Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Interior a little closer to done. Still need to figure center console. Pg 2 for pics, Installed new drivers & passenger seat. Started on center cushion changes
JRust
post Jul 30 2015, 12:05 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Okay so a report on my 914. Drove it first to golf this morning. No problems there. Tee'd off a little before 8 so still nice & cool. Driving from there to work it was warmer as it was around 12:30. It was fine on the highway only getting up to 180 or so. Once I hit town with stop & go traffic. I creeped up to 210 which my car has never gotten over 200 even in the hottest weather. I knew my fans weren't kicking on. I got to work fine without it going past 210. Opened up the front trunk with my car running at 210 & no fans going. Both are plugged in separately so didn't think they were tied together. Used a cordless drill battery to see if the fans were actually working. One was dead & one worked. I have 10" fans. After plugging the working one back in it came on fine with the other out of the picture. Went down to the auto parts store for a new fan. Pulled a 12" out & there was just enough room for it. So I installed a 12" fan. Giving me one 10" & one 12" fan. Bam not going over 195 now even in stop & go. Let it idle for a bit too & once the fans kick on around 190 it doesn't go any higher. So problem solved there

So next on my list. I really like having the space for my feet without the center console in. Considering making a new custom center console. Debating what I want to do in front of the shifter. I kinda like ending it down low & having a round front just past the shifter. Plus adding a little height to the arm rest. It is to low for me so really does't count as an arm rest. I want to make it taller but not go as close to the shifter. Thinking of getting it closer to 8" at max height. Then going no more than 12" from the back pad. Going to do some testing with height & how close it is to the shifter. Don't want something that will affect my shifting in any way. So 8" may be to tall but the depth will matter to. With my suby & cable shift setup. I also need it to have a good 1"-1 1/2" clearance on the bottom. I do have an AFR gauge & a working clock I would need to find homes for. Also considering adding a small 6" sub up front if I keep it closer to the stock center console setup. Weighing all my options & open to other's setups. If you;ve made a custom center console setup. Please feel free to share here
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 30 2015, 12:35 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Great to hear you solved your fan problem- thought about giving you some tips last night but knew you'd have it figured out before too long, and now you've got a big 12 inch in there to bat for you! It's about time you got some quality seat time after your woes at WCR- the body work session at the hotel was some great education for me and others as well. Looking forward to seeing you at RRC! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
cary
post Jul 30 2015, 07:15 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608

I too like driving the car without the console. I took the one out of my 911. My restoration project wont have one either.

No design ideas though .............. Sorry

I'm going to add an onboard AFR to my DD. So it might change my mind. The only thing that comes to mind is the two gauge gadget that folks have replaced the ashtray with.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 30 2015, 11:36 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Yeah looking forward to Red Rocks. Hoping to get my A/C all working by then but we'll see. Probably stick my stock center console back in for now. Going to get some wood to play around with idea's though.
+Quote Post
rgolia
post Jul 30 2015, 11:59 AM
Post #5

GeoJoe

Member No.: 11,329
Region Association: North East States

I made this back in the 70's. Had the gauges in a bracket that was attached to the bottom of the dash. It was good for holding road sodas and your feet had some breathing room....especially needed when wearing winter boots. Now that I mainly drive in the good weather the center console is back in.Attached Image
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Jul 30 2015, 12:42 PM
Post #6

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704
Region Association: Southern California

.............this made me think of the thread that discussed adding a light in the cabin that shows when fan is on/off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 30 2015, 01:20 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Jul 30 2015, 11:42 AM) *

.............this made me think of the thread that discussed adding a light in the cabin that shows when fan is on/off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Don't remember that thread but not a bad idea. A small little LED that hides in a guage. Oh maybe let my high beam dbl as a fan light (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 30 2015, 01:58 PM
Post #8

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Jul 30 2015, 11:42 AM) *

Yep, that was me. Just got around to buying a LED green light. Remember to locate the light so when in darkness so you won't be blinded when driving.
Hey Jamie, I forgot you are adding AC. LMK if you want to swap notes. Kent
+Quote Post
rgolia
post Jul 30 2015, 02:10 PM
Post #9

GeoJoe

Member No.: 11,329
Region Association: North East States

Yep that red switch lit when the fan was on. It also allowed me to have the fan on and throttle back the amount of air coming in by closing the damper. Had to have it for winter driving in the city....had two fans so I would be warm on NE 0 degree days and I could get the windows to defrost sort of. Fond memories. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Jul 30 2015, 05:00 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 30 2015, 01:20 PM) *

