Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Horn set up with Momo wheel
ChrisReale
post Jun 7 2003, 08:35 PM
Post #1

Sleazy

Group: Members
Member No.: 176

Ok, I figure its time to get my horn working before some a-hole drives over me in their Hummer.

Put a Momo wheel on a few months back, swapped the horn ring onto the wheel, hooked up the one wire that worked for the stock wheel, and no horn. I turn the wheel left or right I got horn. Finally removed the horn relay. On the back of the horn button there is two tabs to hook wires up to. One goes from the stock horn ring to one tab. What do I do with the other. Ground it? Where? What have you done with it?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 7 2003, 09:28 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

the horn button is supposed to ground itself. mine has metal clips on the side to snap in. they provide the ground connection, IF your adapter is metal all the way. if not, you need to find ground.
the adapter usually grounds through the steering column.

you should be able to test your horn setup by grounding the wire that goes to the horn button manually while turning the steering wheel. the horn should go off at any position ...

sorry, don't have pictures,
Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Jun 7 2003, 09:55 PM
Post #3

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271
Region Association: None

I couple of options..

1. Check the back of the horn button. Some have two spade connectors. One is labeled ground and one is for the button itself.

if this is the case then your ground to the adapter the ground spade connector and connec the thru-wire for the horn ring to the other spade connector.

2. Another of my Momo buttons has only one spade connector, but also a large metal coil spring coming out of the back. This comes into contact with the hub adapter housing and provides ground.

I prefer horn button 1
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Jun 7 2003, 10:08 PM
Post #4

Sleazy

Group: Members
Member No.: 176

Thanks Andy and Karl, I got it to work.

Turns out, the horn was grounding itself out at the point where the wire goes into the horn ring. I wrapped it up with electrical tape. Also, the spring that is supposed to touch the colum on the back of the horn button was not long enough, so i ran a wire to the column, and it works now. Now all I have to do is figure out how to makethe horn sound like a Chebby horn :cursor:
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Jun 7 2003, 10:11 PM
Post #5

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271
Region Association: None

Mash the Porsche logo down (in).

If it doesn't move, then you have to mess with the spring inside.

It can easily come apart. Just disassemble it and you can see how the spring action works.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:06 PM