Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 17" vs 15" wheels pros and cons
moggy
post Aug 23 2015, 01:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,285

I don't seem to see many 914 circuit racers with 17" wheels on. Everyone seems to stick to 15". Is there a reason for this? I'm less bothered about the looks of 17" vs 15", I'm more interested in this from a performance perspective. Who out there has tried both wheel sizes? what size did you decide on, and why?

I personally have 15" (Cookie cutters 7" wide all around)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i31.photobucket.com-3285-1440357310.1.jpg)

and 17" (Cup1 7"front 9"back)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i31.photobucket.com-3285-1440357310.2.jpg)

At the moment, I'm forced to use the 17" on tracks where I need the top speed, due to my low ratio gearbox (a hangup from when it was a rally car). The 17" wheels have a 26" overall diameter. Whereas the 15" wheels are used on slower, twisty tracks.

There is a huge weight difference between the wheels (including tyres) of 32kg (70.5lbs) total, which is an obvious benefit to sticking to the 15 "cookie cutters. But weight can't be the only reason why you circuit racers stick with the 15", so what are your reasons?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JPIII
post Aug 23 2015, 03:06 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,919
Region Association: None

I ran Hoosier R35 Canti on Fuch !5 X 8s up front. The wheel & tire assy each weighed in at 32 lbs. The rears were no longer made 10 X 16 wheels with R35 22.5 X 10 Hosier slicks in back... both were bias plys...the weights were the same. The weight savings alone are a very good argument, IMO. At two sets per season even the bias plys were costly.

It's been a while since I looked at the Hoosier catalog but there were a wide array of 15 & 16 inch race tires available.....much more so than 17 & 18 and those were much more pricy.
+Quote Post
brant
post Aug 23 2015, 08:12 PM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Bigger diameter wheels give you a slightly larger contact patch but also a lot more weight. Modern cars do it for the brakes. Big rotors for overweight cars

You can fit 15s so you don't have overly large brakes. (Unnecessary on Any 914 anyways).

Factory's calibrate suspensions on modern cars to account for this weight.
Old cars need different spring rates (shocks/and more) to take the pounding this kind of weight puts on components.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 23 2015, 08:14 PM
Post #4

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

You can find a lot more tire sizes (Especially wider) in the 17" variety. Most modern performance cars are in this range.
+Quote Post
john914somers
post Aug 24 2015, 12:52 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 14,051

I've been on 17" twists but was thinking about going to 15" merely for the weight and smaller diameter options. An old racer told me that I would be going backwards if I did that and that everybody generally needs to go to something bigger than 15" because of the fitment of bigger brakes. I have a 3.6 and a 915 so I'm probably heavier than most guys and the speeds I'm running I think bigger brakes are a must. I did pick up some 15" Wheels and they don't clear my rotars. Consequently I'm back to looking for some lighter 17's and even considering some 18's but I'm not certain they will fit??? Can someone chime in on 18" fitment? Thanks!
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Aug 24 2015, 09:57 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,985

Let me throw in there too that 17 and 18 inch wheels, even when run with low profile tires, tend to be larger in diameter than 15s. This doesn't work well on older cars due to limitations in how much you can lower the suspension and also inner and outer fender clearance. I've seen 914s and older 911s running larger diameter wheels and having to run the car at artifically high ride height. Seems like a bad plan to me unless you just like the look of the larger wheels and prioritize that over performance.

I run 16" wheels with slicks on my 914 racecar. I've already made changes in the suspension and bodywork to run the car very low with the 16s. I've contemplated running 18s, but I'd have to make more changes to the front bodywork and I'm not sure the 18s would give me a significant performance advantage.
+Quote Post
JPIII
post Aug 24 2015, 10:51 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 18,919

QUOTE(john914somers @ Aug 23 2015, 11:52 PM) *

I've been on 17" twists but was thinking about going to 15" merely for the weight and smaller diameter options. An old racer told me that I would be going backwards if I did that and that everybody generally needs to go to something bigger than 15" because of the fitment of bigger brakes. I have a 3.6 and a 915 so I'm probably heavier than most guys and the speeds I'm running I think bigger brakes are a must. I did pick up some 15" Wheels and they don't clear my rotars. Consequently I'm back to looking for some lighter 17's and even considering some 18's but I'm not certain they will fit??? Can someone chime in on 18" fitment? Thanks!