Don't remember that thread but not a bad idea. A small little LED that hides in a guage. Oh maybe let my high beam dbl as a fan light (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

High Beam indicator is required in Texas for inspection - not sure about Oregon and there is no inspection where I live in Colorado (other than VIN when you register the car).
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 30 2015, 05:05 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

I wouldn't ditch the high beam indicator. WAs just thinking might be able to use it to dbl up. Hardly use my high beams. Fans would probably only be in use during the day. Plus it is a really small light in my Speedhut gauges. Not really necessary to have but kinda like the idea
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 30 2015, 05:51 PM
Post #12

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

The 75-76 plastic gauge frame has idiot lights that 70-74 steel frames don't. I have a Nissan cluster so I used two of the many spare warning lights to show when the 2 fans are on. Connected to the fan relays. They make panel mount leds that would work as indicators.

The 70-72 cubby hole / half center console isn't too bad when pulled back.

The 916 has a nice gauge holder that drops down from the lower dash pad.

I'll make a full center console someday after the car is driving, and I decide which of the following items will be installed with it; 8" tablet, subwoofer, amp, stereo, open storage, hidden storage, cup holders, switches.

My foot rubbed a hole in the carpet already, so I'm seriously looking into moving the gas pedal over 1" and bending the brake pedal 1".

1/2" particle board, fits CDs because it's that old...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/lh3.googleusercontent.com-431-1438300318.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 3 2015, 09:46 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Okay took a nice drive out to the coast for work today. Well sort of. Needed to drop something off small so decided to stretch the legs on the 914. Was a nice drive out & back. My idle has been running a bit high at around 1500 rpm. Though my cable was getting hung up. Played around with it some. Nothing changed so started checking other things. Found a vacumn line with no hose on it. Covered it with my finger & wall. Idle drops back to 900. Must has snagged the little rubber cap when I was messing with it the other day. Put another on & all is well.

On another note I was getting parts for my little nissan crew cab truck I picked up. Going to be my sons once I finish fixing the front end. Just need to install the new grill & corner lights. Anyway while I was there I saw a nice looking pair of seats. Really sat low to the ground. I though hey maybe they could work in my 914. Definitely more comfortable & hug my rear better (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . Set them in my car & they really sat a good 6" higher than stock. This was with the mounts on it which sit up higher. I take it back inside & ask how much. Guy says $300 so I say sorry not worth that to me. Kinda doubt I can make them work. Guy says it's saturday & the boss is gone. What do you want to pay? I say $20 & the guy laughs. So I say okay I really don't know if I can make them work. For $150 I am willing to try. Anymore than that & I won't waste my time trying. He agree's so I take them home. Took the sliders off it & it really drops it quite a bit. I am going to add a little metal as the tracks are 14 1/4" on the 914 bolt to bolt (side to side). The new seat is 16 1/4" side to side. So I'll add a metal strip up front that spans side to side. The rear the seat drops through so I will just weld a tab extending each side an inch. Here are some pics of the seat from different angles & in the car. Won't fit in the back pad so think I may carpet the firewall. Time will tell once I get it to work I will see what I like.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 3 2015, 09:48 PM
Post #14

914 Guru

Seats are out of an MX-5 & are really light

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 3 2015, 09:49 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

couple more. Damn I need to resize these. To dang big

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
Hank914
post Aug 3 2015, 10:55 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 17,215
Region Association: None

"Okay took a nice drive out to the coast for work today."

Which way, Newport or Walport?

I'm going to have to pay you a visit, and then maybe we take the Walport road up to Mary's Peak.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Aug 4 2015, 07:35 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

remove the rear pad, cover bulkhead/firewall with grey/black Perlon.
more lightness and more room
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 4 2015, 07:59 AM
Post #18

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Wills (movequick) teener looks pretty damn sharp with the perlon back pad. Check it out, Jamie.
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Aug 4 2015, 09:53 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 4 2015, 06:59 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Wills (movequick) teener looks pretty damn sharp with the perlon back pad. Check it out, Jamie.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Makes for a lot more room in there
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Aug 4 2015, 10:51 AM
Post #20

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

honda del sol perhaps?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:24 PM