Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche 914/Subaru svx build
914forme
post Feb 3 2017, 03:26 PM
Post #61

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 2 2017, 11:00 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 2 2017, 10:41 PM) *

?

I don't think I bought your calipers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Right after Hershey. Check your usps priority boxes. I only want them back if your plans have changed. Or if I'm just making all this up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) it could happen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

Oh yeah I forgot about them, they went onto a different project.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Feb 3 2017, 03:40 PM
Post #62

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154

QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 3 2017, 04:26 PM) *

?

I don't think I bought your calipers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Right after Hershey. Check your usps priority boxes. I only want them back if your plans have changed. Or if I'm just making all this up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) it could happen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

Are those the calipers I have from you Stephen?

If so, the fronts are unused.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 3 2017, 04:27 PM
Post #63

QUOTE(Amenson @ Feb 3 2017, 04:40 PM) *

?

Nope, He could use them if he used a 3.5" strut. Ones I got from Mark where 3" So yeah Mark, slap some 3.5" struts on and Scott's got you covered.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 3 2017, 09:51 PM
Post #64

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 3 2017, 05:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Amenson @ Feb 3 2017, 04:40 PM) *

?

Nope, He could use them if he used a 3.5" strut. Ones I got from Mark where 3" So yeah Mark, slap some 3.5" struts on and Scott's got you covered.

No problem. I'll find some more M calipers. I'm already donating some 3.5" struts to a good cause.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 20 2017, 03:13 PM
Post #65

914-6 GT in waiting

I ground down the stumps from the roll cage. Doesn't look like much but it took a while. Especially in the engine compartment. Unfortunately, the welded in pads are going to stay. It's just too much work to remove them. Maybe one day.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 20 2017, 03:18 PM
Post #66

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Uh, I hate to ask but is that a rust sensor screwed into the long? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 20 2017, 03:41 PM
Post #67

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Looks like a seat belt bolt
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 20 2017, 03:41 PM
Post #68

914-6 GT in waiting

Just the seat belt bolt and a wire. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jan 9 2019, 09:40 PM
Post #69

That's opposite lock!!

Had an interesting discussion going so I moved it to the proper place...

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 5 2019, 02:42 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 5 2019, 01:46 PM) *

Scott the flip is not hard, some of the stuff just needs to moved to make it happen, like we talked about. Once you see the EG you will know. The IRIS system is what clutters up the flip.

I don't think You're going to have an issue with it. It is very easy if Mark is not going to have AC in the car, becomes harder if Mark is.

Workshop is looking great, let me know if there is anything you need from me to help these along. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Yeah I know of 5 little round items you need all ready (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

I don’t want to turn this into a thread for my car but...I do want a/c & heat. I was hoping the bulkhead mount might make things a bit easier with positioning but that might not be the case. My plan is not to micromanage the build but to turn it over to Scott A and let him do his thing. The only challenge I see with the build is Scott likes to build to a high standard for both looks and functionality and I’m looking for a good running conversion but not a showcase car. I’m sure it will work out. The nice thing is with my car is there is no fresh paint to worry about.

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 5 2019, 06:33 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Fresh paint, and yes this is about PorSTI, we just started talking about EG33 intake flips. I am a huge proponent that the bulkhead mounts for the EG, if anything it allows for even better positioning of the engine giving the clearance needed for the flip.

Mark I am sure a build thread will be started to discuss your car, once the process starts.

Oh, don't worry your car will be built to a high standard for looks and functionality...efficiently.

Getting the engine sitting properly in the available space is key. Ditching the cradle will help a lot and I think that we should consider a shortened oil pan. Lowering the engine should open up enough space to flip the manifold so that we can shift the engine back and get the axles straight (and use an electric motor AC compressor maybe) or leave it as is keep AC either way keeping the trunk uncut. It would be a shame to hack it up after spending the time to install the the donor trunk section.

PorSTi has a shortened pan from Outfront but I am not sure if they do one for the EG. If not small car has a nice cast aluminum EG pan.

