Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> There Goes The Neighborhood, Sorting out an adopted V8 build
whitetwinturbo
post Jul 7 2015, 05:21 PM
Post #1

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,704
Region Association: Southern California

I'm just "wading" into this project since it rolled off the shipping truck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif)

Attached Image

99% rust free California car now in SoCal after sitting in a garage for years without being (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif). My neighbors are now giving me the "hairy eyeball" since I fired it up to pull it up into the garage....and it was a bit loud (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) .

Now taking inventory of what it is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) and making a list of what-to-do and in what order it might be done. I'm starting with draining and renewing all water, oil, brake and transmission fluids. I expect the juices to be a little funky since just sitting unused continues the 'chemistry'.

The wiring looks a little scary too. Many of them in the engine compartment (box behind driver) were cut and lead nowhere. Hum.

It would be good to hear from other V8 'Loons' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) who may be able to help me avoid to much (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif).

Let the 914 madness continue!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 7 2015, 06:29 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Oh yeah, I'm sure your posh Newport neighbors just LOVED that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

So when will it cross our OCR AX, DE, TT, etc. track or Concours grounds? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jul 7 2015, 11:16 PM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Congrats!

Drive it like you stole it.... and you probably did! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Jul 7 2015, 11:31 PM
Post #4

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

I wondered if you got it. Congrats!

I would get the cooling system sorted out first and give the engine a tune up.

That thing has the heaviest clutch ever, so I would come up with some sort of hydraulic assist system. I couldn't see driving it in traffic for more than 15 minutes.
+Quote Post
Perl
post Jul 8 2015, 07:25 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,789
Region Association: None

Great project thanks for the picture. Can you tell me the size of the wheels and tires? Any pictures of the engine bay?
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Jul 8 2015, 11:13 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 7 2015, 05:29 PM) *

Oh yeah, I'm sure your posh Newport neighbors just LOVED that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

So when will it cross our OCR AX, DE, TT, etc. track or Concours grounds? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

Luckily, my immediate neighbor is a car nut (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) . Before OC C&C shut down we would try to sneak out at dawn in his sled before he solved his cold start issues. The backfires would rattle all the high priced neighbor's designer windows! Here's his small thermo-nuc device (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 8 2015, 11:16 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

^ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

That is all....
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 8 2015, 11:21 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

BradR...yes, that Brad called me a few days ago, found the for sale thread for your new ride while google'n something and called to remind me that he installed or fine tuned the serpentine belt assembly and that I helped with it at the Palo Alto shop.

I think I vaguely remember that now....I do remember working on a nasty V8 powered 911 at the PA shop and a few other cars there.

+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Jul 8 2015, 11:31 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(RobW @ Jul 7 2015, 10:16 PM) *

Congrats!

Drive it like you stole it.... and you probably did! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

RobW,
Time will tell if I "stole" this one. "Rescue" was on my mind since the car had been sitting for over 5 years in (dry) storage...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
So, after pouring over an old file full of papers, receipts and faded notes up she went on on jack stands for a lookee-lou.
Drained the transmission (930 4sp LSD (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)) and then refilled with fresh Swepco. The old mystery fluid didn't "taste great and was not less filling" as the old school beer commercial crowed. The magnetic drain plug was a big fuzz ball with a few shards too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) See relative size compared to the thickness of the penny.
Attached Image
What have you folks found hiding on you trans drain plugs?
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Jul 8 2015, 11:38 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 8 2015, 10:21 PM) *

BradR...yes, that Brad called me a few days ago, found the for sale thread for your new ride while google'n something and called to remind me that he installed or fine tuned the serpentine belt assembly and that I helped with it at the Palo Alto shop.

I think I vaguely remember that now....I do remember working on a nasty V8 powered 911 at the PA shop and a few other cars there.

Mueller,
Check out this picture I got. This will bring back his memory. Here it is just before being stuffed up into it's new home. I knew I heard something growling in my garage the first night I closed the door. Hide your daughters (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) "Something wicked this way Goes".

Attached Image

+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Jul 8 2015, 11:46 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Perl @ Jul 8 2015, 06:25 AM) *

Great project thanks for the picture. Can you tell me the size of the wheels and tires? Any pictures of the engine bay?

Perl,
Car rolled off the transport with Fiske (9"front 235/45/17 & 11"back 275/40/17 ):

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 8 2015, 11:52 PM
Post #12

914 Freak!

I had the same model Fikse rims on my old 964...don't do what I did!

Came home after a fun run, brakes and wheels still hot and I decided to wash the car, I sprayed alloy wheel cleaner on the fronts while still hot and discolored center section badly!

I couldn't repair with simple Mothers polish by hand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Jul 9 2015, 12:06 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jul 7 2015, 10:31 PM) *

That thing has the heaviest clutch ever, so I would come up with some sort of hydraulic assist system. I couldn't see driving it in traffic for more than 15 minutes.

