Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brake master cylinder woes
jmargush
post Jun 22 2015, 08:30 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,176

I put a new 19mm master cylinder from PMB on my car within the last two years.

The pedal had been getting a little more travel in it over the past week or two.

Yesterday at the Autox the pedal got enough travel that it tripped the warning light on.

Does this point to a failed master cylinder?

If I pump the pedal it will build pressure and reduce travel. after this is done it doesn't seem to drift to the floor with continued pressure.

I bought from PMB because I learned form Eric that the ones you by at FLAPS don't have the correct material in the seals and that a new one should last years.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 22 2015, 08:56 AM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

It means you have air getting into your system. Could be from the master cylinder, could be from the calipers, could be from the lines. Time to start going over the system carefully, looking for leaks.

--DD
+Quote Post
screenguy914
post Jun 22 2015, 11:27 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,540
Region Association: Southern California

Discounting any external leakage, increased pedal travel during braking usually indicates an internal leak in the MC.

However, increased pedal travel during heavy braking (autoX use) usually points to boiling fluid and thus increasing pedal travel and softness.

Sherwood
+Quote Post
worn
post Jun 22 2015, 11:52 AM
Post #4

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(jmargush @ Jun 22 2015, 07:30 AM) *

I put a new 19mm master cylinder from PMB on my car within the last two years.

The pedal had been getting a little more travel in it over the past week or two.

Yesterday at the Autox the pedal got enough travel that it tripped the warning light on.

Does this point to a failed master cylinder?

If I pump the pedal it will build pressure and reduce travel. after this is done it doesn't seem to drift to the floor with continued pressure.

I bought from PMB because I learned form Eric that the ones you by at FLAPS don't have the correct material in the seals and that a new one should last years.

The warning light is activated by a shuttle that moves towards the side of low pressure, generally a leak in front or rear of the system. As Dave says it could also be that the fluid got low enough to entrain air in the front or rear causing the low pressure, but a leaking fitting or caliper would be my bet. Check the inside of each tire for signs of fluid. Fix it before driving it more, but you probably have already reached the same conclusion. IMHO the master is the last place I would look other than perhaps to find out which side is low, front or back. Not that Eric is infallible. No wait, not certain about that.
+Quote Post
jmargush
post Jun 22 2015, 06:31 PM
Post #5

I am always fearful when I have installed the MC that he feed lines don't go in all the way. I have felt the little snap or pop as if falls into the seat int he grommet but I always wonder if it is fully seated.

Does anyone have a recommended installation that they feel makes sure the feed lines are seated?

Has there ever been a modification to use lines with threaded ends in that application? I know you would have to have the MC be able to accept the threaded fittings.
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Jun 22 2015, 07:08 PM
Post #6

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

QUOTE(jmargush @ Jun 22 2015, 08:31 PM) *

I am always fearful when I have installed the MC that he feed lines don't go in all the way. I have felt the little snap or pop as if falls into the seat int he grommet but I always wonder if it is fully seated.

Does anyone have a recommended installation that they feel makes sure the feed lines are seated?

Has there ever been a modification to use lines with threaded ends in that application? I know you would have to have the MC be able to accept the threaded fittings.

Anytime I install a MC I remove the clamp holding the reservoir allowing the lines to be pulled further down. Then I can get good access and leverage to fully seat the lines.

With that being said, The last time I messed with the MC on my driver I tapped the two inlets on my master cylinder and put threaded fittings on eliminating the grommets. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jun 22 2015, 09:39 PM
Post #7

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jun 22 2015, 06:08 PM) *
With that being said, The last time I messed with the MC on my driver I tapped the two inlets on my master cylinder and put threaded fittings on eliminating the grommets. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Id like to see that. Do you have a pic or two of that setup?
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Jun 23 2015, 05:43 AM
Post #8

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

This is the only picture I have at the moment.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
jmargush
post Jun 26 2015, 06:40 PM
Post #9

Starting the process of trying to find where the brake system might be drawing air in.

If the bleed screws on the calipers were leaking wouldn't they be pushing fluid out or am I not thinking about this correctly?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 26 2015, 06:54 PM
Post #10

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(jmargush @ Jun 26 2015, 05:40 PM) *

Starting the process of trying to find where the brake system might be drawing air in.

If the bleed screws on the calipers were leaking wouldn't they be pushing fluid out or am I not thinking about this correctly?

Yes. they would bleed out not in.
+Quote Post
worn
post Jun 26 2015, 07:05 PM
Post #11

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(jmargush @ Jun 26 2015, 05:40 PM) *

I should think they would bleed fluid out and air back in. No leaking fluid at all anywhere I take it? Both reservoirs showed full when the warning light came on? Shouldn't have but that is theory.
+Quote Post
jmargush
post Jun 27 2015, 11:07 AM
Post #12

Yeah, no fluid showing up any where and reservoir is full to the top.

Would it be feasible that I am drawing air in at the grommets for the feed lines to the MC and not see fluid leaking out?
+Quote Post
jmargush
post Jun 29 2015, 07:52 PM
Post #13

Should I start by rebleeding the whole system?
or pull the MC down and pull the feed lines out and re install or even get new grommets?
+Quote Post
914Mels
post Jun 30 2015, 10:09 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 13,221

How old are your calipers? If they have not been touched in years the piston seals may be sticking to the pistons keeping them from self adjusting out as the pads wear. By pumping the pedal and getting a good pedal that way it sounds like the pads aren't close enough to the rotors so you're having to pump them out to take up the excess clearance. If indeed you have a hard pedal after pumping them, you probably do not have a internal leak. A internal leak would still have the pedal fade after you pump up some pressure. Don't for get about the rear calipers adjustment process either. If that gap is too big you'll end up with a low pedal.
+Quote Post
jmargush
post Jun 30 2015, 12:44 PM
Post #15

All the calipers were rebuilt about 12 yrs ago

I'll have to get back in the car and see exactly what the pedal is doing after pumping
I'll also run through rear brake adjustment procedure again
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:23 AM