Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oversized Main Bearings, What is next?
Jesco Reient
post Jul 22 2015, 06:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,690
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have been absent from the 914 World for quite a while, I have been doing research on a couple of projects. My wife and I adopted a 356 to restore and that has me learning new things. We are still offering Line bore services for the Type IV Crankcase. But to be absolutely honest bearings are always an issue now. I'm not happy with what is available for the Type IV, For several reasons one of which is sizes available. This has caused me to start looking at custom manufacture of a high quality custom main bearing set. One area we are looking at would be for 0.75MM and 1.0MM Plus sizes on the case bore as I'm starting to see the necessity of this in the parts coming in.

I am just wondering how many out there would need such a bearing?
John
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jul 22 2015, 07:59 PM
Post #2

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

There is some need for oversizwd typeIV bearings. It you are doing it for the money look at 911 bearings where you havecto find a crank to go with what bearings are available.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 22 2015, 11:32 PM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 22 2015, 09:59 PM) *

There is some need for oversizwd typeIV bearings. It you are doing it for the money look at 911 bearings where you havecto find a crank to go with what bearings are available.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
At this time the T4 bearing is not so hard to find and I'd have to think a custom bearing would be too high of a price point.

The 911 bearing market would be more lucrative, but be prepared as those boys will be very critical on the metallurgy and tolerances.
Plus it's hard to think a company like Supertec who makes some of their own cranks wouldn't put out their own bearings. Might be more to it and there could be a lot of liability on high end builds.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 10:09 AM