Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is this the death knell? (Oil light on when hot)
PDXMike
post Jul 11 2015, 12:17 PM
Post #1

Slowly Learning

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,501
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I was creeping along in traffic the other day, about 89 degrees out, when my oil light started to flicker on whenever I dropped the RPM's a bit when engaging the clutch. I've always been able to make this happen if I REALLY lugged the engine down, just about stalling it, but this was unusual. It started to get the point when letting the RPM's anywhere below idle (900 or so) the light would come on, and it would even blink a little at idle.

Luckily I was at my destination so I just shut everything down. I checked the oil (which was fine) but the dipstick was so hot I could barely hold it even using a crumpled up paper towel.

I towed the car home and let it cool down. When I started it up to pull it in the driveway everything was back to normal. The oil light turned off quickly after start-up and would even stay off for a second or two after I stalled out the engine.

How bad is this? It could be something as simple as the oil pressure sender, right? It doesn't HAVE to be horrible, does it? Or should I be thinking about what kind of great upgrades I'll make during my rebuild?

-Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jul 11 2015, 12:35 PM
Post #2

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Do a compression and leak down test then report back with the numbers.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
stugray
post Jul 11 2015, 12:45 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 11 2015, 12:35 PM) *

Do a compression and leak down test then report back with the numbers.
?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Or measure the oil pressure and see how low it is getting.

If you dont have an oil pressure gauge, then you probably have only the stock pressure switch that will come on when the pressure gets really low (like < 4 PSI)
If you have a non-stock switch (like the VDO dual sender unit) then the switch might turn on below ~10 PSI.

HF has this kit that threads right into the oil pressure port by the dist:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.harborfreight.com-10819-1436640339.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
maf914
post Jul 11 2015, 12:53 PM
Post #4

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

I suggest you check your oil level before you do anything else. What type and weight oil are you using?
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Jul 11 2015, 01:28 PM
Post #5

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(maf914 @ Jul 11 2015, 09:53 AM) *

I suggest you check your oil level before you do anything else. What type and weight oil are you using?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) before you call the morgue and order up an autopsy, consider how old is the oil? Is it possibly fuel fouled? Is it multi-weight 20W50? It's kind of normalish, sort-of or at least not unheard of for the oil light to come on at idle. The oil pressure that triggers the light is very low, 8psi I think? Chris Foley has developed a fix for this I hear. Maybe he'll speak up...
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 11 2015, 01:59 PM
Post #6

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The owner's manual says that it is normal for the oil light to flicker at warm idle. I personally think that it's a sign of a somewhat tired motor, at least under "normal" circumstances. It sounds like you got things a bit too warm--barely able to handle the dipstick with a paper towel is probably closer to too hot than too cold.

If yours was flickering (not on steady) at below idle RPMs, that's even less of a concern than if it were to happen at idle.

Change the oil and see if this happens again. If it does, then I suggest buying or borrowing one of the dipstick oil temp gauges so you can see how hot things are getting.

--DD
+Quote Post
PDXMike
post Jul 11 2015, 02:33 PM
Post #7

Slowly Learning

Can I get the oil pressure switch off with a deep socket? What size? The biggest thing I have is 7/8 and that won't even go down over it.
+Quote Post
PDXMike
post Jul 11 2015, 02:35 PM
Post #8

Slowly Learning

Oil level is fine. I'm using conventional 10-W30.

QUOTE(maf914 @ Jul 11 2015, 11:53 AM) *

+Quote Post
Cj Honeycutt
post Jul 11 2015, 02:51 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,020
Region Association: Southern California

Oil pressure switches get tired from pressure and thermal cycling and need replacing (especially after 40 years!) . Oil pressure relief valve springs even more so. Try removing the oil pressure relief valve and spring, and adding a 1/16 shim between the valve and spring or spring and retainer. It is quick and easy. Examine the valve for signs of hanging up (lengthwise scratches in the direction of travel) and if scaring has occurred, replace valve. You don't need to buy a special tool to remove the valve, a tap (perfectly clean) that just fits inside it will hold it nicely for you to pull out.

Racer Chris (I think) supplies and improved valve and spring (or someone on here does). Good luck !

+Quote Post
Ian Stott
post Jul 11 2015, 03:10 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,635
Region Association: Canada

I really think you should change your oil and use 20-50, the Joe Gibbs or Brad Penn. read the articles here about oil, won't hurt a bit and you will be glad you did, I think you are using too thin of an oil for our engines. I have the oil pressure relief valve from Chris Foley at Tangerine racing, you might want to check that out as well. Change your oil now!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Jul 11 2015, 03:53 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

10-30 is too thin for those temps change your oil to 20-50, Valvoline vr racing, most flaps carry it. in the summer I run strait 50wt oil in all my aircooled engines
+Quote Post
gfg3
post Jul 11 2015, 04:21 PM
Post #12

Never Too Old

Member No.: 18,295

QUOTE(injunmort @ Jul 11 2015, 05:53 PM) *

10-30 is too thin for those temps change your oil to 20-50, Valvoline vr racing, most flaps carry it. in the summer I run strait 50wt oil in all my aircooled engines

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Summer temps above 85 degrees require 20W50 or thicker regardless of which brand you prefer. I use Valvoline VR racing here in Virginia and all is OK.

G
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 11 2015, 04:36 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(injunmort @ Jul 11 2015, 04:53 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) 10w30 is too thin for that situation. Engine is probably fine. Try 20w50 or something like that.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jul 11 2015, 04:45 PM
Post #14

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

+1 on 20-50.

How hot is your motor running?
+Quote Post
Cj Honeycutt
post Jul 11 2015, 05:59 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,020

Thermostat working ? Flaps/Doors all the way open ? Someone mention fuel pollution to the oil already. Happens a lot with carbs percolating when shut off when floats not adjusted correctly or in bad shape. Fuel pressure too high for carbs ?? (If it has carbs). Timing not advancing enough.....

Anyway, agree with all about oil! Needs to be changed right now. Straight 30W with high Zinc is fine if on a budget for summer driving, just warm it up a little on cold mornings.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jul 11 2015, 06:29 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Oil is waaaay too thin.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 11 2015, 06:51 PM
Post #17

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

The dip stick was extremely hot? Any discoloration on the dip stick? I've actually melted the end off a dip stick. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Drain a few oz's oil through a shop rag to look for metal debris. Definitely check the oil pressure with a mech gage like Stugray shows before you go off the deep end. The better test is the leak down like Curt said.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jul 11 2015, 07:38 PM
Post #18

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Oil is getting too hot for it's viscosity range...
+Quote Post
PDXMike
post Jul 11 2015, 08:38 PM
Post #19

Slowly Learning

Cooling flaps are open. Dip stick is not discolored. The oil is a LITTLE darker than it was, but not bad. Hopefully it didn't get too hot.

I will change out the 10W-30 for 20W-50. I'll run the first bit of old oil through a rag to look for metal fragments.

I now have the HF oil pressure gauge but not the 15/16 deep socket to take out the pressure switch. I'll get that tomorrow and see how the pressure looks.

After all of that I'll do a compression check just to see what's going on. It was pretty good a couple thousand miles ago, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the help!!!!

Mike

+Quote Post
cpavlenko
post Jul 15 2015, 10:23 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 14,400
Region Association: Southwest Region

I was told to use Chevron Delo 15/40 for summer and Valvoline VR1 10/30 for winter. what do u guys think about this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:46 AM