Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Solid State Relay Board
Steve_R
post Jul 13 2015, 11:18 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,777
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Kalani @ Jul 13 2015, 09:10 PM) *

Hello Steve,

Do you have any left, and has the price point come down ?

I live in so cal so shipping should not be a big deal

Yep, I still have some left and, sorry, the price has not come down.

BTW, I'll pay for the shipping.

Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Zimms
post Jul 15 2015, 10:09 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 5,565
Region Association: Upper MidWest

These are beautiful! Worth every cent.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jul 22 2015, 01:41 PM
Post #43

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Drooling over this, I have some observations and questions:

* This board would not work for 914s with a rear window defroster
* This board would not work for the 1972-only 914s that use pin 3 of the 12-pin connector for an oil temp sender circuit (to the dash gauge)
* Why the difference in the slotted/Phillips screws on the corners of each relay? Are those screws are ready power sources in the engine bay?
* Would you consider making a kit with just the base and parts list/instructions available?
+Quote Post
Steve_R
post Jul 22 2015, 06:37 PM
Post #44

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 22 2015, 12:41 PM) *

* This board would not work for the 1972-only 914s that use pin 3 of the 12-pin connector for an oil temp sender circuit (to the dash gauge)
* Why the difference in the slotted/Phillips screws on the corners of each relay? Are those screws are ready power sources in the engine bay?
* Would you consider making a kit with just the base and parts list/instructions available?

Hi Jeff,
* This board would not work for 914s with a rear window defroster .Yep, there was only enough room for 3 solid state relays. I read somewhere that only about 5% of 914 have a rear window defroster. Is this true?

Good point. My car is a 1973 and I didn't notice that there is a difference. Are there any other differences between years for the relay boards?

* Why the difference in the slotted/Phillips screws on the corners of each relay? Are those screws are ready power sources in the engine bay? . No reason. one of the relays I got had different fasteners.

Maybe in the future. Right now I am working on another project.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jul 22 2015, 08:37 PM
Post #45

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

QUOTE(Steve_R @ Jul 22 2015, 05:37 PM) *

Hi Jeff,
* This board would not work for 914s with a rear window defroster .Yep, there was only enough room for 3 solid state relays. I read somewhere that only about 5% of 914 have a rear window defroster. Is this true?

Good point. My car is a 1973 and I didn't notice that there is a difference. Are there any other differenced between years for the relay boards?

* Why the difference in the slotted/Phillips screws on the corners of each relay? Are those screws are ready power sources in the engine bay? . No reason. one of the relays I got had different fasteners.

Your work is commendable Steve, I hope you can find a way to make these available to the masses. I understand that the 914 was one of the first if not the first vehicle to use a configured board like this and a modern replacement using current technology would be welcomed. If a kit was available, there are enough DIY types here that mounting the relays and wiring it up would be one way to minimize the investment. Maybe a group buy in quantity as well. Mark Whitesell may be interested in producing them with your assistance, especially if they can be molded or done in a production mode. "Mikey914"

The 914/4 boards were all the same, but the three harnesses that plug into them were different. The 1972-only ignition harness is the only one that uses pin 3 of the 12-pin, I don't recall if the chassis harnesses interface with the board differently, would need to research it. The /6 guys need their version just as much as the /4 guys do.
+Quote Post
Steve_R
post Jul 22 2015, 09:35 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 22 2015, 07:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve_R @ Jul 22 2015, 05:37 PM) *

Hi Jeff,

Good point. My car is a 1973 and I didn't notice that there is a difference. Are there any other differenced between years for the relay boards?

