Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rotisserie Alternatives, Looking for options
JoeDees
post Jun 30 2015, 09:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,106
Region Association: None

I've concluded that I need to replace significant portions of the lower wheelhouse, inner long, and the suspension console. I've spent the day researching and reading the classic threads and like many of the rack-like assemblies my predecessors have built. Let's hear some easy but still effective ways to get this thing off the ground and straight enough for structural repairs.

I really like the one for "Bringing out your Dead" but can't quite figure out the points it's mounted.

After bracing the doors, can I use the front jack points, a long support along the floors, the outer suspension console, and the trans mount area?

I ready for some ideas. I'm trying to develop as many COAs (Courses of Action) as possible. Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 30 2015, 09:32 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

I would build a rolling cart. A rotisserie may make the body sag during cutting and welding. Use the 4 donuts on the underside of the body to mount the tub.
+Quote Post
madmax914
post Jul 1 2015, 12:14 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,007
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Check out Restoration Design's Youtube page, they have a do-it-yourself rotisserie that seems pretty basic.

www.restoration-design.com

https://youtu.be/T0a4xq91jgs
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Jul 1 2015, 05:50 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Just finished working through that same decision myself. I ended up building a dolly. After reading through a ton of rustoration threads and looking over their approaches and the discussions on whether the bracing was adequate, I came to Mike's conclusion that if you want it to be straight, it's going to need to be not just well-braced but also level while you're welding.

That in mind, I welded up a dolly. This gives me a level and square reference. Then I fabricated brackets to mount to the suspension mounts. My donuts are not (yet) fit for this. I've got door braces to adjust, but there is also the top rail of the dolly that I can use as a straight reference and shim against if there is sagging in the longs.

And if push comes to shove, I can still make a rotisserie. But for now, I think a rotisserie will be best for painting. I'm planning to have a pro do that and hope they will have something.
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Jul 1 2015, 11:36 AM
Post #5

I'm looking for a good dolly design. You have any pictures and plans for that dolly?
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Jul 1 2015, 08:32 PM
Post #6

The wife gave me a go ahead to buy a rotisserie with the money I made selling my Beetle, but I'm still on the fence. For 1, I don't want/need to completely strip the car; and 2, my last move seriously downgraded my garage size. So after I spent another day researching, I have 3 questions:

1. How much space from the bumper to the to the end of the rotisserie? My new garage has a curb separating the parking area from a storage/work area. Centered, there's about 1.5ft from the bumper to garage door and the same from the other bumper to the curb. Is this enough?

2. If I instead opt for a jig/dolly, can I use the outer suspension console as a mount point?

3. If the donut/jackpoint is one of the cut out areas, where should I brace in the middle-rear?

Thanks
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 1 2015, 08:40 PM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Jul 1 2015, 11:30 PM
Post #8

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

The 1.5 feet extra in front and back (if I understand correctly) should work, barely. You can build the rotisserie so it mounts closer to the car. I made this with no prior welding experience. I bought "the welders handbook" and my wife got me a 220v mig welder from Eastwood one Christmas. I went to a metal supply with the parts list from:
http://www.blueskymotorsports.com/index.ph...18&Itemid=6

I had to make a few adjustments based on material availability, but after about $300 in steel and an afternoons work cutting and welding I have this:

Attached Image

You're going to have to learn/practice welding anyway, thick material is the place to start. I have a 2nd 914 tub to work on now, I was thinking of building a dolly so I have one of each.

One thing to think about is how you're going to get it up in the rotisserie. I have a lift, so I have no need for attachments to raise or lower the car. I work on my cars alone so everything I do must be accomplished with one set of hands, a pain something's, but it is my retreat/my alone time.
+Quote Post
mr914
post Jul 2 2015, 12:29 AM
Post #9

914 Hillbilly

Member No.: 131

Either way, door jamb braces are THE NUMBER ONE PRIORITY!

Hinge hole to door latch, minimum. Better is both hinge mounts to latch mount and upper seat belt mount, with cross bracing.. Build a turnbuckle in for readjustment and that is even better...

