Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> There Goes The Neighborhood, Sorting out an adopted V8 build
tomrev
post Aug 11 2015, 10:43 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,037
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 11 2015, 08:28 AM) *

Can we get some pics of the fuel tank mods? Personally I would never do that but boy that is some fancy fab work!!!

Thanks! With the tank installed, not much can be seen, but I can try a few closer shots. A pair of 3in. curved exhaust pipe was slipped in and welded to make the channels. The guy who I bought it from did it, so that mod I can't claim; he made small, beautiful bits on a Bridgport mill, and tucked them all over the car, my favorite thing about the car, and spent a lot of time running the coolant lines on either side, as mentioned. I had to re-do all his wiring 'tho, and finish up the car. I'v been working on a pair of 914-8 projects for the last 6 years, one LS powered, and this one, but haven't done much 914 driving in 15 years, so am looking forward to having her back on the road!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Aug 11 2015, 10:23 PM
Post #62

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 11 2015, 06:33 AM) *

QUOTE(tomrev @ Aug 10 2015, 02:24 PM) *

Thanks for the info! Here are a few photo's of the old girl:

Are those radiator lines running through the gas tank ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Now that would be exciting..........but NO...........they are self contained in boxed aluminum squares.......a very interesting and controversial design idea.
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Aug 11 2015, 10:25 PM
Post #63

QUOTE(tomrev @ Aug 11 2015, 09:43 AM) *

Can we get some pics of the fuel tank mods? Personally I would never do that but boy that is some fancy fab work!!!

Thanks! With the tank installed, not much can be seen, but I can try a few closer shots. A pair of 3in. curved exhaust pipe was slipped in and welded to make the channels. The guy who I bought it from did it, so that mod I can't claim; he made small, beautiful bits on a Bridgport mill, and tucked them all over the car, my favorite thing about the car, and spent a lot of time running the coolant lines on either side, as mentioned. I had to re-do all his wiring 'tho, and finish up the car. I'v been working on a pair of 914-8 projects for the last 6 years, one LS powered, and this one, but haven't done much 914 driving in 15 years, so am looking forward to having her back on the road!

@tomrev

I want to learn more about your experiences.......and look forward to hearing more about your v8.
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Aug 11 2015, 10:27 PM
Post #64

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 10 2015, 05:21 PM) *

Mike's wife said that he spent more money on the 914 in trying to get it how he wanted it than the Lotus Elise he bought her back in the day.

I guess multiple revisions of the car adds up to a lot of $$$

...........and a LOTUS guy too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Aug 12 2015, 11:58 AM
Post #65

QUOTE(tomrev @ Aug 11 2015, 09:43 AM) *

Love it...do you have a "build" thread going? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
tomrev
post Aug 12 2015, 02:02 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 17,037

Nope, the silver LS powered car was finished and sold last Summer, so I could make space for the black car. I usually forget to take any photo's till it's too late, and things are covered up; hate to stop working! The black car only has 20K original miles, and has been a V8 car since it was almost new. Apparently, a small engine bay fire at 7K miles caused it to go back to the dealership, and then get sold cheap to a young guy in Chicago, who converted it to Chevy power. It stayed within a group of friends for all those years, but sat disassembled from around 2008, till I got her in March 2014, and started in. From 1984 till '98 I had a Six, which ended up with a built 3.0 that I really loved, and had the urge to get a project 914 again some years back, so Blackie is proving a lot of fun. I will post some detail photos when the 283 is back in. Thanks for your comments!
Attached Image
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Aug 13 2015, 11:27 AM
Post #67

QUOTE(tomrev @ Aug 12 2015, 01:02 PM) *
Nope, the silver LS powered car was finished and sold last Summer, so I could make space for the black car. I usually forget to take any photo's till it's too late, and things are covered up; hate to stop working! The black car only has 20K original miles, and has been a V8 car since it was almost new. Apparently, a small engine bay fire at 7K miles caused it to go back to the dealership, and then get sold cheap to a young guy in Chicago, who converted it to Chevy power. It stayed within a group of friends for all those years, but sat disassembled from around 2008, till I got her in March 2014, and started in. From 1984 till '98 I had a Six, which ended up with a built 3.0 that I really loved, and had the urge to get a project 914 again some years back, so Blackie is proving a lot of fun. I will post some detail photos when the 283 is back in. Thanks for your comments!

Cool in black....and not seen a lot in CA.

