Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Bad day for the 914
57lincolnman
post Jul 9 2015, 02:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,175
Region Association: Southern California

Prior symptoms which progressively worsened: at full engine operating temperature (200 degrees) the idle becomes somewhat erratic at a stoplight. When I pull away in first gear, it would "stumble" or hesitate and then take-off. This would only happen after the car had been driven for about 45 min - 1 hr. Prior to that the car would operate fine.

Today: the symptoms progressed to complete failure. After driving for about an hour, the car had a very weak idle. When I gave it gas to steady out the idle it backfired twice. It progressed with practically no engine power and then finally died in the middle of intersection (of course!). There was an immediate smell of raw gas. Now it will turn over but won't fire. The car was towed to the shop. I was afraid of an engine fire so towing seemed the most prudent thing to do.

Background: it has a Mallory electronic ignition with stock coil and correct spark plug wires, we've tested for vacuum leaks and there aren't any. The air flow meter was replaced with a rebuilt unit about 1 year ago (this could be the culprit). After the backfire it will certainly need to be replaced... again. The throttle body control valve unit was also replaced about two years ago. The cylinder head temp sensor unit is seated properly and tests OK.

Any suggestions of where to look next are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:37 PM