Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Calling all straight F students..., Don't ever give up
BigD9146gt
post Mar 1 2005, 08:10 PM
Post #1

OCD member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,502
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

I was never good at homework. I liked being in school learning, just never could remember any of it when the time came to barf it back to the teacher. This is an email my old man sent me, he's a pretty sucessful mechanical engineer who also didn't do all that well in school. Enjoy.

Charles Kettering invented no knock self-starter, diesel locomotive and paint for cars.

Intelligent Ignorance:

The more education you have the less likely you are to become an inventor. The reason why is this: from the time a kid starts Kindergarten to the time he graduates from college, he will be examined two or three times a year and if he flunks once, he’s out. Now an inventor fails 999 times and if he succeeds once, he’s in. An inventor treats his failures simply as practice shots.

He believed a problem was more than willing to be solved provided the researcher remembered who was boss, by which he meant the problem, not himself. The only difference between a problem and a solution, he used to say, is that people understand the solution. Solutions only involve a change in perception, since the solution must have existed all along with the problem itself. A researcher, he argued, was there not to master the problem but to make it give birth to its solution.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Mar 1 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,432

im just too stubborn to admit theres a problem.
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Mar 1 2005, 09:21 PM
Post #3

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271
Region Association: None

Miles isn't real!

Sorry. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Mar 1 2005, 09:22 PM
Post #4

Shriveled member

In all seriousness, higher education doesn't mean squat these days.

Heck, even Bill Gates said that High School was a waste nowadays.

Some of the most successful people in the world are immigrants, and people with only a high school education. They have drive, willpower, and determination. They know what it is like to start with nothing and achieve greatness.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 1 2005, 09:23 PM
Post #5

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Neither is Santy Claus....
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 1 2005, 09:23 PM
Post #6

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Oh wait...is it time for the ass crack pic?????
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Mar 1 2005, 09:49 PM
Post #7

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Sometimes an invent stuff by accident
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Mar 1 2005, 09:54 PM
Post #8

It all happens so fast!

eye
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Mar 1 2005, 09:57 PM
Post #9

It all happens so fast!

There is hope for me after all.
+Quote Post
MattR
post Mar 1 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Qarl @ Mar 1 2005, 07:22 PM)
In all seriousness, higher education doesn't mean squat these days.

Heck, even Bill Gates said that High School was a waste nowadays.

Sorry, but thats a load of crap. For the 99.999% of the population that isnt going to be insanely rich, an upper level education gives more job security. True, some college graduates live on the street and some high school dropouts are multi billionairs, but can you really use anecdotal evidence to say upper level education is a waste?

Ive had people give me crap in school all the time about not using the equations I learn in every day life, but its the skills aquired and understanding of forces (in my case) that make an upper level education A RESOURCE for being a quality engineer, in my opinion. But Im a kid, dont listen to me...

-Matt
2nd year Mech Engineer
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Mar 1 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

(I am a professional electrical engineer with an MSEE).

Oh and by the way, kids in school these days can flunk many, many, many, many times and still stay in school. I wonder what kind of problems that creates?

+Quote Post
MattR
post Mar 1 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Flunk many many many times? NOT TRUE. Trust me, I read the fine print (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

At UCI you can retake only 4 classes while at UCI. At UCSB any grade below a C is not passing (so a C- is a not pass).

Each quarter we must remain above a 2.0 gpa or we go on academic probation (must get above a 2.0 next quarter with no C-s or you're kicked out). And if you go below a 1.5 gpa any quarter you can be disqualified from any UC and not let back in. In addition your total GPA in major courses (in my case MAE courses) has to be above 2.0. So basically a C average is the MINIMUM to not get kicked out. If after 4 or 5 years your GPA isnt above a 2.0 you will not get your degree. And after 5 years of school, you're kicked out. You can not go for a 6th year as a regular full time student (you have to go to UC Extension or summer school). Just some tidbits. School aint as easy as you guys think (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Mar 1 2005, 11:20 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I was referring more to elementary school. And don't worry, in college, with grade inflation and the often generous grading curve, it's still pretty hard to actually fail out of school (but I admit it is possible if you try).

+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 1 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #14

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (MattR @ Mar 1 2005, 10:16 PM)
Flunk many many many times? NOT TRUE. Trust me, I read the fine print (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

At UCI you can retake only 4 classes while at UCI. At UCSB any grade below a C is not passing (so a C- is a not pass).

