Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The IMSA 914
rick 918-S
post Sep 5 2015, 08:27 PM
Post #41

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Thanks again Glenn for researching this special time in 914 history. Your book will undoubtedly rock our 914 world.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 5 2015, 09:31 PM
Post #42

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 4 2015, 02:08 PM) *

It's one of the models in that pic from Europe, next to the 914 model like the one he received. Also P-car content, so no foul in my book.

Perhaps the thread could be split, then?

--DD
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Sep 5 2015, 09:43 PM
Post #43

B-)

Member No.: 4,907

Glenn - you da man (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Should be a great book! Please share more here as you can, especially pics!

It would be great to keep going with the accounts of 914s in IMSA, documenting it all in this thread with this title that will come up for those searching historic racing, 914 GTU and IMSA. Some day my bland, 1972 1.7 may morph into a historic racer, if I get enough $$ (hey, I'm a CSOB childish teener owner after all), and doing a tribute car project would be awesome. Restoring a real racer, with history, would be a dream.

Keep living the dream! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
gms
post Sep 7 2015, 10:05 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Rick & Chris thanks for your kind words
+Quote Post
gms
post Sep 7 2015, 10:06 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

I finally have found my very own Altec poster
Thanks Pete!
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Sep 7 2015, 11:23 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

The IMSA information and pictures are interesting and informative. The more of this information I see leads me to think that it would be more advantageous for Adam to restore the authentic IMSA 914 he has as a historic piece. (I've changed my mind)

Adam's 356 story, while interesting too, doesn't belong in this thread.

I believe Adam's historic IMSA racer is his to do with what he wants, but he could have a great historic IMSA race car that would fit right into this thread some day.

Great job on digging this stuff up, Glenn! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
gms
post Sep 7 2015, 11:55 AM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 7 2015, 12:23 PM) *

The IMSA information and pictures are interesting and informative. The more of this information I see leads me to think that it would be more advantageous for Adam to restore the 914 as a historic piece. (I've changed my mind)

Good to hear!
These are really fascinating cars (to me), each IMSA 914 approached a little different.
Some very successful...some not so much
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Sep 7 2015, 12:04 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

I hear Bruce Jennings Speedster has a 906 body now.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Sep 7 2015, 12:35 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

I want to clear up a large mis-conception. It's not that I don't have reverence for the history of this car, I do. I can truly appreciate the significance of it's long history on the track. I even had a very nice conversation with Bob Garretson about the car the other day.
But I'm in the same quandry as everyone else who appreciates this car, while the heart yearns for it to stay true, the wallet can't be hurt. Had anyone really thought this car was valuable as an ex-IMSA car it would have sold sometime in the last 8 years, or at the very least someone would have stepped up and bought it from me. Considering 914/6 conversions running and driving are now in the $25,000-50,000 range this car with the successful conversion and the racing history should command somewhere in the middle of that range. But alas, the market has spoken, while interesting and in some ways fascinating, the history of this car does not in fact add value to the car, and I'm not able to accept having to sell this car for low money and having to pay high money for a 914/6 conversion, the wallet cannot be overtaken by the heart. And apparently, I'm not the only one who feels this way, because there have been no other wallets speaking or opening.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
RAX914
post Sep 7 2015, 01:22 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 17,801

Then name a f@king price already.....that's right.....it's not for sale....
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Sep 7 2015, 01:27 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE(RAX 914 @ Sep 7 2015, 11:22 AM) *

It's not that it isn't for sale, it's that I'm not trying to sell it, if someone wants it, they can buy it. Is that f@king clear enough?
+Quote Post
zambezi
post Sep 7 2015, 01:28 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 8,920
Region Association: South East States

Uh... no
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Sep 7 2015, 01:44 PM
Post #53

Sonoma County Gear Head

Group: Admin
Member No.: 108

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 7 2015, 11:35 AM) *

I want to clear up a large mis-conception. It's not that I don't have reverence for the history of this car, I do. I can truly appreciate the significance of it's long history on the track. I even had a very nice conversation with Bob Garretson about the car the other day.
But I'm in the same quandry as everyone else who appreciates this car, while the heart yearns for it to stay true, the wallet can't be hurt. Had anyone really thought this car was valuable as an ex-IMSA car it would have sold sometime in the last 8 years, or at the very least someone would have stepped up and bought it from me. Considering 914/6 conversions running and driving are now in the $25,000-50,000 range this car with the successful conversion and the racing history should command somewhere in the middle of that range. But alas, the market has spoken, while interesting and in some ways fascinating, the history of this car does not in fact add value to the car, and I'm not able to accept having to sell this car for low money and having to pay high money for a 914/6 conversion, the wallet cannot be overtaken by the heart. And apparently, I'm not the only one who feels this way, because there have been no other wallets speaking or opening.

Adam, you're doing EXACTLY what we talked about all over again, but this time it's in another member's thread. Stop it. Just fucking stop repeating yourself like a broken record.

The car isn't for sale and we've heard the story over and over now. Nobody in this thread is interested. If you want to talk about anything to do with your project then have the common courtesy to do so in the confines of your own 914/904 thread.