Your work is commendable Steve, I hope you can find a way to make these available to the masses. I understand that the 914 was one of the first if not the first vehicle to use a configured board like this and a modern replacement using current technology would be welcomed. If a kit was available, there are enough DIY types here that mounting the relays and wiring it up would be one way to minimize the investment. Maybe a group buy in quantity as well. Mark Whitesell may be interested in producing them with your assistance, especially if they can be molded or done in a production mode. "Mikey914"

The 914/4 boards were all the same, but the three harnesses that plug into them were different. The 1972-only ignition harness is the only one that uses pin 3 of the 12-pin, I don't recall if the chassis harnesses interface with the board differently, would need to research it. The /6 guys need their version just as much as the /4 guys do.

Thanks Jeff.
I already spoke to mark about these. Unfortunately, when I designed this board I was not thinking about mass producing them. I have a good day job. I really just planned to make one and a couple extra to sell to help pay for some of the tools I needed. The board itself is machined from plastic using a CNC mill that uses 10 different tools (end mills and drills) and takes 3 hours to machine. My mill does not have an automatic tool changer so I need to be near the mill for the 3 hours. Also, the relays are industrial quality that are used in robots and medical equipment so they're not cheep.

However, I think it could be redesigned to be machined on a CNC router with one tool and use automotive solid state relays. Right now I just have too much on my plate.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jul 22 2015, 09:43 PM
Post #47

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Steve_R @ Jul 22 2015, 10:35 PM) *

However, I think it could be redesigned to be machined on a CNC router with one tool and use automotive solid state relays. Right now I just have too much on my plate.

Small hijack (the relay board is AWESOME BTW)...do you know of a source for automotive SSRs? Hella and Delphi are supposed to make some but I've never actually been able to find any to purchase.
+Quote Post
Steve_R
post Jul 22 2015, 09:58 PM
Post #48

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jul 22 2015, 08:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve_R @ Jul 22 2015, 10:35 PM) *

Small hijack (the relay board is AWESOME BTW)...do you know of a source for automotive SSRs? Hella and Delphi are supposed to make some but I've never actually been able to find any to purchase.

Rallylights sells one:

http://www.rallylights.com/hella-hl87251-m...ay-12v-20a.html

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Strudelwagon
post Apr 7 2016, 10:50 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 9,633
Region Association: Canada

Attached Image we use these at work...
+Quote Post
cegallegos99
post Apr 17 2016, 09:45 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 16,790

Any good relay boards for sale?

I am asking since driving around the neighborhood for 15 mins then smell old glue smoke. Not sure if the relay board as also, feel less power after the smell.

History behind it is a local Porsche mechanic re-started the engine by tinkering with the relay board and finally unplugging one of the relays (the bottom left hand).

Don't know much about the electronics but need some assistance if need a new relay board.

Any guidance?
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Apr 18 2016, 04:45 PM
Post #51

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(cegallegos99 @ Apr 17 2016, 08:45 PM) *

Any good relay boards for sale?

I am asking since driving around the neighborhood for 15 mins then smell old glue smoke. Not sure if the relay board as also, feel less power after the smell.

History behind it is a local Porsche mechanic re-started the engine by tinkering with the relay board and finally unplugging one of the relays (the bottom left hand).

Don't know much about the electronics but need some assistance if need a new relay board.

Any guidance?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Sorry to hear about the problems with your car.

I recommend starting a new post though in the garage. This thread is specifically regarding the relay boards that the original poster created.

Cheers,
+Quote Post
N_Jay
post Sep 21 2016, 07:06 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 19,720

QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 7 2015, 11:26 PM) *

Wasn't planning on it. I'm a bit of a nut about emulating originality, so I'm debating between original round relays and more modern Bosch square relays. But I still totally appreciate the upgrade to solid state. If I could find a solid state that looked exactly like an original round relay, I'll buy 100 right now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Hella makes one as long as the original relay is triggered by a ground connection (The SS relay does not use the + side of the coil connection and needs a Gnd on the low side of the coil.

http://hellahd.com/index.php/default/elect...3001-931773987/
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 21 2016, 07:12 AM
Post #53

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Man, do I wish Steve would make these for a Six......
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
N_Jay
post Sep 21 2016, 07:24 AM
Post #54

So close, but so far.

