Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New member question, Please be gentle!
reverie
post Feb 24 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 427
Region Association: None

Unless I am mistaken, those wheels are the rare 1972-only VW "Baja Champion" wheels, right? (sometimes called "Marathon" wheels).

Quite rare, they are collector's items now. In North America, 5000 Beetles/ Superbeetles (1000 in Europe) came with them as original equipment. They could also be ordered thru the VW parts dept until the supply ran out sometime in '73. They are not the same as 1971 Jubilee wheels, which are completely different, as are 1973 Sport Beetle wheels.

Wow, they look great on your car!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Feb 24 2005, 08:56 PM
Post #42

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I've never seen those wheels. How many spokes, 10-12?

Here's my Western's.

KT

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Feb 24 2005, 08:58 PM
Post #43

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Nice car, BTW!

More pics...

KT
+Quote Post
stags14
post Feb 24 2005, 09:43 PM
Post #44

Meep Meep Meep Meep Meep!!!

Member No.: 3,653

QUOTE (reverie @ Feb 24 2005, 08:45 PM)
Unless I am mistaken, those wheels are the rare 1972-only VW "Baja Champion" wheels, right?  (sometimes called "Marathon" wheels).

Quite rare, they are collector's items now.  In North America, 5000 Beetles/ Superbeetles (1000 in Europe) came with them as original equipment.  They could also be ordered thru the VW parts dept until the supply ran out sometime in '73.  They are not the same as 1971 Jubilee wheels, which are completely different, as are 1973 Sport Beetle wheels.

Wow, they look great on your car!

I am not sure what wheels they are... If these are the 72 "marathon" wheels, any idea what they are worth? here is a close up pic:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
reverie
post Feb 24 2005, 11:44 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 427

Yep, that's them! Yours are in good condition, too. It's very hard to find them in good condition.. most of them have been pitted by surface rust and have dents on the outer lip.

Their value is limited by their weight (heavy, made of steel) and their narrowness (165's are the widest you can go), so the VW street crowd isn't much interested in them, but the VW show crowd is.

Bare wheels in good condition are worth $50 each, and if you have any good original center caps (extremely hard to find) those are worth $50 each also. The lug nuts are just throw-ins. So if you have 4 of these wheels in good condition, with 4 good original center caps, I think you can get $400 for the set on www.thesamba.com The buyer usually pays shipping, and mind the weight of these wheels before you agree to pay part of that. Or you could sell them at a VW show/ swap meet. Wheels like yours are very hard to find (I've never seen a good set for sale), and VW parts collectors are looking for them, so I wouldn't accept much less than top dollar.

But they look nice on your car..
+Quote Post
jr91472
post Feb 25 2005, 10:15 AM
Post #46

"I'm pacing myself sergeant..."

Member No.: 2,437

QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Feb 24 2005, 09:28 AM)
You will not find it listed in public. There are, umm, potential issues with it--and it is very unwise to discuss in a public forum. Though if someone PM's you the location....

hmm...did a search, but the link...no workie....

wish someone would send me a pm.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Feb 25 2005, 10:33 AM
Post #47

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

QUOTE (stags14 @ Feb 24 2005, 10:07 AM)
I plan on enjoying the car this summer (relatively trouble free I hope). And next winter I would like to do a very thorough restoration of the entire vehicle. It would be nice to find a 2.0 engine that I could start rebuilding this summer.

Um unless you don't have a job and devote every waking hour to the "very thorough restoration" that car could be on jack stands for years, ask several members here. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
stags14
post Feb 25 2005, 10:43 AM
Post #48

Meep Meep Meep Meep Meep!!!

Member No.: 3,653

QUOTE (jr91472 @ Feb 25 2005, 11:15 AM)
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Feb 24 2005, 09:28 AM)
You will not find it listed in public.  There are, umm, potential issues with it--and it is very unwise to discuss in a public forum.  Though if someone PM's you the location....

hmm...did a search, but the link...no workie....

wish someone would send me a pm.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif)

Someone was kind enough to send me a link the other day - and I downloaded 1 item from there.

That link however has not been working for the past 2 days....

Hopefully I will get another PM!!!

+Quote Post
djm914-6
post Feb 25 2005, 03:24 PM
Post #49

Happiness is: Getting on the road

Member No.: 248

I got an anonomous package in the mail one day with all of the files on one CD. I wish I knew wo sent it to me so I could ask them to send one to Stags too.
edit: I wonder if I still have that disk? I doubt it. I'm sure it's not as good as the "Factory Manuals" anyway. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 05:09 PM