Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HOW TO: run the fuel pump for carb conversions, the easy solution!
SirAndy
post Feb 25 2005, 06:41 PM
Post #1

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Back by popular demand, Sir Andy's "HOW TO" series presents:

HOW TO: Run the fuel pump for carb conversions

There are numerous tech. articles out there that cover this issue.
When you switch from the stock FI to carburetors, you have to install a low pressure carb fuel-pump.
But, since the FI fuel pump is controlled by the FI brain, removing the brain means the wires to the fuel pump won't give you 12V ...

There are a lot of "band-aid" solutions out there, some people remove the pump relay and add a jumper there, others even run the pump off the coil!
While all those solutions work (more or less) they all lack one thing, you're now running the pump without a relay! (and in case of the coil, without fuse as well)

The best (and also easiest!) solution is to trick the relayboard into believing that the FI-Brain is still connected ...

And it's as simple as connecting one wire from the 4-prong FI connector to ground.
You keep the stock fuel pump relay and fuse and you use the stock wires to power the new fuel pump.
Below you'll see 2 pictures showing how to attach the wire. on the pump side, simple make 2 more extension wires with "male" connectors on one end and plug them into the stock (roundish) plug for the stock fuel pump.
No need to hack into the original harness!!!

This install is clean and simple! (and cheap!)

In the pics below the thick red wired replaces the FI-Brain ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) Andy

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-11-1109378319.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-11-1109378417.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Feb 25 2005, 06:48 PM
Post #2

Member Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 478

nice one!! straight to classics!!!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Feb 25 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #3

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

LOL

Do you have more pics? Other angles? Can a person with a wire, and two crimpy ends do this in less than a minute?

Who took that picture?

M
+Quote Post
MarkV
post Feb 25 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #4

Fear the Jack Stands

Member No.: 154
Region Association: None

Thanks, I am riunning mine off the coil.

Whats up with the green wire pulled out of the harness in photo #2 ?
+Quote Post
914GT
post Feb 25 2005, 07:01 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,923
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hey Andy... wouldn't a good German use a brown wire? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 25 2005, 07:10 PM
Post #6

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

super andy. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/clap.gif) . straight to classic. i will be changing to this method.

k
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 25 2005, 07:31 PM
Post #7

Resident German

QUOTE(redshift @ Feb 25 2005, 04:51 PM)
Do you have more pics? Other angles?

yes ...

Can a person with a wire, and two crimpy ends do this in less than a minute?

yes ...

Who took that picture?

me, myself and i ...

Whats up with the green wire pulled out of the harness in photo #2 ?

the engine harness is from my old 1.8L which had the green wire for the heater blower in the engine harness. my car now has a '74 (?) main harness and the wires (green/brown) for the heater blower are spliced off the the main harness instead.
i didn't want to cut the hard plastic protection of my engine harness to remove the wire but i had to take it out of the connector as the layout of the prongs changed between '70 and '74 ...

wouldn't a good German use a brown wire?

yes, but i didn't have any handy besides the red one. some day, i'll change it to brown.
not on top of my list right now ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Feb 25 2005, 09:13 PM
Post #8

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

heres a minor twist to this system, on a 1.8 the fuel pump relay is in the relay pack, so no relay there. what i did is to put a realy in the fuel relay spot as a spare, and i had a short wire from the screw that hold the realy board in place with a connector on it, when ever the fuel pump was needed or the relay pack was acting funny i just pluged it in.

now on the suby harness i an using the suby fuel pump relay to ground the stock fuel pump relay out through that pin , that way the suby brain still sees the suby relay in its wiring and it does its job
+Quote Post
914rat
post Nov 3 2011, 10:54 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 6,362

I did this conversion and it didn't work.Where is the relay so I can see if it's still good.Had to go back to running it off the coil.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 3 2011, 11:09 AM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Third position...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Nov 3 2011, 12:20 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

I powered my pump from this pin.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Nov 3 2011, 12:26 PM
Post #12

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Another "twist" to this approach . . . .

