Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Quaife?, Where the best prices are?
post Feb 24 2005, 06:58 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 703

Anybody know where i can get a new quaife at the best price?

Thanks!
Bill
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Feb 24 2005, 08:13 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

IIRC from a past thread, GPR has good prices...
+Quote Post
post Feb 24 2005, 09:09 AM
Post #3

thanks will give them a try!
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Feb 24 2005, 09:55 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hmmmm, you up to something Bill? Is a Quaife or a ZF/GT LSD set to 60/40 or 80/20 better for the track? I've heard the old style clutch systems are better for the track, but I'm not sure if a quaife would work as well. I think you get the limited slip when off throttle with a ZF/GT LSD. Just looking out for your interests.
I think it'll cost a pretty penny to install as well, FYI
+Quote Post
post Feb 24 2005, 10:10 AM
Post #5

Hey Nathan!

Going on the recomendation of Charlie over at Intersport. The quaife we can adjust where as the LSD (as far as i understand it) will not be quite as flexible? For the install, a friend with some experience in trannies (you know the name) has offered to help put it all together. Any way you slice it, it is gonna be expensive, but with 1700 lbs or so and 220-230hp, will definitely be needing a better solution than a 901 with different 4th and 5th.

Will take a look at older threads discussing this and/or hope people chime in with their experiences?
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Feb 24 2005, 10:22 AM
Post #6

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

The Quaife is English...the Euro is realllllly strong against the dollar and the company does not discount it's product.....

BTW....I have a built 901 trans with an LSD ready to go.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
KenH
post Feb 24 2005, 10:35 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 156

Remember - if one rear wheel looses grip, say in a tight turn, the Quaife stops working.

Ken
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 24 2005, 10:38 AM
Post #8

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hows 'bout $750 for the tranny Mikey?

Lots of threads on LSD vs Quaife for track and axing.

Geoff
+Quote Post
post Feb 24 2005, 10:40 AM
Post #9

Will be East Coast GT5 car...

Willing to listen to the collected wisdom and have read the old threads where quaife shows up. Thoughts went 50/50 with my hp target.

Mike, dont you want like a bajillion dollars though? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Feb 24 2005, 10:49 AM
Post #10

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

I'll take $3,000....FRESH REBUILD with zero miles....the Quaife was 1200, then there is the H gear and the billet plate....try doing one yourself or having one built....you'll have 4K+ in it....
+Quote Post
brant
post Feb 24 2005, 11:45 AM
Post #11

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE (KenH @ Feb 24 2005, 09:35 AM)
Remember - if one rear wheel looses grip, say in a tight turn, the Quaife stops working.

Ken

Ken,

huh...?
I thought that was the exact reason for a limited slip. If one wheel lifts the other gets its power.

confused entirely now

brant
+Quote Post
dlee1967
post Feb 24 2005, 11:59 AM
Post #12

V8Lurker

Member No.: 327

The best price on a Quaife is at www.thescirocco.com DLee
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Feb 24 2005, 12:09 PM
Post #13

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE (brant @ Feb 24 2005, 12:45 PM)

I thought that was the exact reason for a limited slip. If one wheel lifts the other gets its power.
confused entirely now

yes, that is the exact reason for a limited slip, but a Quaife / Gleason / Torsen is NOT a limited slip -- it is a torque-biasing diff.

0 torque, 0 bias... each wheel must provide -some- resistance to the torque for a Torsen to work.

OTOH, they are expensive, and quite heavy.

(i have never heard of an adjustable Torsen, but i haven't researched all the options. certainly there didn't seem to be any means of adjusting the one i bought for the GTI (and never used, still for sale ...))
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 24 2005, 12:17 PM
Post #14

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Rich what year GTI???? I am in need the TDI will burn the inner tire in any turn, in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and if it is damp 5th gear. To much torque, nah can never have to much torque (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif) My 98 TDI looks stock, but then so do all my cars.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Feb 24 2005, 12:22 PM
Post #15

rich herzog

QUOTE (914forme @ Feb 24 2005, 01:17 PM)
Rich what year GTI???? I am in need the TDI...

probably too early to help you in a TDI ...

... 020/9A vintage (Mk-I / Mk-II)
+Quote Post
KenH
post Feb 24 2005, 12:33 PM
Post #16

Hep - 0 torque, 0 bias

ZF can be set at 40% or 80% slip.

I just installed one and do not remember it being that heavy.

Ken
+Quote Post
brant
post Feb 25 2005, 09:39 AM
Post #17

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Feb 24 2005, 11:09 AM)
QUOTE (brant @ Feb 24 2005, 12:45 PM)

confused entirely now

yes, that is the exact reason for a limited slip, but a Quaife / Gleason / Torsen is NOT a limited slip -- it is a torque-biasing diff.

0 torque, 0 bias... each wheel must provide -some- resistance to the torque for a Torsen to work.

OTOH, they are expensive, and quite heavy.

(i have never heard of an adjustable Torsen, but i haven't researched all the options. certainly there didn't seem to be any means of adjusting the one i bought for the GTI (and never used, still for sale ...))