My rotiserie was made of 2" thin and thick wall tubing for easy brake down and transporting.. Other was 1" square tubing and 1/4" plate. other parts by TSC/harbor freight. 6' come along was the only challenge, eithe mcmaster Carr or grainger

I can send/post more details

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mr914
post Jul 2 2015, 12:32 AM
Post #10

914 Hillbilly

Member No.: 131

Bracing photo. Strut and pressure plate used for counter ballance to help from spinning too easily

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 2 2015, 05:35 AM
Post #11

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

Build a rotisserie.
You will remove the bumpers and attach the rotisserie arms to the bumper mounting points. If your car is a 75/76 this is super easy. You just mount it directly to the bumper shocks.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm1.staticflickr.com-1435-1435836906.1.jpg)
Mine did not stick out much further then the bumpers and would fit in your garages.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm1.staticflickr.com-1435-1435836907.2.jpg)
My car is a 76, so I just bolted it directly to the bumper shocks. Pretty easy.

Mine was also built using 2 harbor freight engine stands. They were cheaper then I could buy the steel. I just cut them up and welded more to make it work.

I tried to talk myself out of making the rotisserie, but after I had the car up, I frankly could not see how anyone restored a car without one.

Added bonus: sold it for a small profit after the car was back on the ground again.

Zach
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Jul 2 2015, 06:38 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 10,428

If you can find a way to fit a rotisserie in your garage - do it...it will make the restoration much more manageable.

I had space constraints too. After installing body braces, I cut lengths of 2 X 4 and screwed them together with drywall screws. One side at a time, I held the car up with boards & jackstands to make repairs. It wasn't fun or efficient...but it did work.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
mbseto
post Jul 2 2015, 06:51 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jul 2 2015, 01:30 AM) *

...but after about $300...

Wow, is that $300 for just what's shown in the pic there? That seem pricey.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jul 2 2015, 06:51 AM
Post #14

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154

If anybody is in the Columbus area I found this on Craigslist.

Chassis Cart

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Somebody please buy it so that I can't!

Cheers.
Scott
+Quote Post
stugray
post Jul 2 2015, 08:35 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Jul 1 2015, 11:30 PM) *

I had to make a few adjustments based on material availability, but after about $300 in steel and an afternoons work cutting and welding I have this:

Attached Image

One comment: DO NOT leave that stand with the center horizontal support out! (the one that connects the two stands)
If you move that stand as it is and some of the wheels get caught on something it could rip one of the stands off easily.
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Jul 2 2015, 10:21 AM
Post #16

Thanks for the replies. I'm really leaning towards the rotisserie especially since I know this won't be my last project. The idea of not laying on the floor working in a cramped space over my head sounds wonderful.

I also figure that since there is an extra 6ft of space in my garage on top of the curb, I could always build a wooden platform to make the one end an equal height to the curb end.

Now I'm on the fence about building or buying. I really like that the premade ones have a better chance of being square than what I build, they have built in jacks to raise and lower, and the one I'm looking at has a locking mechanism in the spinner. On the DIY side, I really like that the money saved would buy the body panels I need from RD.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Jul 2 2015, 11:07 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

Buy two engine stands from HF and you have 90% of the materials.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jul 2 2015, 11:14 AM
Post #18

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

You need to build it.
Many of us learned to weld by building the rotisserie. Not to mention that it will cost you about 1/4 of a pre-fab unit.
Its an easy project, and is insanely useful.
Zach
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Jul 6 2015, 05:29 PM
Post #19

So the rotisserie is a GO, but it has brought up the next question: Bracing.

How much? I will definitely be bracing the doors, but is one per door enough? The longs under the doors are surprisingly good so will not be removed. Only passenger side needs cut and the predominance of the cutting is in the wheel house and engine compartment long. From the jack point to almost the outer suspension console is getting cut out; and on the inside, the inner long from bottom until the inner suspension console (including the console and long under it) is getting cut out. So what kind of bracing do I need to think of?

After reading Carey's thread, I'm sure I need a jig for the suspension console's fitment, so should I use the same jig to hold the rear in place or will just the door bracing be sufficient?
+Quote Post
cary
post Jul 7 2015, 06:04 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Next Time ................
https://www.jd2.com/p-94-dr-jig.aspx

We're going to rework my rotisserie. It will attach at the bumper and at the suspension points. Then we'll stack the floor pan jig on top of that.

Don't go cheezy on the door braces.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:25 PM