Hi Matt,

You helped in several ways. Thanks.

Well, all fluids, including the cooling system is on my mind after knowing the car sat in dry storage for years. I thought it would be simple to drain out whatever was in the car but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ... that would be too easy.

The V8 radiator setup is "remote" BUT no (lowest point) petcock was built in. Here's the lowest point. Kind of "cool" (to turn a phrase) and bizarro in another sense (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Attached Image

Anyone know an aluminum welder? Seems like drilling a hole then welding a threaded "bung" on the end with drain plug screwed into it would be the way to go

+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Jul 9 2015, 12:17 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 8 2015, 10:52 PM) *

I had the same model Fikse rims on my old 964...don't do what I did!

Came home after a fun run, brakes and wheels still hot and I decided to wash the car, I sprayed alloy wheel cleaner on the fronts while still hot and discolored center section badly!

I couldn't repair with simple Mothers polish by hand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Mueller,
Jeez, I did the same stupid (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) trick a million years ago to these shoes:

Cramped up both arms rubbing out (so to speak) the rims with every kind of paste I could find.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Jul 9 2015, 12:25 AM
Post #15

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

I suggest getting rid of those aluminum box tubes and run gates hose. That way if you bottom out they bounce back rather than kink and stay kinked. More than likely there is air in the system which is causing the car to run warm and you should vent through the fenders or hood. (The floor is not the best).

If you don't plan to track the car I would suggest a different cage to make access to the car easier. (I found it tough to get in)

Fantastic brakes on the car huh?

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Jul 8 2015, 11:06 PM) *

Hi Matt,

Well, all fluids, including the cooling system is on my mind after knowing the car sat in dry storage for years. I thought it would be simple to drain out whatever was in the car but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ... that would be too easy.

The V8 radiator setup is "remote" BUT no (lowest point) petcock was built in. Here's the lowest point. Kind of "cool" (to turn a phrase) and bizarro in another sense (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Attached Image

Anyone know an aluminum welder? Seems like drilling a hole then welding a threaded "bung" on the end with drain plug screwed into it would be the way to go

+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 9 2015, 07:44 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

[quote name='matthepcat' date='Jul 9 2015, 01:25 AM' post='2207930']
I suggest getting rid of those aluminum box tubes and run gates hose. That way if you bottom out they bounce back rather than kink and stay kinked. More than likely there is air in the system which is causing the car to run warm...
[quote]

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) That's the one thing I didn't like about that setup. It's very likely trapping air from the looks of it. One good knock and you'd be spilling coolant everywhere. Pull all that off and just get some gates green stripe hoses and you'll like it a lot better. Easy and inexpensive fix. Then you can tee a fitting in at the lowest point.
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Jul 9 2015, 10:51 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jul 8 2015, 11:25 PM) *

I suggest getting rid of those aluminum box tubes and run gates hose. That way if you bottom out they bounce back rather than kink and stay kinked. More than likely there is air in the system which is causing the car to run warm and you should vent through the fenders or hood. (The floor is not the best).

If you don't plan to track the car I would suggest a different cage to make access to the car easier. (I found it tough to get in)

Fantastic brakes on the car huh?

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Jul 8 2015, 11:06 PM) *

Hi Matt,

Attached Image

These water tubes are unusual. However, after researching the material's technical specs I think it would be difficult to crush/kink them closed. It appears that the hit would have to be so powerful something REALLY serious is going on...like a crash. Tearing off one of the supporting bracket or an end fitting is a possibility too. Hum.

Air in system?

I'm sure you are right. The highest point in the H20 system has a combination of 'kluggey' rusty steel pipes, hoses and clamps.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Jul 9 2015, 11:00 AM
Post #18

More evidence of AIR/OXYGEN with water making trouble:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Jul 9 2015, 11:17 AM
Post #19

[quote name='Chris H.' date='Jul 9 2015, 06:44 AM' post='2207985']
[quote name='matthepcat' date='Jul 9 2015, 01:25 AM' post='2207930']
I suggest getting rid of those aluminum box tubes and run gates hose. That way if you bottom out they bounce back rather than kink and stay kinked. More than likely there is air in the system which is causing the car to run warm...
[quote]

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) That's the one thing I didn't like about that setup. It's very likely trapping air from the looks of it. One good knock and you'd be spilling coolant everywhere. Pull all that off and just get some gates green stripe hoses and you'll like it a lot better. Easy and inexpensive fix. Then you can tee a fitting in at the lowest point.
[/quote]

Chris,

Here's my temporary lowest water drain point "Macgyver" style.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 9 2015, 11:36 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

That'll work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) . The car's been sitting for a while, right? That might be when the rust set in. I'd definitely get rid of that aluminum square tubing setup. New hoses and inlets, probably run a lot cooler.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:24 PM