Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Factory Look Plastic Radio Faceplate 70-74, What Radio Goes with This Plate ?
914Sixer
post Jun 30 2015, 08:50 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

I ran across this faceplate in the top of the picture but I do not remember seeing the Motorola radio that his goes with. Anybody have a picture of one or one installed in a car?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 30 2015, 09:50 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Attached Image

Mark,

That top one goes to the Motorola AM/FM/8-track - 4 amber lites at center are track indicators (8-tracks play 2 at a time apparently); M & S are to select Mono or Stereo with right amber for latter on. It's sized for the 72> cars with the shrter glovebox door & side dash air vents (late dash).

How do I know? I had that one in my 73 914-2L since 12/75 & PO was OO & they got it put in by the dealer when new! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Jeff Bowlsby has pix of that stereo unit of mine & faceplate on his Classic 914 website's accessories section.

PS - it's pulled out now for as far as I'd gotten stripping down the car for body & paint tbd.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Jun 30 2015, 10:06 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

As Tom mentioned, from Jeff's Classic 914 site:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/bowlsby.net-12234-1435723615.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 30 2015, 10:51 PM
Post #4

TMI....

.... And - I still have a couple dozen 8-track cartridges too!

.... but I'm sure that their tape & oxide is pretty fragile by now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jul 1 2015, 06:00 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Thanks Tom, I had completely forgotten about 8-tracks.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 1 2015, 02:30 PM
Post #6

TMI....

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 1 2015, 05:00 AM) *

Thanks Tom, I had completely forgotten about 8-tracks.

LOL .... most folks have Mark! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I used to be teased incessantly by my friends to step up to a cassette unit, which I eventually did when I got a gift one!

But I always thought the sound quality was much better from the 8-tracks - other than the clack-clack at track changes, & that was recently borne out in an article in one of my recent classic car & resto magazines (Hemmings Sports & Exotics I think.... maybe).

Anyhoo - I'm glad I saved mine to reinstall now, & I'll figure out a way to transfer the music from the old 8-tracks or get a digital version of them to play. I'll get a hidden digital converter unit with 3.5mm & USB inputs in any case from the Woody's guys in Costa Mesa & evil-bay (they always set up at the March Porsche Swap Meet in Anaheim in March).

http://woodyscustomshop.com/

http://stores.ebay.com/Woodys-Custom-Shop

They also offer nice "modern" classic look radios, so they have 2 ways to go for those interested.

If you bought that faceplate, good luck with the sale. And please keep me posted on any more OE white button/chrome rim Hella interior lights per our last PMs!

PS - I just ran across these again at Woody's shop (see what you started Mark!) - a great way to get 4 speakers into a 914, with these two set under or behind the 914 seats! No cutting up the interior, & removable for concours judging!!! ;-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Hidden-Under-R...=item54201f0055

In addition to the hidden digital/MP3/iPod/etc. adapters & those 2 speakers above, they also have hidden antenna solutions, for those who want to delete their stock manual or power antenna.

If you're in OC or SoCal (LA, IE, SD, etc.) it's worth a trip to Costa Mesa where they can help out fit your needs/desires on 914 & other classics & hot rods too.

I need to run down there for the hidden digital converter for my 85 BMW 325e's radidio! ;-) The 88 Westy already has a new radio to go into it with blue teeth & all, just need a pigtail plud adapter for the 88 to current radio/audio unit standards from them, so I don't have to cut up the wiring for a new plug!

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jul 1 2015, 05:07 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

I did not buy anything. I just saw the plate and went HUMMMM. I know I must have had at least a a dozen cars with 8 track. I put in a Craig Floor Mount console one the the 1973 911T Targa I bought off the show room floor.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:30 AM