Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Making a change..., damn things can happen fast - Moving to MI
blackmoon
post Jun 29 2015, 09:47 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,106
Region Association: None

Thanks for your help over the years. Michigan is a little to far to come up and help on an occasional Sunday. Wish both well with your new endeavors
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gopack
post Jun 29 2015, 09:57 AM
Post #42

CHEESEHEAD in CA, MARK

Member No.: 2,472
Region Association: Northern California

It is funny because the post title grabbed my attention. I am doing the reverse move in the next 2-4 weeks. Central NY to the Bay area. maybe we will cross paths. the only difference is that i had to sell the 914 for food money a couple of years ago.
Things sure move fast once the trigger is pulled!

Good luck Mark!
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 29 2015, 10:17 AM
Post #43

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Jun 29 2015, 05:40 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 29 2015, 02:05 AM) *

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jun 28 2015, 08:15 PM) *

Congrats!! But crap I was going to be bringing my car up to you later this fall.

Did you see that new trailer? He will be hauling in projects from all over the country now!

You're still covered! My 914 will be going to Michigan this winter for a top-end rebuild.

The OC can cover a lot more ground now...

Rob,
We have great hospitals in MI too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Why not locate here in MI.?? Life is good in MI and we have lots of Water. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
Tom

Bliz,
We have actually considered a move back to the Midwest. Yopu is all for it but I am pretty sure that once she experiences 3 feet of snow and -30 degrees she wouldn't come out of the house for 4-5 months out of the year. Remember, where she's from, 70 degrees is cold. I just don't think you can take a tropical girl into that...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Jun 29 2015, 10:29 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 11,461

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 28 2015, 05:43 PM) *

Sounds like right move. Obviously trader joe's values your wife and her skills. Best of luck! If like last year you shouldn't have to worry about snow until October. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yes and it will most likely be gone by March. So that's only 6 months of every year.
(Born in Ann Arbor, grew up in upstate NY, fled to Cali)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post Jun 29 2015, 10:38 AM
Post #45

Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 384

Very exciting.. but sad to see you go. I visited your shop only a few times (was at Dr. Evils transaxle clinic last year with my son), but was counting on you/it as a resource when I finally start the teardown and restore of my '76. VW/Porsche shops used to be a staple in the 70's, 80's and early 90's but now finding a few in any metro area is not easy.

I'd be happy to participate in any shop clean up/parts clear out you need to do to move. Moving a shop is a massive bear (done that too many times with employers and friends) but I know my way 'round a forklift, engine hoist and heavy equipment rigging. Let us know when you need to do the heavy lifting.

I sure like the prospect of potentially using the shop now and then if arrangements can work out (the lift for suspension work rather than crawling around the floor here at home).

Greatest of luck to you and family. A great adventure.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 29 2015, 10:43 AM
Post #46

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

EXACTLY!!! my cousin in east aurora ny called to complain about how "she couldn't take it anymore!" every week. "gee cus, only 58 years to figure it out?". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
jgara962
post Jun 29 2015, 11:13 AM
Post #47

Yo, this is how I roll

Member No.: 3,879

So you mean I'm going to have to start working on my own car again?!?!

This is a big move and I'm sure it will be great for you and Alison. I've been spoiled having you live only a couple of miles away and the shop a 15 minute drive. You've been an incredible resource.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Jun 29 2015, 11:39 AM
Post #48

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Bad news Homie, I am less than 6hrs from there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) That is closer than I am to ScottyB. Scott will be happy for the relief (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
wes
post Jun 29 2015, 12:05 PM
Post #49

wes

Member No.: 8,436

Congratulations on your big move, always fun, exciting, and memorable! You are moving to a wonderful part of the country though the winter becomes quite long come January and February (Minnesota transplant) spring and especially fall are gorgeous with the colors, what no earthquake! Real estate values are in your favor and yes you can use water with no thought to the next rainfall!
Anyway as I'm sure you know you will be missed by the westerners though thanks to the to this site we can all keep up with your new challenges.
Hey it's going to be a longer drive to the next WCR. And finally so whats the date for that going away BBQ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
MartyYeoman
post Jun 29 2015, 01:36 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 839

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 28 2015, 06:31 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Congrats!

