Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Overheated brakes?, Ever actually done this?
seanery
post Feb 24 2005, 04:27 PM
Post #21

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

Eric,
did you get a package today?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fiid
post Feb 24 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #22

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

I have I have - gotten brake fade with stock brakes.....

In the Miata....

On Skyline dirive (on the peninsula).

Which is really wierd because the Miata has vented disks. Kinda freaks me out. Same road with the 914 - no such luck.

+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Feb 24 2005, 05:16 PM
Post #23

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (fiid @ Feb 24 2005, 03:02 PM)
I have I have - gotten brake fade with stock brakes.....

In the Miata....

On Skyline dirive (on the peninsula).

Which is really wierd because the Miata has vented disks. Kinda freaks me out. Same road with the 914 - no such luck.

Funnily enough, my Alfa brake fade incident was also on Skyline, on the section between 92 and Alice's. 160hp, 2900lb Alfa w/ vented rotors all round = overheated brakes. 115hp, 2400lb Alfa with solid rotors all round = no overheating brakes. Vented rotors aren't magic. They'll overheat bad if there's not enough air to them and you stress them hard enough.

+Quote Post
john rogers
post Feb 24 2005, 05:19 PM
Post #24

Group: Members
Member No.: 391

As you have found out there are several things that can reduce the chances of brake fade from over heating. Clean, hi temp brake fluid, larger calipers which provide a larger heat sink for the fluid, vented rotors with some cooling air directed at them and short hard braking instead of easing onto the brakes. A couple of additional items are much longer brake lines in front so there is more fluid volume to absorb heat, a fluid recirculator with the lines going through a cool can type of setup and finally a water mister in the cooling ducts to help cool things off. We don't have much room for the recirc system but I have added 36 inch long sections of line for the front brakes when I switched to Volvo calipers and will have to wait until the first race in Tecate Mx to see if the fade problem has been licked. It was raining in Phoenix so it did not matter. The long brake lines is a trick used by the BMW 2002 vintage race guys as they have a lot of trouble with brake fade they told me and this cured it.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 24 2005, 05:25 PM
Post #25

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

did you get a package today?

I did... but what does any of this have to do with my browser? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

I did, I did get a package today. I got a bunch of packages today:

22 caliper cores
24 rebuild kits
24 plugs
4 outer adjuster screws...
...and 2 beautiful number circles with the coolest, correct silouette that I've been aching for (cup circles with a teener at the bottom for those who are wondering). PM me the amount and PayPal address and I'll cash you out tonight.

Has anyone seen Andy and his Big-ass brakes that stop on a dime? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 01:10 AM