My 914 weighed in at 1700 lbs. with a 2.7L. It was an AXer. I did consider going to SMALLER rotors rather than the early 911 set up in place. But it was not worth the hassle and need ballast to make XP weight. The brakes were much under worked. Stock 911 street pads & rotors. I ran it in a DE at about 2100 lbs and they got to stinkin' a bit. but worked fine.

The lower of smaller (height) is good for CG. I don't know what you use your 914 for.
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Aug 24 2015, 11:56 AM
Post #8

Big wheels and brakes do look cool to be sure, but they are definitely heavier as well. Personally I don't think 300 hp (which is more than even most heavily modded 914s make) justifies 17 or 18" wheels or huge brakes. Later model cars are a lot heavier and have more horsepower, and need them to go fast. The vast majority of 914s don't, and will probably be faster without the extra weight.
+Quote Post
naro914
post Aug 24 2015, 06:52 PM
Post #9

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

we run 16" on both Huey and Papa Smurf. 993 rear calipers up front work/fit perfect.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 25 2015, 06:40 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316

From a functional perspective, a lower profile tire/wheel combo will provide a different (read "better" to most) experience. Of course, this also has allot to do with factors other than simply the wheels diameter. Tires, suspension, sway bar(s), springs, etc obviously all play a role...

Visually? This is purely subjective...I can make a case either way. Looking "old" versus a slightly more-modern look could be debated ad-nauseam like that stupid 904 thread forever (yes, I un-subscribed)!!!

Here is my steel flared track car on 17's - I can't say it looks bad but I'm sure someone probably thinks it does - I don't care. I actually prefer the look but more importantly - they offer better performance (my opinion only). They "work better" than a 15" wheel and with allot more support/supply of tires and sizes from the manufactures.

Regarding the "weight" issue...how fast do you want to go and how much can you spend? The answer to that question will lead you down several different paths. Light (and larger) wheels are available - $$$$! Not everyone needs larger brakes, as noted in this thread, so budget, HP, intended environment (Race track vs AX, etc.) will go along ways in influencing what the correct decision will be for you.

All the best!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.clubcobra.com-11316-1440510128.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Aug 25 2015, 08:46 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(Cracker @ Aug 25 2015, 08:40 AM) *

Regarding the "weight" issue...how fast do you want to go and how much can you spend? The answer to that question will lead you down several different paths. Light (and larger) wheels are available - $$$$! Not everyone needs larger brakes, as noted in this thread, so budget, HP, intended environment (Race track vs AX, etc.) will go along ways in influencing what the correct decision will be for you.

One point to note about weight in the case of wheels and brakes is that in going larger, you pay more for the additional weight (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) so when using unnecessarily large, you can wind up paying more for no improvement or even a decrease in performance. It is not a simple equation though, since as you note the selection of street and DOT race tires is better in the larger wheel sizes. And of course there are other factors like looks that are obviously a personal choice.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 25 2015, 10:59 AM
Post #12

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(john914somers @ Aug 23 2015, 11:52 PM) *
I've been on 17" twists but was thinking about going to 15" merely for the weight and smaller diameter options. An old racer told me that I would be going backwards if I did that and that everybody generally needs to go to something bigger than 15" because of the fitment of bigger brakes. I have a 3.6 and a 915 so I'm probably heavier than most guys and the speeds I'm running I think bigger brakes are a must. I did pick up some 15" Wheels and they don't clear my rotars. Consequently I'm back to looking for some lighter 17's and even considering some 18's but I'm not certain they will fit???

