Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Bad Ignition Switch
57lincolnman
post Aug 11 2015, 06:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,175
Region Association: Southern California

Has anyone had problems with replacement ignition switches? I replaced mine in 2012 and now three years later I have a failed ignition switch. Fortunately, this time it failed in my driveway completely immobilizing (no spark... nadda). The pattern seems to be that high temps in the interior cause the plastic casing to split. I'm putting a "fail-safe" button in a discrete location that will start the car should this ever happen again.

If anyone has a source for quality ignition switch, please pass it on. Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Mike Bellis
post Aug 11 2015, 06:57 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

The "new" Chinese switches cannot handle current flow very well. Most likely carbon buildup on the contact points. if you buy another, install relays for the ignition and starter positions like a modern car. No body builds high amperage switches anymore unless you pay big money and it won't be the type of switch you need.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Aug 11 2015, 07:09 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(57lincolnman @ Aug 11 2015, 05:44 PM) *

Has anyone had problems with replacement ignition switches? I replaced mine in 2012 and now three years later I have a failed ignition switch. Fortunately, this time it failed in my driveway completely immobilizing (no spark... nadda). The pattern seems to be that high temps in the interior cause the plastic casing to split. I'm putting a "fail-safe" button in a discrete location that will start the car should this ever happen again.

If anyone has a source for quality ignition switch, please pass it on. Thanks.

I replaced mine with the one from Pelican.

So far this Summer it's okay. I have the relay on my starter so we'll see.

I original one failed also in hot weather but it looked to be the original.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Aug 11 2015, 08:06 PM
Post #4

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have been trying to problem solve an intermittent no spark no start stall condition in my car all week, can a failed ignition switch still crank fine with no spark. I have ruled out the electronic ignition as it works fine when bench tested, relay board and distributor pickup are the only other possible things that may be suspect.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Aug 11 2015, 08:22 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

You might want to try switches made by Meistersatz. Parent company is CRP that makes parts in US, Canada and Mexico. They have been around for 50 years. They also are making TS and Wiper switches under the CRP brand. That is the switch I am using. Meyle is made in China.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 11 2015, 08:25 PM
Post #6

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 11 2015, 07:06 PM) *

I have been trying to problem solve an intermittent no spark no start stall condition in my car all week, can a failed ignition switch still crank fine with no spark. I have ruled out the electronic ignition as it works fine when bench tested, relay board and distributor pickup are the only other possible things that may be suspect.

Yes. Due to arching on the contact just like a set of points. Not only can you have carbon build up and stop continuity but the contact points can melt. This is why a relay is better. Bosch relays are rated at 30 amps. ignition switches are not and quality has suffered with the economy.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Aug 11 2015, 08:51 PM
Post #7

It all happens so fast!

I think i will pull apart some old steering columns and dig out the switches then and see what happens...this all manifested itself last weekend when washing the car I got moisture in the dizzy, I cranked the shit out of it trying to start it. When I dried out the dizzy it fired right up and drove it for about an hour on my way to car and coffee, after it sat for a few hours I had the no spark condition start up, did get the car restarted and home but don't dare drive it now as it starts sometimes and not others will stall after it starts and runs for a only a few minutes now.
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Aug 12 2015, 08:22 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The "cheap" ignition switches only last me about 2 years. I've got a genuine Porsche switch on order from Germany through Pelican...hope it holds up longer (it better at $40).

If the Porsche switch doesn't do it, I'll be installing a relay on the starter.

+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Aug 12 2015, 08:57 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Aug 12 2015, 08:22 AM) *

The "cheap" ignition switches only last me about 2 years. I've got a genuine Porsche switch on order from Germany through Pelican...hope it holds up longer (it better at $40).

If the Porsche switch doesn't do it, I'll be installing a relay on the starter.

I've been saving this Beck/Arnley switch for the '72 I am restoring.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rdgabert
post Aug 12 2015, 08:58 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 18,050

Hello,

After hearing horror stories about the cheap aftermarket switches I also ordered an OEM switch from Pelican.

It takes a little longer to get it from Germany but hopefully it lasts another 40 years, like the original.

Robert
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Aug 12 2015, 09:21 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Aug 11 2015, 07:51 PM) *

I think i will pull apart some old steering columns and dig out the switches then and see what happens...this all manifested itself last weekend when washing the car I got moisture in the dizzy, I cranked the shit out of it trying to start it. When I dried out the dizzy it fired right up and drove it for about an hour on my way to car and coffee, after it sat for a few hours I had the no spark condition start up, did get the car restarted and home but don't dare drive it now as it starts sometimes and not others will stall after it starts and runs for a only a few minutes now.

Definitely change out the ign switch, we just had similar intermittent gremlins like yours ( '76. 2.0)...cured with the new switch . This is a daily driver, on our new v8 build it will be a push-button start (with relay >>good tip Mike).
Hey Chap...go easy with that garden hose (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Marty
+Quote Post
patssle
post Aug 12 2015, 10:36 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 10,741

I rerouted the starter through a push button that can handle the amps. Less current flowing through the ignition switch and less wear and tear too.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Aug 12 2015, 10:52 AM
Post #13

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

http://mail.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=241272
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Aug 12 2015, 10:53 AM
Post #14

It all happens so fast!

I just spent the better part of the morning playing around with it, i got it to start wiggled a few wires around the relay box area and it would stall, also pushed on the steering column wire connector on the back, I pulled the 14 pin connector off the relay board and cleaned up the contacts there was some white and green junk in them, plugged it in and car started and ran for about a half hour without any stalling, wiggled all the wires and key i could not get it to fail. Still dont trust it, will have to try and retry to see if it fails, if it is the switch i should again. i am going to order a new one just because i should.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Aug 12 2015, 07:45 PM
Post #15

It all happens so fast!

Everything seems to be working now, started the car off and on throughout the day no problems, took it for a ride and ran like it should. Time will tell but I must of put something in order.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 13 2015, 12:34 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 12 2015, 02:22 PM) *

You might want to try switches made by Meistersatz. Parent company is CRP that makes parts in US, Canada and Mexico. They have been around for 50 years. They also are making TS and Wiper switches under the CRP brand. That is the switch I am using. Meyle is made in China.

Pelican have them in stock now,Meyle....what were they thinking move production to China then forget about quality control and just sweep it under the mat.
Well documented on the net with the Audi and BMW guys.
Not like the parts got cheaper,a lot of aftermarket stuff is a crapshoot these days however.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 13 2015, 08:08 AM
Post #17

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

This is all the more reason to install a relay, whether it be the Ford solenoid (IMHO best) or the bosch ghia horn relay.
+Quote Post
Kansas 914
post Aug 13 2015, 08:42 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 373
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 13 2015, 08:08 AM) *

This is all the more reason to install a relay, whether it be the Ford solenoid (IMHO best) or the bosch ghia horn relay.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

It becomes a non-issue with a solenoid.
+Quote Post
pda914
post Aug 13 2015, 10:48 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 11,966

Put in a new switch then add a relay to drive the solenoid. The relay is now the sacrificial part and will be cheap and easy to replace.

The solenoid has a 30 amp in-rush current and by the nature of things is very inductive. It will then spark on release which will destroy the switch contacts eventually. I destroyed mine when doing a megaquirt conversion where I was starting it a-lot to do the tuning. It also wasn't in good shape when I got the 914, I had an occasional problem with the switch. No problems now with a new switch driving the relay which drives the solenoid.

+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Aug 16 2015, 12:29 PM
Post #20

It all happens so fast!

Yep, it's the switch looky.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:05 PM