Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is this the death knell? (Oil light on when hot)
Elliot Cannon
post Jul 15 2015, 02:06 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

QUOTE(cpavlenko @ Jul 15 2015, 09:23 AM) *

I was told to use Chevron Delo 15/40 for summer and Valvoline VR1 10/30 for winter. what do u guys think about this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

I use Mobil 1 15W50 year round.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
cary
post Jul 15 2015, 06:08 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I live in PDX with 4 air cooled cars. I use Brad Penn 15-40 in the winter and 20-50 in the summer.
I think Discount Import parts has both Joe Gibbs and Brad Penn.

I use Mobil 1 V-Twin in the 3.2 911 engine.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 15 2015, 06:49 PM
Post #23

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I had a similar thing happen to my 928 engine in the Alien half way across country. Gauge started to drop and act funny. It was blazing hot out. I bought a plane ticket and flew home got the trailer. When I arrived home I pulled the engine thinking I damaged something. Pulled the pan and discovered what looked like coal slag but when you picked it up it crumbed and turned into a black smudge. On a hunch I brought a oil sample to a forensic testing facility. The oil was clean (no metals) but had the viscosity of 30wt. I posted the results of the test on the Rennlist forum. The consensus was I cooked the viscosity enhancers out of the oil. There were guys that reported the use of Castrol GTX 20/50 doing the same thing in sport bikes in 3 laps. They refer to it as Castrol Brown. When it cooks it turns the inside of your engine a brown tint.

I never did pull the engine apart. I put the pan back on, changed to Brad Penn and ran the shit out of it.

I have now collected the parts to add an external cooler. I guess the oil is getting hotter than the coolant.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 05:05 PM