Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Rust under battery tray, fixable?
peter71
post Feb 24 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,549

Hi, yet another question from a 914 rookie. I found a '73 2.0 that is in really good shape, except there is a patch of rust rot under the battery tray (around 3"x5")- a screwdriver could be easily pushed through. Is this a red flag, or is it a relatively easy (and hopefully inexpensive) fix? Where could i get this kind of work done and done well?

thanks for your help!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
skline
post Feb 26 2005, 11:37 PM
Post #21

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Yeah, I remember that car, it was clean on the outside. It wasnt even sagging but it was just a matter of time. That is the one all cut up in your garage now isnt it?
+Quote Post
peter71
post Feb 27 2005, 06:23 PM
Post #22

Is there anyone in the south bay area that can do the rust repair in the hellhole area?

thanks (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
sgomes
post Feb 27 2005, 07:15 PM
Post #23

Electric Member

Member No.: 2,029

He's not in the south bay but I'd vote for McMark. From what I've seen on here, he does a pretty damn good job!

914club profile

His homepage
+Quote Post
peter71
post Feb 27 2005, 09:50 PM
Post #24

What are the plugs in the picture? is one from a battery tray support? Other one possibly a drain (maybe one of the causes of the rust)? Is there a similar plug on the driver side?

thanks
+Quote Post
peter71
post Mar 1 2005, 08:35 AM
Post #25

Got some new pics of the rust from inside the engine compartment under battery tray? Whats the verdict??

thanks (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
peter71
post Mar 1 2005, 08:36 AM
Post #26

another.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
peter71
post Mar 1 2005, 08:37 AM
Post #27

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/huh.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
peter71
post Mar 1 2005, 08:40 AM
Post #28

Still repairable?? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sawzall-smiley.gif) At what kind of expense?

thanks
pete

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
skline
post Mar 1 2005, 08:45 AM
Post #29

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17

Well Pete, That doesnt look too bad. The battery tray is pretty much gone and will need a new one. They can be bought for around $60.00 and you can weld it in yourself. I have done a few of them. As for the rust underneath, it doesnt look like it got too much of the long so I would say its very repairable. As for cost? I dont know as I do all the work myself. If you were to pay someone to fix that, just for labor it could be about $300 or $400. Depends on where you take it. I hope this helps. It is easily fixable. I would go for it. If the price was right anyway.
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Mar 1 2005, 10:19 AM
Post #30

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

Hi Peter,

The new pics don't look that bad. I still think you should have the owner pull the rocker panels off and shoot pics of them for you if you haven't seen the jack post areas yet. Also, did he give you pics of the suspension console area (where the swing arm attaches to the body?).

I agree with Scott, fixable. You've got several ways to go here, you can buy replacement pieces, make your own pieces (a la Trekkor! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) ) which looked awesome by the way, etc. If you can't weld, I know several folks here in Campbell by us that can do it for you. Even some mobile welders who are car guys.

Just give that car another once over and have the PPI done. There's a tad more surface rust on the car than I'd prefer (just my preference) but if this is the only problem, it may be a solid car.

How much is he asking? If he hasn't discounted for the repairs....he should.

Let me know if I can help.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
bryanthompson
post Mar 1 2005, 10:36 AM
Post #31

Check it out... 3 loops!

Member No.: 1,970

pfft, it's only a flesh wound.

this, is rust (and no, i haven't made any progress yet):

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Triaddave
post Mar 1 2005, 10:47 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 1,478

here is a good check for a questionable car:
unlatch the targa top at the rear only,windows both down.grab the car by the rear wheel well and pull up and notice any reveal differences between the door and the body. if there is an issue with the car, it will show up here.
i had a 73 car that broke in a 20 mph turn,interesting ride.
+Quote Post
riverman
post Mar 1 2005, 01:07 PM
Post #33

Learn As I Go

Member No.: 3,466

I say jump right in and buy it. Then go to your FLAPS and buy 4 jack stands, 2 trolley jacks, an angle grinder, a box of cut-off/grinding wheels, a MIG welder, some POR-15, a complete set of metric wrenches, a mechanics dolley....