I have Boxster brakes on my car and they do fit under the 15" cookie cutter wheels i run.

For the track, i use 10" wide GoodYear R250 slicks with those wheels.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
moggy
post Aug 25 2015, 01:10 PM
Post #13

So it seems the only real reason to go for 17" wheels is to be able to fit bigger brakes under there or for maybe better tyre options.

That's pretty much what I thought, but it's always worth a second opinion.

I would have stuck with my 15" Cookie Cutters if it wasn't for the fact that I have a very low ratio box as a hangover from my rally days (e.g. 5th gear is my original 4th). I'm going to put up with the big 17" for a while. At least until I've saved up enough to afford a gearbox rebuild and put some sensible ratios back in the box for circuit racing.

For info here's some weight comparisons of my wheels/tyres:

15" Cookie Cutters (7" wide) with Hankook Ventus 200/580 tyres = 16kg (35.3lb) each

17" Cup1 (7" wide) with Yokohama AD08R 205/50 tyres = 22kg (48.5lb) each
17" Cup1 (9" wide) with Yokohama AD08R 245/45 tyres = 26kg (57.3lb) each
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 25 2015, 01:42 PM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

"So it seems the only real reason to go for 17" wheels is to be able to fit bigger brakes under there or for maybe better tyre options."

There are probably some performance increases to larger wheels when used in certain situations. Probably one reason why wheels got bigger in the first place.

But a 914 suspension is very dated and might not work as well with big wheels as a newer car.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 25 2015, 02:42 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

You wrote:
15" Cookie Cutters (7" wide) with Hankook Ventus 200/580 tyres = 16kg (35.3lb) each
17" Cup1 (7" wide) with Yokohama AD08R 205/50 tyres = 22kg (48.5lb) each
17" Cup1 (9" wide) with Yokohama AD08R 245/45 tyres = 26kg (57.3lb) each

I wrote:
Those CUP wheels are the worst...kind of the equivolent of lead wheels. I had a second set for my Boxster S race car - the rains were on them and were rarely used. I understand that's what you "have" but that's not a realistic baseline for someone else choosing their tire/wheel package (from the beginning).

PS: I don't have larger wheels for the brakes...its the handing and tire choices. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Tony
+Quote Post
naro914
post Aug 25 2015, 02:48 PM
Post #16

Losing my mind...

Huey has 16x8 Fuchs for street wheels, 16x8 phone dials for track wheels. Both are very light, and the phone dials are VERY cheap.

Personally, I think 16's are the biggest that look right on a 914.

Attached Image

Attached Image

then again, some people put V8's in 914's so what do I know... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Aug 25 2015, 02:53 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(naro914 @ Aug 25 2015, 03:48 PM) *

Huey has 16x8 Fuchs for street wheels, 16x8 phone dials for track wheels. Both are very light, and the phone dials are VERY cheap.

Personally, I think 16's are the biggest that look right on a 914.

then again, some people put V8's in 914's so what do I know... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

Some of us actually want cars (with engines) that run...more than four laps! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

...you asked for it!
+Quote Post
naro914
post Aug 25 2015, 02:54 PM
Post #18

Losing my mind...

Huey runs just fine thank you!!
+Quote Post
moggy
post Aug 25 2015, 03:07 PM
Post #19

You yanks and yer V8 conversions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

When are you gonna learn V8's are only good for boat anchors (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
naro914
post Aug 25 2015, 03:11 PM
Post #20

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(moggy @ Aug 25 2015, 05:07 PM) *

You yanks and yer V8 conversions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

When are you gonna learn V8's are only good for boat anchors (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

totally agree!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

both of mine have PORSCHE 3.2 engines in them...one actually works all the time!

BTW moggy...is that you rallying your 914 in your avatar??
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 10:50 AM