Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> To those with 3.2s, Can I use the engine compartment fan switch
worn
post Jun 28 2015, 07:51 PM
Post #1

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I finished making connections between '72 914 and '84? 911 3.2 using weather sealed Deutsch connectors from JEGs in place of the 14 pin plug for which I had no corresponding make plugs at either end.

One thing that puzzled me was a sender switch on the plate for venting the case on the engine. After a lot of poking around this would have stayed in the on position if the engine were hot,turning on the heater fan, forcing air through the shroud and the heat exchagers. It is labeled as engine compartment fan, but it also delivers the heat on those crisp days in the Alps.

Once I figured that one out, I realized it could be used to instead operate the fans for my remote oil cooler mounted under trunk, ala the immortal build thread for Mike Wills. So, I know this did not show up in many model years, but has anyone done it, and more important, does it work. Apparently the switch drives a relay that turns the fan on when the oil warms up to drive the fan. I have a relay, and a fan, and by God I hope to warm the oil this year!

Please help if you know what I am talking about, or even if you don't.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
screenguy914
post Jun 29 2015, 02:13 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,540
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(worn @ Jun 28 2015, 06:51 PM) *

I finished making connections between '72 914 and '84? 911 3.2 using weather sealed Deutsch connectors from JEGs in place of the 14 pin plug for which I had no corresponding make plugs at either end.

One thing that puzzled me was a sender switch on the plate for venting the case on the engine. After a lot of poking around this would have stayed in the on position if the engine were hot,turning on the heater fan, forcing air through the shroud and the heat exchagers. It is labeled as engine compartment fan, but it also delivers the heat on those crisp days in the Alps.

Once I figured that one out, I realized it could be used to instead operate the fans for my remote oil cooler mounted under trunk, ala the immortal build thread for Mike Wills. So, I know this did not show up in many model years, but has anyone done it, and more important, does it work. Apparently the switch drives a relay that turns the fan on when the oil warms up to drive the fan. I have a relay, and a fan, and by God I hope to warm the oil this year!

Please help if you know what I am talking about, or even if you don't.

Not aware of it on US 3.2s. However, you might consider using a manual ON-OFF switch to control the remote cooler fan and relay. Then you can control and confirm its operation as you see fit.

Sherwood

User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Jun 29 2015, 06:57 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

I can't see any downside to having it control a relay to turn on an oil cooler fan. The 3.2s can get hot (as we found out at the French Lick Parade when sitting in traffic just idling). It would probably be nice to have a dash mounted switch as well since it's better to keep the oil cool than try to cool it back down when it's too hot.
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Jun 29 2015, 12:12 PM
Post #4

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I have a "non-stock" 3.2 in my car with a GT-style front oil cooler but no fan. So far, I've not seen temps above 215-220F based on logging with the laptop, but until I get actual gauge readings while driving it's hard to tell. I worry a bit about those hot days in New Mexico like yesterday when it was just below 100 outside. I agree with the mantra that it's much better to keep cool than try to cool down afterwards.

I can't help you with your specific question, but I am thinking that automatic or manual fan control would be conducive to longevity. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)
+Quote Post
worn
post Jun 30 2015, 09:25 PM
Post #5

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(Madswede @ Jun 29 2015, 11:12 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I have a "non-stock" 3.2 in my car with a GT-style front oil cooler but no fan. So far, I've not seen temps above 215-220F based on logging with the laptop, but until I get actual gauge readings while driving it's hard to tell. I worry a bit about those hot days in New Mexico like yesterday when it was just below 100 outside. I agree with the mantra that it's much better to keep cool than try to cool down afterwards.

I can't help you with your specific question, but I am thinking that automatic or manual fan control would be conducive to longevity. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif)

Well the flip side is queries on rennelist and the bird board wondering why the heater fan runs after the car is shut off. I figure it can now run a relay to an oil cooler at least. I still will look out for trouble. It is stamped at 135 degress c, but looks like it shuts around 115 or so, that is it conducts current then. Above boiling for sure. Not sure how well a centre mounted cooler is gonna work anyway. I do know I love the front trunk and the rear trunk for hitting the road. One for tools the other for my wife's luggage and we are both happy. Can't ask for more.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:30 PM