it's getting to be time to put the "little white car" on a diet care of the cut off wheel and the whole saw. My first question is, in the rear trunk where the stock engine lid latch is located, is it ok to remove that section of sheet metal that is bent 45 degrees out beyond the strut towers? Looks to me like it does not contribute to the structural integrity of the tub, and the removal of it would obviously save some weight as well as provide better access to the engine. I'd just like some knowlegable advice before I get all medieval with the cutting implements. Thanks, -K-
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Feb 23 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #2

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

That's a tough question. What are you trying to achieve? If you plan on replacing lids & fenders with fiberglass, I wouldn't cut until you actually get the parts you're going to replace them with.

If what you want is weight loss - start with the simple: undercoating, gobs of seam sealer, soundproofing behind the backpad, carpet, tar on the floorboards, pad in the engine compartment.

By your name, I assume you have a 75. Have you backdated your bumpers yet? There's big weight loss there, too.

-Rusty (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smoke.gif)

+Quote Post
bryanthompson
post Feb 23 2005, 11:22 PM
Post #3

Check it out... 3 loops!

Member No.: 1,970

Are you gonna sell off the metal? If so, can I call dibs on the rear trunk floor if it's in reasonably decent shape?
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Feb 24 2005, 07:12 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

The engine/rear trunk firewall provides a great deal of strength to the chassis
If you look at it closely, you will notice that it's double wall and funktions as a brace between the shock towers
You can not just cut it out and drive your car, unless you fab up some new reinforcements/braces

Do a search for "frame rails" and you'll find some good info...

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
Seventyfive914
post Feb 24 2005, 10:09 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,249

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. Lawrence, yes my car is a '75 and I'm still trying to figure out what to use for my front bumper. I have a semi crunchy (below the top rubber cover) and not-so-straight chrome bumper off my '73 that I'm considering using as a buck to fabricate an aluminum front bumper, or also maybe lat wax paper over and use to form a carbon fiber or fiberglass bumper over. Either way, believe me the original steel safety bumper/boat anchor is history. Jeeze, even the rubber cover is heavy! The car is almost completely gutted, and all the sound deadening inside the cabin and engine compartment is history. I've been after the excess seam sealer and tarboard on the floor pans with the heat gun and a putty knife as well. I've got the original wiring harness out, and will only be re-installing a very basic one for brake lights and turn signals and ignition circuit and fresh air ventilation blower. The plan for this car is barely street legal race car. Thanks for the advice on what to not cut out. I'll be leaving the tub alone then and only removing ancilliary bits like latch brackets and stuff that is definately not structural or load bearing. So I won't have any sheet metal to peddle, sorry. I'll post occasional updates and some pics when I get 'em. Thanks again. Regards, -K-
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 01:32 AM