I certainly understand why it is a $500 part, but it is hard to justify at that price.

Maybe someone else here could pick up the project.

We are all (most all) tinkers, so all we probably need is a kit with the board cut/molded and the hard to source parts. (Probably just the pins, since automotive relays use regular 1/4 blade connectors.
As an EE I offer my (limited) skills, as this is mostly a machining/manufacturing project.

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

+Quote Post
Whitney Mic
post Sep 21 2016, 06:49 PM
Post #55

What sort of chicanery is this?

Member No.: 20,157

QUOTE(N_Jay @ Sep 21 2016, 06:24 AM) *

So close, but so far.

I certainly understand why it is a $500 part, but it is hard to justify at that price.

Maybe someone else here could pick up the project.

We are all (most all) tinkers, so all we probably need is a kit with the board cut/molded and the hard to source parts. (Probably just the pins, since automotive relays use regular 1/4 blade connectors.
As an EE I offer my (limited) skills, as this is mostly a machining/manufacturing project.

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

Well... It's not C-n-C exactly, but:

I have a 3-D printer, but from the pics of the block the design is far too complex for *my* skills. If the C-n-C uses a file I could export, convert and run on my printer, I can try to build the base plate.

If that doesn't work out and someone has the chops to CAD both sides of the relay board and send me an .STL file (or similar), I can convert that and put it on the printer and see what comes out. I've seen some very nice technical drawing since finding my way into the World, there must be someone around with the design skills I lack.

The 3-D printer I own can build to a volume of 6" X 9" X 8". I don't knowhow much time it would take to build this piece. So far I have printed some good, strong parts using ABS and PETG plastic; the PETG prints, but my machine doesn't really get hot enough for the stuff (if I could get it a few degrees hotter, PETG can print pretty much clear pieces).

Here's a piece I'm working on for the center console gauges so they point at me instead of at the interior light:
Attached Image

(sorry, it's a yuge pic) The piece is just a prototype, I will print them in black, sand, finish, and paint the ones I use in my cabin (I might even see about building them 10% larger and having a set cast in aluminum and anodized).

I can print in other plastic types as well, but will have to order material, set up the machine and see how it goes.

I am trying to learn how to design this stuff a bit late in life and the learning curve seems sharper for some reason. I might be able to build something close-ish, but doubt I could do the job right with my current skills.

I'm willing to donate the materials and time on the machine for prototyping a board if someone wants to give it a go. Once I have an idea of cost of material and time, I could figure a fair price for this part of the puzzle...No way I could handle a huge demand though. I'm still trying to figure how to get the printer to pay for itself and justify the price.

Putting it out there, just in case.

-- Whit
+Quote Post
N_Jay
post Sep 21 2016, 08:15 PM
Post #56

If I can get the pins for the body and engine connectors, I might try just building one by hand out of plexiglass sheet.
+Quote Post
NS914
post Sep 23 2016, 07:47 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 10,455
Region Association: Canada

Hi Steve,

Your relay board is truly a work of art...I am constantly amazed at the skills of many of you here in the world. Do you still have any boards left....it has been quite some time since you posted but I thought I would give you a yell.

I am in the final throws of putting my electrical back together and I know this board would likely eliminate as yet unknown issues that will surely arise...LOL!

Grant
+Quote Post
cegallegos99
post Jan 14 2017, 11:48 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 16,790

Hi

I am looking at yours as a new production

Do you have one more?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 16 2017, 11:59 AM
Post #59

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Steve,

If you decide to out source the machining of these let me know, new CNC mill at home with a 10 tool ATC (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 16 2017, 02:00 PM
Post #60

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

We've been spending some time putting together a redesigned board with solid state relays. I have to finish the 19mm master cylinders before I jump full bore into this, but these would look OEM until you pop the cover.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 04:23 PM