Each quarter we must remain above a 2.0 gpa or we go on academic probation (must get above a 2.0 next quarter with no C-s or you're kicked out). And if you go below a 1.5 gpa any quarter you can be disqualified from any UC and not let back in. In addition your total GPA in major courses (in my case MAE courses) has to be above 2.0. So basically a C average is the MINIMUM to not get kicked out. If after 4 or 5 years your GPA isnt above a 2.0 you will not get your degree. And after 5 years of school, you're kicked out. You can not go for a 6th year as a regular full time student (you have to go to UC Extension or summer school). Just some tidbits. School aint as easy as you guys think (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

tell my pops that his twin masters degrees dont mean squat.
good plan qarl (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/pissoff.gif)
+Quote Post
MattR
post Mar 1 2005, 11:28 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

To reply to this thread I do have to say I dont agree with modern education. So much emphasis is placed on being "well rounded" (as if school can physically teach that anyway), students now days are discouraged from exploring their calling and encouraged to enter a world of rote memorization of crap you dont need to know. This is mostely aimed toward high school, but some of it applies to college classes.
Now, take the inventors of yesteryear. Their schooling wasnt too intensive, or they didnt do well, so they read their own books and were still motivated to learn. Now days students are so burnt out on school we dont want to do anything other then go home and watch tv (or 914club) when we get home. My highschool was classes from 8am until 3pm then on average (good students spent) 4-5 hours a night doing homework. Now tell me where we're supposed to find the time or energy to go read the same books an inventor in the 19th century would have read?
In addition the education system nowdays tries to mask itself as the solution for students. Whats tough to differentiate is that school is only one tool used. If you do well in school you are gaurenteed NOTHING in life. In fact many universities (including top ranked ones like UCI) have little to no job placement programs and do not work with local companies. But I am not going to drop out because simply I would rather have the "tool" of education in my belt. Some disagree.

You can probably tell Ive had a lot to think about while not doing my homework. I am not a straight A student, but also not an F student. I try hard, but not too hard.
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Mar 1 2005, 11:30 PM
Post #16

Shriveled member

I think I may have phrased it wrong by saying higher education doesn't mean squat... I wasn't belittling those with college eductions. I have one... duh!

I guess what I am trying to say is, that often times, the degree of someones success has little to do with their formal education, but rather their real world experience. Those in college will find out that after they graduate, they start the learning process all over again. A higher percentage of the crap you learned in college you'll never use again. Yes... the argument can be made that by going to college you have proven that you can learn, think, and problem solve.

Another point I was trying to make, but failed to get across clearily, is that you don't necessarily NEED a college education to be successful in life...

And... our grade-school and high-school education system sucks nowadays.

Oh... and before more people tell me to piss off... I live in Florida, ranked 49 in the nation for it's educational system. I recently read that nearly 50% of the students currently enrolled in Florida schools will not graduate high school.
+Quote Post
MattR
post Mar 1 2005, 11:31 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Mar 1 2005, 09:20 PM)
I was referring more to elementary school. And don't worry, in college, with grade inflation and the often generous grading curve, it's still pretty hard to actually fail out of school (but I admit it is possible if you try).

I would be scared if 6 year old kids werent given a chance in school... frankly I dont think we should have real schooling until like 10 or 11. Before that it should just be socializing! Whether the government should fund a playground is another topic of another forum (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)

But curves are there for a reason. If there were no curves, EVERYONE would fail. For instance, on my dynamics midterm a few weeks ago the class average was 49 out of 100. My 68 turned out to be an A-/B+. But 30% of the class still didnt get a passing grade. A curve is just more fair. It normalizes the class to account for easy teachers or bad test questions.
+Quote Post
MattR
post Mar 1 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Qarl, Im going to stick with what I said before. If you're talking about the fraction of a percent of very wealthy people in this country (bill gates), a college education wont mean squat, but I'll play by the numbers...
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Mar 1 2005, 11:41 PM
Post #19

Shriveled member

Oh... and for the record... I graduated from the school of Aerospace Engineering at Georgia Tech with my bachelor's degree in '93. (I minored in composites and materials engineering.) When I entered the program, there were 1500 applicants. They accepted only 300. At the end of our sophomore year, the kicked out the bottom 50% of those that were left and told them to switch degrees. Out of the original 300, only 93 graduated. I graduated #11 in my class with a 3.43 GPA.

In 1993, when I graduated, there were an estimated 40,000 unemployed aerospace engineers in the industry.

Even though I participated in the cooperative work/study program with Pratt & Whitney's Military, Space and Government Engines division and accumulated over 2 years of work experience throughout college, I was unable to find a job after 18 months of searching.

360 resumes and applications later, nada...

I now am part owner of a healthcare consulting and medical billing company.

Go figure!

+Quote Post
SLITS
post Mar 2 2005, 12:03 AM
Post #20

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696

Higher education keeps the kids off the streets until a job opening occurs when someone as old as I retires or dies.

BA - Psychology
BS - Chemistry
PhD - School of Hard Knocks (Ouch, oh shit just recieved another lump)

Mystery solved.........................
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 08:44 PM