Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HOW TO: run the fuel pump for carb conversions, the easy solution!
MarkV
post Apr 5 2018, 02:07 PM
Post #21

Fear the Jack Stands

Group: Members
Member No.: 154
Region Association: None

Both relays need to be in place and working.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Apr 5 2018, 02:47 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 11,461

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 5 2018, 01:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Apr 5 2018, 12:24 PM) *
I tried this on my '74 with carbs which had been running the fuel pump off the coil. No luck, checked the black/red wire at pin 13 for continuity to the original fuel pump plug and that was good , double checked that my ground on the 4 tab connector was good, but still nothing. I traced the black/red wire from pin 12 which used to go to the aux. air regulator in the FI harness but was now cut off near the distributor, and had continuity all the way back to the fuel pump plug. Get everything but volts when I turn on the key. Fuel pump turns on with key when I plug it into the other tab on the 4 tab connector. Any ideas what I am missing here? Or what else I can try? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Are all the relays in place and working properly?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Yes sir. I even put all 4 relays and both fuses in and tried the relays in every conceivable variation in case one was bad. I realize that some of the relays don't do anything, but just in case I misunderstood which were the power and fuel pump relays. The 12 volts to the tab on the 4 tab connector comes through the power relay doesn't it?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 5 2018, 03:20 PM
Post #23

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Apr 5 2018, 01:47 PM) *
Yes sir. I even put all 4 relays and both fuses in and tried the relays in every conceivable variation in case one was bad. I realize that some of the relays don't do anything, but just in case I misunderstood which were the power and fuel pump relays. The 12 volts to the tab on the 4 tab connector comes through the power relay doesn't it?

The *ground* wire on the 4-tab connector grounds the relay so it can provide 12V to the fuel pump.
Normally, that ground switching is done by the FI brain.

In hindsight, i probably should not have used a red wire for ground.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Apr 5 2018, 04:21 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 5 2018, 02:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Apr 5 2018, 01:47 PM) *

The *ground* wire on the 4-tab connector grounds the relay so it can provide 12V to the fuel pump.
Normally, that ground switching is done by the FI brain.

In hindsight, i probably should not have used a red wire for ground.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Oops sorry the other tab, the "last ditch" nonfused power for fuel pump tab (the one opposite the ground tab. The one that Elliot Cannon pictured in post 11 on this thread. I am just wondering if the fact that that one runs the pump means that the power relay is OK. Could my relay board have an issue?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 5 2018, 04:30 PM
Post #25

Resident German

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Apr 5 2018, 03:21 PM) *
Oops sorry the other tab, the "last ditch" nonfused power for fuel pump tab (the one opposite the ground tab. The one that Elliot Cannon pictured in post 11 on this thread. I am just wondering if the fact that that one runs the pump means that the power relay is OK. Could my relay board have an issue?

Yes, yes and yes.

That one comes off the power relay and should have 12V .
And yes, the relay board can certainly be kaputt, the solder connections can come lose. Have you checked the underside?

The whole reason i did this writeup was to show people that you can use all the existing wiring and relays to run your carb fuel-pump without any hacks.

And yes, i consider pumping 12V from a different relay into the fuel pump feed wire a "hack".
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Apr 5 2018, 06:01 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(914GT @ Feb 25 2005, 09:01 PM) *

Hey Andy... wouldn't a good German use a brown wire? <!-- emo&:) -->(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)<!-- endemo -->

I agree (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
But a great write up.
An easy and correct way to avoid a
sketchy arrangement !
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 5 2018, 07:07 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

I had to do that "hack" because the correct feed had no power even after trying several relays ,ennoying as I cleaned up the board and resealed the base without testing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Ran it through an redundant relay and put inline fuse in ,have a replacement board to go in soon.
I'am checking into a hidden switch to shut the pump off also have a few idea's.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Apr 5 2018, 08:15 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 5 2018, 03:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Apr 5 2018, 03:21 PM) *

Yes, yes and yes.

That one comes off the power relay and should have 12V .
And yes, the relay board can certainly be kaputt, the solder connections can come lose. Have you checked the underside?

The whole reason i did this writeup was to show people that you can use all the existing wiring and relays to run your carb fuel-pump without any hacks.

And yes, i consider pumping 12V from a different relay into the fuel pump feed wire a "hack".

So if all else fails I could run off the 12V side of the 4 tab connector through an in line fuse under the relay board cover to the fuel pump and no one but me (and you I guess) would ever know. Would that still be a hack? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 5 2018, 08:20 PM
Post #29

Resident German

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Apr 5 2018, 07:15 PM) *
So if all else fails I could run off the 12V side of the 4 tab connector through an in line fuse under the relay board cover to the fuel pump and no one but me (and you I guess) would ever know. Would that still be a hack? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yes and yes ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Apr 5 2018, 09:50 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 5 2018, 07:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Apr 5 2018, 07:15 PM) *

Yes and yes ...

+Quote Post
Noonan
post Apr 6 2018, 09:27 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 20,478
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

So what's the correct fuse size for the fuel pump?

SirAndy has an 8amp, Elliot has a 16amp, the wiring diagram shows a 25amp and I have a 16amp (which may make sense as I don't have rear defrost)

On the same note, what's the upper fuse position for? It's blank in the wiring diagram

Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 6 2018, 10:27 AM
Post #32

Resident German

QUOTE(Noonan @ Apr 6 2018, 08:27 AM) *

So what's the correct fuse size for the fuel pump?

SirAndy has an 8amp, Elliot has a 16amp, the wiring diagram shows a 25amp and I have a 16amp (which may make sense as I don't have rear defrost)

On the same note, what's the upper fuse position for? It's blank in the wiring diagram

If you look again, you can see that i have a blue fuse in there, the white one is in the top slot, which if i recall correctly is for the optional rear window heater.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Apr 6 2018, 11:02 AM
Post #33

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

If you're like me, /6 conversion with no relay board you can run a VW 321 906 059C relay.
It uses the tach signal (lack of) to cut power. Faster action than a relay using the oil pressure switch.

Only drawback is no power till it sees a tach signal, not an issue on start-up with carbs with full float bowls. You would have to jump the relay if they were empty, like in first engine start or after carb service.
+Quote Post
Noonan
post Apr 6 2018, 11:10 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 20,478
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

If you look again, you can see that i have a blue fuse in there, the white one is in the top slot, which if i recall correctly is for the optional rear window heater.

Oh yeah, there it is, had to zoom way in.

Thanks!
+Quote Post
mtndawg
post Apr 15 2019, 11:20 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 9,985

Hi, resurrecting a classic. I have a 1975 and the previous owner did not have the car set up to shut off the fuel pump when the engine is off. I’ve made a short wire to ground from the tab on the relay board, just like the red wire in the photo. Under my fuel tank in the front, the original wires are powering a pierburg pump. I’m not clear what I need to change in the wiring connectected to the pump to make this work?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Pdr1787
post Jun 5 2020, 07:05 PM
Post #36

Sneaky Pete

Member No.: 10,779
Region Association: Southern California

Hi everyone,

Long story short, someone cut my main harness to rig up my car to work. The relay board was toosed as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) .Now I have rewired and fixed the main wiring harness. bought a relay board and ignition harness (I have a carb set-up now). I do not see any wiring leading to the fuel pump. How do I go about this?? Thanks in advance

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:45 PM