Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Subaru conversion
zipedadoo
post Jun 25 2015, 08:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,921
Region Association: None

I got this 1971 1.7 car about 3 years for $1800 for my son to drive to high school.

I painted it in the garage and it looks good from 1000 yrds or so..(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I got it running pretty good. And did the brakes, wheel bearings, shifter bushings, fuel lines etc.

I did ok for a year or so but it developed massive blow-by.

So after discussing our options we decided to put a subaru engine and transmission in.

We more or less just followed those that have gone before us...so nothing really new.

But we did learn a few things and thought we would share a few pics.

First the donor........

A 1995 outback with a 2.2 5 speed.

95-96 is when Subaru changed from OBD I to OBD II so its just about the worst year car to get for a conversion.

Attached Image

I pulled the engine and transmission, wire harness, full pump, fuel lines, radiator etc.

Once I got the wire harness cut down I hooked the engine up and got it started. Just to see if it would run.

Attached Image

I replaced the timing belt, oil pump seals and valve cover gaskets to seal up the Subaru. I also modified the transmission to 2wd. I welded the gears and made my own block off plate. A rear view......

Attached Image

This car has a mechanical speedometer cable. The VSS is the speedometer head in the dash. So I did some backwoods engineering and connected the Subaru cable to the Porsche cable to make the speedometer work. Then I made a speed sensor from a Subaru ABS sensor and some 1/4 key stock welded to a hose clamp, which was clamped to the inner CV joint....

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

The speedometer works but it reads about 20 mph fast.....good for a teenager...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

We put the radiator in the engine compartment. My son plays the guitar and needs the front trunk for the amp...We live in northern Az. So we might get away with it. So far it runs right at 190 degrees without the fans on.

Attached Image
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

So far the air scoop has not dragged on anything. But he will have to watch it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 12:43 PM