Tom wants heat on Grey also so I added connections to the radiator lines for it. I have concept for a heater but Grey doesn't have all of the air diverters and stuff installed for mock-up and quite frankly I need to end scope creep on the project so so that Tom can have it back in time to have the opportunity to do final assembly before spring. We can develop it on your car.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 9 2019, 09:51 PM
Post #70

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Amenson @ Jan 9 2019, 10:40 PM) *

Had an interesting discussion going so I moved it to the proper place...

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 5 2019, 02:42 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 5 2019, 01:46 PM) *

Scott the flip is not hard, some of the stuff just needs to moved to make it happen, like we talked about. Once you see the EG you will know. The IRIS system is what clutters up the flip.

I don't think You're going to have an issue with it. It is very easy if Mark is not going to have AC in the car, becomes harder if Mark is.

Workshop is looking great, let me know if there is anything you need from me to help these along. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Yeah I know of 5 little round items you need all ready (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

I don’t want to turn this into a thread for my car but...I do want a/c & heat. I was hoping the bulkhead mount might make things a bit easier with positioning but that might not be the case. My plan is not to micromanage the build but to turn it over to Scott A and let him do his thing. The only challenge I see with the build is Scott likes to build to a high standard for both looks and functionality and I’m looking for a good running conversion but not a showcase car. I’m sure it will work out. The nice thing is with my car is there is no fresh paint to worry about.

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 5 2019, 06:33 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Fresh paint, and yes this is about PorSTI, we just started talking about EG33 intake flips. I am a huge proponent that the bulkhead mounts for the EG, if anything it allows for even better positioning of the engine giving the clearance needed for the flip.

Mark I am sure a build thread will be started to discuss your car, once the process starts.

Oh, don't worry your car will be built to a high standard for looks and functionality...efficiently.

Getting the engine sitting properly in the available space is key. Ditching the cradle will help a lot and I think that we should consider a shortened oil pan. Lowering the engine should open up enough space to flip the manifold so that we can shift the engine back and get the axles straight (and use an electric motor AC compressor maybe) or leave it as is keep AC either way keeping the trunk uncut. It would be a shame to hack it up after spending the time to install the the donor trunk section.

PorSTi has a shortened pan from Outfront but I am not sure if they do one for the EG. If not small car has a nice cast aluminum EG pan.

Tom wants heat on Grey also so I added connections to the radiator lines for it. I have concept for a heater but Grey doesn't have all of the air diverters and stuff installed for mock-up and quite frankly I need to end scope creep on the project so so that Tom can have it back in time to have the opportunity to do final assembly before spring. We can develop it on your car.

Like I said, I’m not going to micromanage the build. I’ll just sit back, watch and be surprised. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Jan 10 2019, 09:20 PM
Post #71

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460

mark, looks like me and you, or you and i, may have some jack stands available for sale in the near future (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 10 2019, 10:02 PM
Post #72

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jan 10 2019, 10:20 PM) *

mark, looks like me and you, or you and i, may have some jack stands available for sale in the near future (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

What will I use for my other 5 project cars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Right now the chassis is sitting on 2-6x6's so turning into a roller is a springtime project - way too cold in the workshop right now. So i'll just continue getting parts together.

+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jan 11 2019, 12:00 AM
Post #73

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Unfortunately, the EG33 in my Syncro Westy took a dump and I had a conversion done to a 2.5. I've got a polished intake, nearly new crank pulley, reversed coolant manifold and a small car oil pan for sale; plus other misc parts. Haven't even thought about prices but very fair. PM if you're interested.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jan 11 2019, 04:48 PM
Post #74

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 11 2019, 01:00 AM) *

Unfortunately, the EG33 in my Syncro Westy took a dump and I had a conversion done to a 2.5. I've got a polished intake, nearly new crank pulley, reversed coolant manifold and a small car oil pan for sale; plus other misc parts. Haven't even thought about prices but very fair. PM if you're interested.

Is the small car oil pan the short version? How far down from the bottom of the block does the oil pan sit?

+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 19 2019, 01:33 PM
Post #75

Scott I have one in the shop if you want me to measure it.

