Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Probably a silly idea, relay of a Krusty icon cross country by 914
worn
post Jul 1 2015, 01:49 PM
Post #1

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

OK, I have these inspirations that often aren't. Well actually, usually aren't.

My thought is that we could do a loop of the continent by passing a memorial of some sort to the late Capn Krusty (and other passed list members) like a baton from 914 driven to 914 driven to 914.

Not sure about how closely packed we are in some places. In So Cal and Seattle you could probably just roll down your windows and pass from car to car. In Montana and Texas the ground stretches a bit longer.

Nor am I sure this is a great idea rather than just letting the memories linger as they will.

And of course it leaves out any 914 on jack stands except as a possible intermediary host. Excuse me while I duck behind the sofa of shielding while you let me know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

-Warren
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 1 2015, 01:51 PM
Post #2

can't remember

I should have added that I know that this is sandbox by nature, but then it isn't.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 1 2015, 02:00 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 73

Not too silly..could turn out to be the "weird thing we all do" and it would be a nice remembrance of John. There's something out there for kids called "Flat Stanley". They give it to people and the challenge is to get pictures taken in the coolest or most interesting places, or with interesting people. You could also do the coast to coast thing with one. Is that what you're going for? Do you want just one or can there be dozens made from one template?

Flat Stanley

If this is your vision someone needs to make a "Flat Cap'n Krusty" icon of some kind!

BTW The "flat" part references the fact that it's a piece of paper so that the character can be mailed to people in a standard envelope.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 1 2015, 02:12 PM
Post #4

can't remember

QUOTE(worn @ Jul 1 2015, 12:51 PM) *

I should have added that I know that this is sandbox by nature, but then it isn't.

I was thinking maybe we could get a solid version of the avatar, with a photograph, but we would also be willing to add names of less celebrated teeners who led no less celebrated lives. As requested. The basic idea would be not so much to record the adventures of the object, although photos would be nice, but actually have us meet people we do not know By driving our 914s to meet them in their 914s. And make a circle home. This is a bit like Stanley, and a bit different in that it isn't entirely governed by chance and circumstance, and is a little bit more oriented towards the participants.
+Quote Post
Eddie914
post Jul 1 2015, 02:16 PM
Post #5

Unregistered

... nice bottle of a favorite refreshment. Everyone along the way toast to John and take a small sip?
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 1 2015, 02:16 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 73

So like...the goal is the opposite of Stanley but using that type of "vessel". Sounds cool.
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Jul 1 2015, 04:17 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Now this is a great idea.

Perhaps John's wife could provide something that he cherished?
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Jul 1 2015, 04:37 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

I have no way to implement this but I thought maybe we could ask for donations to establish a scholarship to a mechanic school in his name. Would be a lot of work but it might be something that went on for years.

I would be in on the relay.
+Quote Post
markb
post Jul 1 2015, 05:32 PM
Post #9

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

I've been thinking about this, and I really don't know of anything that everyone would recognize as John's. I did think maybe just have something made that looks like his hat. Or maybe t-shits with the outline of it. Or something......

QUOTE(Big Len @ Jul 1 2015, 03:17 PM) *

+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 1 2015, 06:17 PM
Post #10

can't remember

QUOTE(markb @ Jul 1 2015, 04:32 PM) *

I've been thinking about this, and I really don't know of anything that everyone would recognize as John's. I did think maybe just have something made that looks like his hat. Or maybe t-shits with the outline of it. Or something......

QUOTE(Big Len @ Jul 1 2015, 03:17 PM) *

Well, since my original post I was thinking of a combination of that killer avatar he had with a part of high high quality that has run its last mile. Maybe a scored nikcasil cylinder or a ruined alu s type caliper. Something recognizably great. As for the toasting idea, it would take a case, which I am willing to buy.

With all of that said, the idea is teener driving to teener, with a meeting and a handoff. I pledge one rescue effort if the thing gets stalled somewhere. After that much, well I have 2 914s to care for.

Thanks for being kind folks.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jul 1 2015, 06:18 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

This is the closest thing I could find. Not quite the same. Maybe a small pic somewhere on the 914 world with RIP Capn' ?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
theleschyouknow
post Jul 1 2015, 07:25 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 15,967
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jul 1 2015, 05:37 PM) *

I have no way to implement this but I thought maybe we could ask for donations to establish a scholarship to a mechanic school in his name. Would be a lot of work but it might be something that went on for years.

I would be in on the relay.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
I would be in for something along these lines seems a fitting tribute/honor
logistics would be a bitch

I would be in for the relay as well

as for the memento or "baton" -not being a welder/fabricator I imagine a simple silhouette of his avatar's iconic hat cut out of sheet metal (maybe from a 914?)'boxed' out maybe a couple few inches & painted/powdered/plated might not be too difficult
it's easy to volunteer others' time and skills but I'd be willing to help with expenses on this (or any) such project

I haven't been around here as long as most and never met John but as I said in the RIP thread his death hit me more than I would have imagined for someone I never met or had any personal interaction with and knew only through his public interactions/advice/chastisements with/for/of others
he and his family remain in my thoughts in prayers
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jul 1 2015, 07:31 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

How about a Krusty mug that we could pass around and take turns toasting the mug in a photograph? Not drinking out of the mug ( I don't know where your mouth has been) but just clinking the glass with your choice of brew. A mug heavy enough to take a beating In a size that would fit in a flat rate box for shipment. I have a friend who does glass engraving.
+Quote Post
914Next
post Jul 1 2015, 08:20 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 17,695

I didn't know the Capt'n but I was exposed to his unique style and commitment to the World and have learned just how much he meant to the members. What if we combine a few of the good ideas here. Literally use the of passing of the hat around the 914World, one city to the next. In some cities where there are a number of World members, people can meet for a drink to toast the Capt'n and contribute to the hat. Each of us would have an opportunity to add financially to the money in the Captn's hat. When the tribute is complete....the funds go to the scholarship previously mentioned to honor John.

Its involved and would be some work....but sounds like many on here think John might just be deserving of that type of tribute.
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post Jul 1 2015, 08:48 PM
Post #15

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340
Region Association: South East States

I'm in for the relay if it makes its way to Louisiana or the scholarship or whatever as a memorial. Not a silly idea at all, Warren.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jul 1 2015, 08:53 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

I think it should start at Rusnak where he started and go East from there....that.s on R66.

Great idea.
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Jul 2 2015, 07:21 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 1 2015, 09:31 PM) *

A mug heavy enough to take a beating In a size that would fit in a flat rate box for shipment. I have a friend who does glass engraving.

A pewter stein would be durable.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jul 2 2015, 08:16 AM
Post #18

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I think some tribute would be in order.

Ideas:
1) re-badge an event in his honor- ie the West Coast Classic becomes the Krusty Coast Classic.
2) have an annual day where regions get together for a technical sharing of 914 knowledge and enthusiasm, call it the Annual Krusty Car Collaboration.
3) build a car collectively as a club, tribute drive it across the U.S. and Europe, auction it off for charity.
4) Get your own car off of jackstands and drive it!
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jul 2 2015, 03:12 PM
Post #19

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I never meet the man but Ill help where i can ! ... Nords Breakfast with Krustys memorabilia attending,Canada can take it from Artist point or vs versa

MikeC

+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 2 2015, 03:50 PM
Post #20

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

The only contribution that I have time for would be a $$$ contribution. This man saved me time and money and I would contribute thru something of this sort. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

http://www.giveforward.com/p/q/cancer-fund...CFRdsfgodpvUHPg
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:54 AM