Because the pump will run as long as the key is in the "on" position, I wired a fuel pump inertial switch (from a Ford (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ) into the wire running from the 4-prong FI connector to ground (the "red" wire in Andy's pictures). That way if the car is in an accident, the ground is "interrupted" and the fuel pump stops (NOTE: this is a little different from Ford's approach, which puts the switch on the hot side of the pump instead of the ground).

Here's a picture of the switch:

Attached Image

The switch costs 25-30 new at your FLAPS; I got a couple of used ones at the local pick-n-pull for a couple of bucks each.

These switches have been known to go bad once in a while, but mine has been good for a couple of years.

Here's a link to a site that provides some good info on the switch:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_libra...rtiaSwitch.html

Instructions for installing the Smart Racing Products (SRP) version of the switch are here:

http://www.smartracingproducts.com/pdfdocs...fuelshutoff.pdf

My switch is currently mounted near the ground post just forward of the relay board cover. I'm thinking of putting it in the + side like Ford did--and as recommended in the SRP instructions. Then I should be able to mount the switch somewhere in the passenger footwell.

Hope this helps!
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 7 2015, 04:28 PM
Post #13

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(anderssj @ Nov 3 2011, 12:26 PM) *

Another "twist" to this approach . . . .

Because the pump will run as long as the key is in the "on" position, I wired a fuel pump inertial switch (from a Ford (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ) into the wire running from the 4-prong FI connector to ground (the "red" wire in Andy's pictures). That way if the car is in an accident, the ground is "interrupted" and the fuel pump stops (NOTE: this is a little different from Ford's approach, which puts the switch on the hot side of the pump instead of the ground).

Here's a picture of the switch:

Attached Image

The switch costs 25-30 new at your FLAPS; I got a couple of used ones at the local pick-n-pull for a couple of bucks each.

These switches have been known to go bad once in a while, but mine has been good for a couple of years.

Here's a link to a site that provides some good info on the switch:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_libra...rtiaSwitch.html

Instructions for installing the Smart Racing Products (SRP) version of the switch are here:

http://www.smartracingproducts.com/pdfdocs...fuelshutoff.pdf

My switch is currently mounted near the ground post just forward of the relay board cover. I'm thinking of putting it in the + side like Ford did--and as recommended in the SRP instructions. Then I should be able to mount the switch somewhere in the passenger footwell.

Hope this helps!

Now everyone knows to trip the switch to disable your car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I did that back in 89 while Christmas shopping at the mall. I was driving an old Dodge Aspen, and was waiting for a parking space. The person in the space backed out toward me, and a "Female Dog" in a Lincoln Town car cut right in front of the car backing out and quickly pulled into the space. She jumped from the car and took off into the mall. So I just pulled up and bumped her car with the old Dodge.

Later I came out to put some packages in the trunk of the Dodge, just to hear her grinding away on the starter till the battery died. I went back in the mall and when I came out again, the wrecker was pulling the Town Car out of the parking space.

I so wanted to tell her what happened after the car was on the flatbed on it's way to the shop, but I didn't get the chance.

+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Feb 8 2015, 03:05 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 16,283

Hmmm, anyone know how this would apply to the 912E? I wasnt thinking about this at all, I assumed the fuel pump relay was powered on and off with ignition
+Quote Post
patssle
post Feb 8 2015, 03:10 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 10,741

The awesome side-effect of this is you can easily disable the fuel pump when you want to leave the key on if you're working on the car. No need to have the fuel pump on. Just disconnect the cable!

Also even if you're not using the other 2 or 3 relays...keep one on the board for a backup.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Feb 8 2015, 10:37 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 7 2015, 02:28 PM) *

Now everyone knows to trip the switch to disable your car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I did that back in 89 while Christmas shopping at the mall. I was driving an old Dodge Aspen, and was waiting for a parking space. The person in the space backed out toward me, and a "Female Dog" in a Lincoln Town car cut right in front of the car backing out and quickly pulled into the space. She jumped from the car and took off into the mall. So I just pulled up and bumped her car with the old Dodge.