Where did the 914-8 rear letter come from...I may like to get that too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
+Quote Post
pdlightning
post Oct 25 2015, 09:36 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 12,660

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Aug 13 2015, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(tomrev @ Aug 12 2015, 01:02 PM) *

Cool in black....and not seen a lot in CA.

Where did the 914-8 rear letter come from...I may like to get that too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)

I like it also!
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Oct 27 2015, 06:37 PM
Post #69

I have been working on the brakes since the fluid was probably not changed for 5 years. My brakes are all non-914 so the 14mm booster will be replaced with a sourced 19mm.

A problem surfaced when I decided to upgrade to these:

Attached Image

Here's the problem:

Attached Image

Notice the material "taken" by the threads? It was VERY difficult to remove this bleed nipple. I used a breaker bar on the wrench but only turned it slightly and then waited after a PB spray to keep cool....I did not want to break it off. I think the PO or service folks accidently overtightened it. I am hoping to retap/clean the caliper to install new item above but I have this repair kit if that does not seal correctly:

Attached Image
+Quote Post
ed11181
post Nov 27 2015, 09:09 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 3,114

I went crazy trying to get the temp under 200 degrees and then I decided to try reverse louvers. It worked! Car runs at 180 degrees and never goes higher even on a 90 degree day. Creates a low pressure system that sucks hot air out through the hood. I think that a reverse scoop would also work.Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Nov 28 2015, 10:46 AM
Post #71

That looks good. I'm probably going to punch out inner front wheel wells then "dimple" them for a finished look with this item borrowed from a good friend.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
sb914
post Nov 28 2015, 11:24 AM
Post #72

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

White twin,A guy approached me this am at cars n coffee he said he's your neighbor
Cool guy I forgot to get his name.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Dec 28 2015, 03:14 PM
Post #73

Must have been "Jim".....that's his dimple tool AND here's some of the results!

1] Used small sawzal to cut dark grey fiberglass shroud that held duct tape to silver flex home heater piping!

Before:

Attached Image

After:

Attached Image

Attached Image

2] Cutting and dippling the cut out holes should provide enough venting and if not I will make more holes.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Dec 28 2015, 03:39 PM
Post #74

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

That should be more than enough venting to cool the motor. If you still run hot, start looking else where. I still think the 90 degree connection to those aluminum pipes running under the car is not the best for flow.

If the car does have a thermostat, make sure you drill an additional flow hole ( renegade sells them pre-drilled)

Get the air out of the system and you should be good to go.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Dec 28 2015, 04:39 PM
Post #75

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Make sure you have a lip before the hole in the trunk to prevent air from coming in from the bottom of the car. You want that trunk to be a low pressure area to allow air flow naturally.
I agree about the 90 deg fittings. Might be a good idea to custom bend some metal lines to flow more naturally.

Also make sure your running some HEAVY guage wire with a relay to those fans. Seen many a v8 conversion with burned/melting fan wires.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 28 2015, 06:41 PM
Post #76

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

If there is ANY path for air to get around the radiator, it will. Your fenders should be enough as is. Seal up the trunk floor.

You also need to check water flow and figure out the temperature differential at the radiator. Is the rad scalding hot? Or is the engine scalding hot?

You also need to vacuum any possible air out of the system. When you think you are done, do it again, and again.
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Mar 23 2016, 12:50 PM
Post #77

Got and installed the LED front upgrade from the 914World vendor.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Note intensity of left vs right from the front. NICE!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Hoppie944s2
post Mar 23 2016, 02:04 PM
Post #78

Porschenut

Member No.: 16,098
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(ed11181 @ Nov 27 2015, 07:09 PM) *

I went crazy trying to get the temp under 200 degrees and then I decided to try reverse louvers. It worked! Car runs at 180 degrees and never goes higher even on a 90 degree day. Creates a low pressure system that sucks hot air out through the hood. I think that a reverse scoop would also work.Attached Image Attached Image

what wheels are on this car?
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Apr 10 2016, 03:56 PM
Post #79

I thought I was so smart!

My brake Master Cyl DOES say "14" on the part that can be seen from under the car. So, I bought a new "19" to to compliment the Big Black 911 brakes.

Here's the new one clearly marked "19" at the red arrow on the part you cannot see when installed and no "19" is seen anywhere else on the main body:

Attached Image

Surprise!

I started to pull out the old "14" (see yellow arrow) and their is "19" (see red arrow) in the same location as the new one described above!

Attached Image

HELP! Is the old one a 14 or 19 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Apr 10 2016, 10:11 PM
Post #80

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

Its a 19mm. There is no 14mm version. (Stock was 17mm)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:52 PM