So Rich and Ken,

how much resistance would each wheel need to provide in order to have the diff functioning?

I always thought that the 80%ZF was superior for track racing. Until recently. My race shop (AJRS) claims that there is a HP threshold. somewhere around 225hp, the ZF becomes supperior, and below that the torque biasing is superior (at least in lap times)

as it was explained to me its due to the TB allowing you to drive smoother. And we all know that in a low HP car like a 914 smoothness counts.

I've been running a locked diff. I improved my time by 2 seconds a lap (with the same tires) so it definitely helped, but I AM NOT SMOOTH anymore. It took me quite a while to learn how to drive it completely different to get that 2 seconds a lap. Initially the locked diff was slower.

So how much pressure does it require to make the TB work? I'm guessing (based on AJ's comments) that the TB functions with even partial pressure upon it.

+Quote Post
KenH
post Feb 25 2005, 10:25 AM
Post #18

The general rule is 40% for AX & 80% for Track.

Mine is set for 80% and works well on the track but I have not run an AX with it yet.

I do not believe HP would be a determining factor when choosing a ZF or TB diff. Others will need to comment on that.

Those I have talked to preffer the ZF for track use because it is "always" working - accelearation, braking, rear wheel lift.

Rear wheel lift is probably a bigger problem when AXing.

Not sure I understand your comment "how much resistance would each wheel need to provide in order to have the diff functioning".

The ZF is always functional, acceleration and deacceleration. It uses a "plate/disk" system that senses drive shaft input and wheel load to manage the "slip".

I would try and talk to as many "drivers" as possible. It is expense to have a new differential "fitted".

There is a possiblity the Quaife my not work all the time - but the ZF will always work.

Ken
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Feb 25 2005, 10:27 AM
Post #19

rich herzog

QUOTE (brant @ Feb 25 2005, 10:39 AM)
how much resistance would each wheel need to provide in order to have the diff functioning?

...(AJRS) claims that there is a HP threshold.  somewhere around 225hp, the ZF becomes supperior...

...how much pressure does it require to make the TB work?  I'm guessing (based on AJ's comments) that the TB functions with even partial pressure upon it.

short answer: i have no idea, and therefore the rest must be categorised as speculation and conjecture - which you are free to disregard as such. as i don't have engineering test numbers, nor access to an instrumented test vehicle and acceptable track, i consider it all subject to discussion, test, investigation, and development - in which case, we'll probably all learn something ...

some background, which was spelled out in pithy form for me only recently (which means i probably knew and understood it on some level before, but i didn't know i knew it...). the "magick" in the Gleason Torque-Sensing (TorSen) diff is that it's practically impossible to back-drive a worm gear. i'd have to look again at the exploded pictures of the guts of a TB diff (and quite the machinework nightmare *that* is...) but with both wheels turning the same speed, there is no relative motion. so far so good.

with differential rates, it seems there's a resistance applied by one wheel, and a gear-effect opposition that applies more torque to the slower wheel (that'd be the inside, in a normal turn)

when that wheel begins to slip, becoming the *faster* wheel, more torque is transferred to the outer (non-spinning) wheel.

so - seems like the inner (slipping) wheel has to provide enough resistance to overcome the frictional losses in driving the internal worm gears. what is that, measured in real torque? i have no clue, but considering how hard it is to achieve any kind of relative motion with a Quaife diff just sitting in your lap, i bet it's somewhere between nontrivial and substantial.

this kinda goes with the "225HP" threshold - that seems a plausible number for the point at which a sticky race tire can be broken loose letting the clutchpack work better. i think that number is probably lower in limited-traction conditions, such as a rallye car's loose gravel or the glare ice i faced this morning just trying to move my car into a parking space.

Mark Donohue was a big fan of the spool and a very smooth driver. one drawback to the spool is that the "friction circle" technique tends to promote understeer, because the braking-while-turning and the accellerating-while-turning forces with equal drive to the back wheels tend to make the car go straight. only if you can consistently develop adequate slip angles with the drive wheels can the car be pursuaded to turn. (hence the change in driving styles you observed.)

917's and 935's had very beautiful titanium spools, and WEVO makes a similarly beautiful spool for the 915 (although i'm pretty sure it's steel). 917's and 935's had enough power to produce rear wheel slip...
+Quote Post
BigD9146gt
post Feb 25 2005, 10:56 AM
Post #20

OCD member

Member No.: 3,502
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

QUOTE (KenH @ Feb 24 2005, 08:35 AM)

Ken

I don't understand this statement, would you please elaberate.

The Quaife locks between 15% and 80% depending on the amount of change between the wheel that is loosing grip/spinning and the wheel that has hook-up. Your statement, if i'm reading it correctly, is what a non-limited slip does.

Now a clutch pack diff will slip at what ever the precent is throughout the entire range. If its set at 80%, at any speed, it will slip 80% everywhere.

Am i mis-informed?

Thanks, Don (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 04:15 PM