You will be missed and there will be a void in NorCal when you are gone.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) What he said.
+Quote Post
69telecaster
post Jun 29 2015, 03:16 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 11,558

Ignore the nay-sayers and exaggerators. You'll love it here.
I'm just up the road in White Cloud, "where the north begins and the pure waters flow" as the sign says. Bring your waders!
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 29 2015, 03:24 PM
Post #52

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Thanks for the support everyone. It's 90+ today here in Sonoma. Grand Rapids, is about 80. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I think I nailed down exactly what I love about MI summers. I'm sweating buckets.....
+Quote Post
warpig
post Jun 29 2015, 03:48 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 12,002
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Shit, I was really looking forward to making up excuses to ride down to the OC shop again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I can understand fleeing Kalifornia, but Michigan? Are you sure you can handle those uptight East Coast types? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) Maybe you can get a turbo ice racer put together before winter. Its got to be more fun than ice fishing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jun 29 2015, 04:40 PM
Post #54

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

I just came across this on the internet. A site called Thrillist ranked all 50 States. Florida came in last as it always does in every one of these things but as I scrolled to the number 1 I was surprised! Michigan!

Here is the text...

1. Michigan
Far too much of the Michigan narrative centers on Detroit and its many issues. The Motor City’s become a scrappily rising underdog you can’t help but root for, but Michigan’s greatest strengths lie in the state as a whole. Did you know Michigan has more coastline than any state other than Alaska? Did you know it has such an embarrassment of beer riches that you can easily hit Bell’s and Founders in the same afternoon? Did you know the UP is so remote and uniquely beautiful that it almost feels like a secret 51st state where they inexplicably love British meat pies? Did you know most residents are more than happy to apologize for Eric Shea? If you answered yes to at least three of these than you already understand Michigan’s charms. If you answered no to these questions, you should listen to the dulcet tones of Michigan tourism pitchman Tim Allen and get yourself there immediately.

Who knew?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 29 2015, 05:44 PM
Post #55

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Go for it. I'll still see ya right here on the board. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Little bars will have 40+ kinds of beers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I think you'll like mid-America. The people really care about their neighbor's there. Your not going to get sued every time you fart, either. Prices will be lower. Leave your flip flops in Kali. Be sure to take in Mackinac Island and the Oskosh Fly-in the last week in July. The roasted corn they have is great but I never got into the Brat's. And the girls (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif). All they want to do is screw and drink beer until winter. They don't drink much beer in the winter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Your gonna love it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 29 2015, 05:54 PM
Post #56

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Dude!~ I just saw this too. Great idea!

Yeah, you're gonna want winter clothes.

Hey call me. I have a six week window after July 4th I don't have any travel, just work. There is almost certainly a on call week in there, but that's better than it used to be. I can be flexible. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
jgara962
post Jun 29 2015, 07:20 PM
Post #57

Yo, this is how I roll

Member No.: 3,879

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 29 2015, 02:24 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Thanks for the support everyone. It's 90+ today here in Sonoma. Grand Rapids, is about 80. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I think I nailed down exactly what I love about MI summers. I'm sweating buckets.....

Yeah, but do you know what the humidity will do to your hair??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
mr914
post Jun 29 2015, 08:02 PM
Post #58

914 Hillbilly

Member No.: 131

Outstanding!

The only problem with the left hand part of the state is the lake effect snows. All in all, you'll love the GR area.
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Jun 29 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 28 2015, 05:25 PM) *

About 10 days ago my wife was officially offered a transfer to the new Trader Joes opening in Grand Rapids, MI. We have friends who live there and have been almost every year for the last 12 years. It’s a great place and we decided to take the plunge and make the move. It’s all been happening very fast, so it’s a little scary, but very exciting.

I’m moving Original Customs and will be finding a bigger shop (for half the rent) and continuing to do restoration work, engine building, and all the other projects I’ve been working on. The tricky part was that I don’t want to abandon the customers I have in CA and so I realized the easiest solution was to just get a nice trailer and plan on transporting projects myself. This also expands the range I can service. Before I was mainly seeing people from the west coast, and I’ll now be able to help people from all over the country. With constant email and photo updates, a car that’s 2000 miles away would be the same as a car thats 50 miles away. I’m also considering building an ‘apartment’ into the shop and letting people stay there and work on their project. Maybe do a little welding training, let people blast and powdercoat some of their own parts, etc.

Right now I’m still working on the details of the move and communicating with the people who’s cars are already in the shop now. Then I’ll be contacting the people who are on my wait-list to see who still interested in having work done. If anyone would like to talk about their project, drop me a PM.

Plus, now I can give Rick Ollah some competition for all those Furthest Distance Travelled awards. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Here's my new four car hauler before we renovate it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

To bad she didn't get a job In Monrovia Ca Trader joe's headquarters
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 29 2015, 08:16 PM
Post #60

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Just like napa - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:06 PM