I hope it is not on the engine the is on the mockup stand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 19 2019, 11:02 PM
Post #76

While in the shop I dug out my Smaller oil pan, had not even opened the box. Pan is interesting to say the least, cast aluminum, looks decent.

Attached Image

But what I found inside made none too happy.

Attached Image

What is that crap at the bottom of the pan? And who the hell fixes a mold with duct tap, and then uses it to create the sand cast? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Well I found the crap at the bottom of the pan, I had small car modify the pickup tube. Now that I know what they did, I might have to redo this one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image

And well that explains the crap in the pan. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

It is inside the pickup screen also.

Attached Image

Hard to see but that crap is in there.

So Scott I would recommend you modify the pickup your self if your using this pan. I will keep this one out of the car and most likely use the one from my my running engine to build another one.

And to answer the question.

Attached Image

4 1/8" from flange to table. You can figure out clearances from there. Being cast AL, I might drop an Aluminum Skid plate under it.Just to make sure I don't lose it some how. VW has cast AL pans on some of the Jettas, and well the wife cracked one hitting a man hole cover, right place right time sort of thing.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 20 2019, 08:44 AM
Post #77

914-6 GT in waiting

I didn't think a shallow oil pan was needed on a svx build.
Stephen - Did they use drywall paste to "glue" it together?
I'll have to find the engine and trans at the shop.
God knows where the guys hid a bunch of Suby parts in a Porsche shop.

You guys are getting me excited again about this car.
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Jan 20 2019, 08:49 AM
Post #78

Member No.: 18,779

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 19 2019, 09:02 PM) *

While in the shop I dug out my Smaller oil pan, had not even opened the box. Pan is interesting to say the least, cast aluminum, looks decent.

Attached Image

But what I found inside made none too happy.

Attached Image

What is that crap at the bottom of the pan? And who the hell fixes a mold with duct tap, and then uses it to create the sand cast? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Well I found the crap at the bottom of the pan, I had small car modify the pickup tube. Now that I know what they did, I might have to redo this one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image

And well that explains the crap in the pan. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

It is inside the pickup screen also.

Attached Image

Hard to see but that crap is in there.

So Scott I would recommend you modify the pickup your self if your using this pan. I will keep this one out of the car and most likely use the one from my my running engine to build another one.

And to answer the question.

Attached Image

4 1/8" from flange to table. You can figure out clearances from there. Being cast AL, I might drop an Aluminum Skid plate under it.Just to make sure I don't lose it some how. VW has cast AL pans on some of the Jettas, and well the wife cracked one hitting a man hole cover, right place right time sort of thing.

Idk why the pickup tube was done like that. Ive met the welder they get to modify all of those pickups (he does hundreds at a time) and all of them are just tig welded. Ive never seen one he’s made, including the one i got personally, thats looked like that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) you must’ve really gotten the oddest of ones out. I also didnt junk in my pan when i got it, though I don’t remember the duct tape in the casting or not.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 20 2019, 08:51 AM
Post #79

914-6 GT in waiting

Sold the coldwater cradle a while ago.
Here's the firewall mount that I picked up from JRust.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jan 20 2019, 02:22 PM
Post #80

That's opposite lock!!

Stephen,
Thanks for the measurements and pictures...that pickup modification (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
The depth is the same as my Outfront modified pan on the Porsti.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 20 2019, 09:44 AM) *

I didn't think a shallow oil pan was needed on a svx build.
Stephen - Did they use drywall paste to "glue" it together?
I'll have to find the engine and trans at the shop.
God knows where the guys hid a bunch of Suby parts in a Porsche shop.

You guys are getting me excited again about this car.

It is not needed, plenty of guys have made the stock pan work. Lowering the engine a few inches really opens up space up top where everything is cramped. Even on the EJ engine it blows me away how much better the engine sits in Porsti compared to Grey, more like the stock engine. Also, I would have had to cut the trunk to make the starter fit in Porsti if the engine were not lowered.

We should use a lowered pan on your EG. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:48 PM