Then go to your FLLS (Friendly Local Liquor Store) and get a case of your favourite poison and then sit down at your computer and join the rest of poor, addicted, tortured souls.

I look forward to seeing your Progress Thread. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
scruz914
post Mar 1 2005, 03:12 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 1,724

QUOTE (nine14cats @ Mar 1 2005, 09:19 AM)
Hi Peter,

The new pics don't look that bad. I still think you should have the owner pull the rocker panels off and shoot pics of them for you if you haven't seen the jack post areas yet. Also, did he give you pics of the suspension console area (where the swing arm attaches to the body?).

I agree with Scott, fixable. You've got several ways to go here, you can buy replacement pieces, make your own pieces (a la Trekkor! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) ) which looked awesome by the way, etc. If you can't weld, I know several folks here in Campbell by us that can do it for you. Even some mobile welders who are car guys.

Just give that car another once over and have the PPI done. There's a tad more surface rust on the car than I'd prefer (just my preference) but if this is the only problem, it may be a solid car.

How much is he asking? If he hasn't discounted for the repairs....he should.

Let me know if I can help.

Bill P.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) With Scott's post too.

You should also take into consideration that there will be more damage under what you see now. Error on the worst case scenario side when estimating time and expenses. Pulling off the rockers is a must considering the rust you are seeing in the hell hole area. The battery tray is minor, way minor, compared to cancer in the longs. You should look at both sides of the car.

What does the rest of the car look like? Have you looked under the carpet and seats, spare tire area in the front trunk, under the carpet in the rear trunk?

As previously mentioned you are in the perfect location to get some help looking at the car before you start bargaining. Is the car in the Bay Area? Just ask here if anyone can accompany you.

-Jeff
+Quote Post
Allan
post Mar 1 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #35

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304

Yep, fixable. Get those pics under the rocker and suspension ear though. You are lucky, you live in what seems like the rustoration center of California so you have lots of resources. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Mar 1 2005, 06:33 PM
Post #36

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

QUOTE (riverman @ Mar 1 2005, 03:07 PM)
I say jump right in and buy it. Then go to your FLAPS and buy 4 jack stands, 2 trolley jacks, an angle grinder, a box of cut-off/grinding wheels, a MIG welder, some POR-15, a complete set of metric wrenches, a mechanics dolley....

Then go to your FLLS (Friendly Local Liquor Store) and get a case of your favourite poison and then sit down at your computer and join the rest of poor, addicted, tortured souls.

I look forward to seeing your Progress Thread. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

LMAO!

You are supposed to do all that before you get a car...

It's not all so bad, if you can weld, surely. If you can't weld, you can learn, if you don't want that kind of project, move on, and there is another car for around the same price somewhere, without those issues.

My take.

M
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Mar 1 2005, 06:46 PM
Post #37

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

I saw the ad for this car and pictures and it does look really nice on the outside. Interior is in good shape, paint looks good, appearance group, performance group options, 2.0 alloys.

My concern for Peter is that the guy is asking ~$6500 for the car. It seems a bit high for the rust....

Just my opinion. I think the price should be lower.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
914 novice
post Mar 1 2005, 08:59 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 3,391

QUOTE (nine14cats @ Mar 1 2005, 04:46 PM)
I saw the ad for this car and pictures and it does look really nice on the outside. Interior is in good shape, paint looks good, appearance group, performance group options, 2.0 alloys.

My concern for Peter is that the guy is asking ~$6500 for the car. It seems a bit high for the rust....

Just my opinion. I think the price should be lower.

Bill P.

Bill or Peter,
Which classified section are you looking in?
Thank You,Paul
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Mar 1 2005, 09:33 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 2,432

thats not rust...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Mar 1 2005, 09:34 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 2,432

this is rust!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:26 PM