As I've stated clearly before, this forum is here in support of the preservation/restoration/use/etc of 914s. What you're doing falls outside the norm and you're causing a shitstorm with some of the site's most valued contributors. You can justify your project however you seem fit but in the end you're destroying a 914. It's your right to do so but don't expect the support of the majority of this forum.

PM me if you have questions. Please do everyone a favor and DO NOT reply in this thread. Move on.

Thank you,

Randy
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 7 2015, 01:45 PM
Post #54

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 7 2015, 02:35 PM) *

Adam,
I don't think it really is a matter of the wallet over the heart or the reverse. For me, it's more of a do-the-right-thing situation. If you truly as you say have some reverence for the history, and the history is bigger than just the car, it's also the legacy of the three who built it and the memories of those who grew up with and loved the IMSA cars - you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. You should have recognized that this is not a car you should use as a cut-up for your project.
I have accepted that you really won't do the right thing so I have pretty much bowed out of this discussion.
As far as Adam not posting here, I think it is alright from the point of view that Glenn is getting lots of quotes for his manuscript as far as explaining what happened to this car.
As far as posting the unrelated article? That's just salve for your self-image. We get it. You think you're pretty cool...
+Quote Post
RAX914
post Sep 7 2015, 01:51 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 17,801

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 7 2015, 12:27 PM) *

QUOTE(RAX 914 @ Sep 7 2015, 11:22 AM) *

It's not that it isn't for sale, it's that I'm not trying to sell it, if someone wants it, they can buy it. Is that f@king clear enough?

Clear....How much do you want for it?
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Sep 7 2015, 01:56 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 7 2015, 11:45 AM) *

Ok, so it's ok for other to post about my car, crack jokes about me and my car, but not ok for me to clear up a mis-conception about what people are saying about me and my car?
Also, when I bought the car I didn't know the IMSA history, the last owner didn't know anything about the car, except he got it from Automotive Archelogy, who had raced it in the 2000's in the mid-west. It wasn't until after I bought it, had it shipped here, and starting pouring money into it that I learned of it's IMSA history.
See this thread is full of assumptions about me.

Adam,
I don't think it really is a matter of the wallet over the heart or the reverse. For me, it's more of a do-the-right-thing situation. If you truly as you say have some reverence for the history, and the history is bigger than just the car, it's also the legacy of the three who built it and the memories of those who grew up with and loved the IMSA cars - you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. You should have recognized that this is not a car you should use as a cut-up for your project.
I have accepted that you really won't do the right thing so I have pretty much bowed out of this discussion.
As far as Adam not posting here, I think it is alright from the point of view that Glenn is getting lots of quotes for his manuscript as far as explaining what happened to this car.
As far as posting the unrelated article? That's just salve for your self-image. We get it. You think you're pretty cool...

Ok, so it's ok for others to post about my car, crack jokes about me and my car, but not ok for me to clear up a mis-conception about what people are saying about me and my car?
Also, when I bought the car I didn't know the IMSA history, the last owner didn't know anything about the car, except he got it from Automotive Archelogy, who had raced it in the 2000's in the mid-west. It wasn't until after I bought it, had it shipped here, and starting pouring money into it that I learned of it's IMSA history.
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Sep 7 2015, 02:12 PM
Post #57

Sonoma County Gear Head

I've PM'd Adam.

Let's get this thread back on track. No more melodrama. If you want to continue the Adam/904 project or anything related to it then please do so on his 914/904 thread or PM him.

Thank you,
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 7 2015, 02:14 PM
Post #58

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 7 2015, 03:56 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 7 2015, 11:45 AM) *

Ok, so it's ok for other to post about my car, crack jokes about me and my car, but not ok for me to clear up a mis-conception about what people are saying about me and my car?

Adam,

Ok, so it's ok for others to post about my car, crack jokes about me and my car, but not ok for me to clear up a mis-conception about what people are saying about me and my car?

I get how you see the situation. If it is true that you didn't know, I understand that as well. However, if it had been me, and I discovered that I had stumbled into an IMSA car with race winning history, I would have felt like I had just found some good fortune. That car is worth far more restored to its former racing glory. In fact, if you want to completely turn around what people here are saying about you, restore it. You clearly have the skills. Use your powers for good Batman!

What if I found James Dean's 550 in a garage, mangled and just as it was the day he died. Do I pull that 4 cam and put it in my sand rail? Or, do I send it off to the Peterson Museum or the Porsche Museum? One makes me an ass deserving of whatever people say, the other? Be the hero Adam. You can always find another car for the 904 project. In fact, I would personally help you find another car.
+Quote Post
RoadGlue
post Sep 7 2015, 02:16 PM
Post #59

Sonoma County Gear Head

My last message applies to everyone.

Move on folks.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Sep 7 2015, 02:56 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I'd love to see another IMSA car here restored back to it's former glory by a skilled person such as Adam!

It can be one more for Glenn's book.
+Quote Post

10 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:50 AM