Later I came out to put some packages in the trunk of the Dodge, just to hear her grinding away on the starter till the battery died. I went back in the mall and when I came out again, the wrecker was pulling the Town Car out of the parking space.

I so wanted to tell her what happened after the car was on the flatbed on it's way to the shop, but I didn't get the chance.

Disabling some ones car because they parked like a dick, pretty makes you a DICK!
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Aug 27 2015, 09:50 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 16,283

So I've been researching how this applies to the 912E, and have come up with a couple options. Someone on the 912E board suggested to wire it directly with an oil pump cut off switch, and I found this website

http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/electric-fuel-pump.html

It seems like a good way to do this. Has anyone tried this? Makes sense to me, especially as it retains the pump while crank ability. Here is a schematic for the oil pressure switch.

Attached Image

The 912E has a double relay for the fuel pump. One side is connected to a wire harness that runs to the vehicle, the other half ran to the brain. I've managed to do most of my modifications leaving most of the stock wiring and such in tact, so I'd like to keep doing that and just jump the other side of the relay through an oil pressure switch. I'm thinking to find the pin that grounds the relay in the run position (like the jumper in this thread) run it through the OP switch and call it done. This would keep the run while starting function and the on while running with oil pressure feature, and in the case of a stall, key left on, etc. Fuel pump will not run.

But some good news, I put 5 gallons of fuel in the tank tonight and pumped about 2 quarts into a glass jar, with no filter to clean out any debris or crap in the lines and it came out clean as a whistle. After letting it sit for a few days will do it again to see if fuel in the lind=es loosened up any crud. I even poured it through a paper filter back into the gas can and there was little to no debris in the paper. Looks like I got a great tank!
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Aug 29 2015, 09:47 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Just got two of those inertia fuel cut off switches from Summit Racing- supposed for a Ford and look a little different than the ones in this thread. This was discussed on a thread a couple weeks ago I haven't been able to relocate on the search function.

They came with no instructions but I put the switch in the front trunk near the pump next to the spare tire on my '73. I luckily mounted it vertically (as instructed in the switch on this thread) and "assume" that is correct. I have sent a question to customer service at Summit to confirm.

Need to install it on my '71 but will wait to confirm that this model is also supposed to be mounted vertically.

Will be some piece of mind, though I must admit I've been driving the '71 with carbs without the switch for over 15 years! Luckily no issues but I don't drive it a lot...
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Apr 5 2018, 01:24 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 11,461

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 25 2005, 05:41 PM) *

HOW TO: Run the fuel pump for carb conversions

I tried this on my '74 with carbs which had been running the fuel pump off the coil. No luck, checked the black/red wire at pin 13 for continuity to the original fuel pump plug and that was good , double checked that my ground on the 4 tab connector was good, but still nothing. I traced the black/red wire from pin 12 which used to go to the aux. air regulator in the FI harness but was now cut off near the distributor, and had continuity all the way back to the fuel pump plug. Get everything but volts when I turn on the key. Fuel pump turns on with key when I plug it into the other tab on the 4 tab connector. Any ideas what I am missing here? Or what else I can try? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 5 2018, 02:05 PM
Post #20

Resident German

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Apr 5 2018, 12:24 PM) *
I tried this on my '74 with carbs which had been running the fuel pump off the coil. No luck, checked the black/red wire at pin 13 for continuity to the original fuel pump plug and that was good , double checked that my ground on the 4 tab connector was good, but still nothing. I traced the black/red wire from pin 12 which used to go to the aux. air regulator in the FI harness but was now cut off near the distributor, and had continuity all the way back to the fuel pump plug. Get everything but volts when I turn on the key. Fuel pump turns on with key when I plug it into the other tab on the 4 tab connector. Any ideas what I am missing here? Or what else I can try? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Are all the relays in place and working properly?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:50 AM