Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what to do? NEED YOUR VOTE !, Should I convert? Restore to Original?
Dave_Darling
post Jul 29 2015, 10:14 PM
Post #41

914 Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Beebo Kanelle @ Jul 29 2015, 08:04 PM) *
OK guys, as long as we're getting esoteric, wouldn't the 4-lug rotor/brake system result in a lower unsprung weight? allowing faster transient response and a lower rotating mass?

That's quite correct, the -4 brakes are lighter (both in rotating and non-rotating mass) than the -6 ones. Narrower wheels are generally lighter than wider ones, as well.

However, you will often find that people interested in performance will tolerate the extra weight for extra brake heat-sink capacity and a wider contact patch.

I do know people who have been very successful on the track with the -4 brakes, but they were either rules-constrained or were very intent on making the car as light as possible.

--DD
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 30 2015, 01:28 AM
Post #42

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

A lot of subjects will have debatable points, like when the which brand of oil do y'all recommend, or what tires are best come up? If I were AXing, or even spirited back road driving (which we probably all do at one time or another) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif) - with 200hp in a 2k lb car, I'd definitely upgrade the 70's era VW solid rotor braking system ... JMO

Good luck with whichever path you decide to go down (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 30 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #43

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

The braking industry's reasons are based on theoreticals. Assuming more aggressive driving on the street, which given the amount of traffic in my city would be stupid. Or track use, which many drivers don't do. We should be safe assuming Porsche addressed sporty driving and autoX when it spec's the brakes.

I'm not against brake upgrades, as I've done a few of my own vehicles when the stockers let me down.

Drilled rotors have the same misleading reputation. A few people do it wrong, see failure, freak out and tell everyone about it while the majority don't have problems.

As far as weights, PMB / Eric Shea did a comparison, plus added a bit about lightweight calipers. I forget exactly what he said.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 30 2015, 08:46 PM
Post #44

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

I hear ya, and I still run solid rotors on all the P-cars, but I don't have 200hp behind my butt. Even the factory '6's only had 110hp back then.

The only one I drive even halfway aggressively is the 'BB' with maybe 125hp. I had planned to drop a 2.7L 'S' non-Cali motor into the '72 5-lug I sold a couple of years ago ... rears were still solids, but the the fronts were vented, and that was 175+/- hp at the flywheel.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 31 2015, 06:50 PM
Post #45

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

Can't really use a factory -6 as a comparison. Porsche used off the shelf Porsche parts building their 914. Same era 911 is what +600lbs? Same 20mm rotors as the early 944 @ 2500lbs. Plus Porsche had track aspirations for it.

Does my type of driving lead to brake fade? Yes, upgrade brakes or change driving style.

My car started as a base model with Rivieras. I ended up with a full Carrera front susp with cross drilled 24mm rotors. Someday I might need to do a 120-0 hard stop, but that's my driving style.
+Quote Post
Beebo Kanelle
post Aug 14 2015, 08:02 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 15,177

well, its been a few weeks working with the sputnik (name for the 914) and, here's the observations:

1) brakes sticking (Front Ones only) - I've taken the calipers them off. remove any surface rust and viola! 90% success! they still don't feel the way the used to. a few more heat cycles may do it.

2) D-Jetronic... Really? who invented this? cleaned all the connections. much improvement. starts easily, initially runs well, but now there seems to be a degeneration in its operation. stumbling / general loss of power / steady idle, but less and less power. I'm gonna pull the injectors and check them. after that, I am suspicious of the triggering contacts in the distributor. all vacuum lines are good, spark is good, and fuel pressure is good.

otherwise all the electrical seems good (except my reverse lights cease all operation)

also of note is whilst all the parts are new or powder-coated, the new bolts are steel! no plating, no protection... I can see they're gonna have to be replaced.

any and all comments / observations / shared similar experiences are appreciated.

and, has anybody fitted aftermarket injection systems on these engines?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:56 AM