Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Darn wiper switch,driving me nuts, Electric pump setup a bit lost
porschetub
post Jul 30 2015, 04:49 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

I converted my wiper washer pump sometime ago because I'am using a 996 spacesaver,PO had supplyed 924 wiper switch #111953 519G with the car but not wired in,hence the questions
Pelicans how-to is a little vague in this are area,the Electroclassic EV site was some help.
This is a six wire switch, 4 of those are in the wire guide...all cool,2 others are red/black and brown both look like hot wires,it seemed logical to me ? to feed the red/black into the fifth spare slot in the wire guide...it does go to a corresponding mate in the female plug on the fifth lower pin.
I would seem that the spare brown wire is now redundant???,correct.
The EV site mentioned that the 5th wire in the female plug isn't live so my idea is to trace it back and wire to the wiper fuse for a supply....follow me? or is that wrong?.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Valy
post Jul 30 2015, 10:29 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

There you go:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=117014
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 31 2015, 01:38 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Attached Image
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 31 2015, 10:49 AM) *

I converted my wiper washer pump sometime ago because I'am using a 996 spacesaver,PO had supplyed 924 wiper switch #111953 519G with the car but not wired in,hence the questions
Pelicans how-to is a little vague in this are area,the Electroclassic EV site was some help.
This is a six wire switch, 4 of those are in the wire guide...all cool,2 others are red/black and brown both look like hot wires,it seemed logical to me ? to feed the red/black into the fifth spare slot in the wire guide...it does go to a corresponding mate in the female plug on the fifth lower pin.
I would seem that the spare brown wire is now redundant???,correct.
The EV site mentioned that the 5th wire in the female plug isn't live so my idea is to trace it back and wire to the wiper fuse for a supply....follow me? or is that wrong?.

Thanks but appears a little differant to what I'am doing,my old 'air switch is toast so can't mod that with the leaf contact.
The newer switches use diffearant wire colours and are not phisically the same as the 924 one.
Just not interested in a remote switch,have attached pic of the 5 pin connector on the right of the pic as seen of EV site.
Will read on whats here and see how I go,cheers
+Quote Post
Valy
post Jul 31 2015, 10:36 AM
Post #4

You probably stopped reading after the first post.
I ended up using the same switch as yours.
The pump wire is not in the harness. Is an additional wire external tonthe harness. The extra wire in the connector is for the intermittent relay. Some people mistakenly think that can be used to power the pump but it will not work for that unchanged.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 31 2015, 02:06 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Valy @ Aug 1 2015, 04:36 AM) *

You probably stopped reading after the first post.
I ended up using the same switch as yours.
The pump wire is not in the harness. Is an additional wire external tonthe harness. The extra wire in the connector is for the intermittent relay. Some people mistakenly think that can be used to power the pump but it will not work for that unchanged.

No have been reading till my eyes hurt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
Found this other pic,so you mentioned that 'A" is the one to power off ?,I certainly have switching there with my meter as tested so that appears correct.

Attached Image
You mentioned that the extra wire in the female plug for the intermittent can't be used as it is ? or is it just a PITA to wire in to a power feed that ?,I have the wire there but no relay under the frunk,thanks for your help,cheers.
+Quote Post
Valy
post Jul 31 2015, 04:36 PM
Post #6

If you have no relay and don't intend of using one, you could use that wire but it only goes half way. You will also need to modify the switch so the A wire goes to the extra pin instead of the intermittent one.
I strongly suggest you get a relay and wire it in place. Even more, get the VW programmable one and use the schematics I published.
This has 2 advantages:
1. you get intermittent wipers operation.
2. The wipers will automatically work few times when you trigger the pump.
It might look complicated but it's really simple.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Jul 31 2015, 05:48 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Valy @ Aug 1 2015, 10:36 AM) *

If you have no relay and don't intend of using one, you could use that wire but it only goes half way. You will also need to modify the switch so the A wire goes to the extra pin instead of the intermittent one.
I strongly suggest you get a relay and wire it in place. Even more, get the VW programmable one and use the schematics I published.
This has 2 advantages:

Thanks again for your time,no short cuts always use relays when needed,would like all functions working besides,my only other issue is to reassemble the 924 switch that came apart.....
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 5 2015, 03:24 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 1 2015, 11:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ Aug 1 2015, 10:36 AM) *

This has 2 advantages:

Thanks again for your time,no short cuts always use relays when needed,would like all functions working besides,my only other issue is to reassemble the 924 switch that came apart.....

Got bogged down on the electrical after repairing the 924 wiper switch and then found it was toast,it appears the contacts are bad as I got the wiper to move once and then nothing,on reflection the switch was in pretty poor condition to start with...
One good thing having all the column apart I did get the high beam working (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) .
So in disgust I did some work on my gearbox then reached an end to that as I need a part to finish.
Back to the switch,I have the old air one and now think I will add the switching contact (thanks for tip Valy) ,besides I can't find another switch in my country ...so far.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Aug 5 2015, 08:53 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

This switch will give you both intermittent wipers and a hot wire for the electric pump.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 5 2015, 09:26 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 6 2015, 02:53 PM) *

This switch will give you both intermittent wipers and a hot wire for the electric pump.

Think thats the one I have....anyways,mucked around and found no power to wiper fuse with key on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ,put a jumper on the permanant live side of the fuseboard to the wiper fuse and all is working,pump works fine with relay installed.
I previously blamed the 924 switch after I repaired it ..not the case.
I'am really pleased but wonder whats the cause,the wiring is in amazing condition with no hack jobs , this car hasn't had power run thru anything for 16yrs....ha ha maybe thats why (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .
WHY is the wiper curcuit dead with the key on,have checked and checked again fuse,earths battery conections............someone please help before lose it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 8 2015, 03:57 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 6 2015, 03:26 PM) *

Think thats the one I have....anyways,mucked around and found no power to wiper fuse with key on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ,put a jumper on the permanant live side of the fuseboard to the wiper fuse and all is working,pump works fine with relay installed.
I'am really pleased but wonder whats the cause,the wiring is in amazing condition with no hack jobs , this car hasn't had power run thru anything for 16yrs....ha ha maybe thats why (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .
WHY is the wiper curcuit dead with the key on,have checked and checked again fuse,earths battery conections............someone please help before lose it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

Still no luck ,anyone add any idea's,thanks
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 13 2015, 12:14 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 9 2015, 09:57 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 6 2015, 03:26 PM) *

Still no luck ,anyone add any idea's,thanks

Got it sorted bad connection in the ignition switch plug,switch tested 100%,cheers.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:05 AM