Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bosche 009 ???, info please--specs and such
jwalters
post Mar 2 2005, 01:24 PM
Post #1

Sooo Close.......

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) What is the total advance curve for these dizzies?? Ifn they are all the same--

And what is the prudent thing to do, to set them up for a boosted engine???

What would be a good starting total advance??? For 8-10 pounds of boost.....TIA
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Mar 2 2005, 02:21 PM
Post #2

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

The prudent thing to do, esp. on a boosted engine, is use a different distributor. Really.

The 009 has about 10 degrees of distributor advance, or about 20 degrees of crankshaft advance. It appears to either all come in at one whack, or there's this weird step in the curve (I've seen curves posted with this step, but having seen the step with a timing light). You end up with lots of ping in the midrange and too much advance at the low end with these distributors. With any boost, you're likley looking at either running very little advance (poor performance, bad mileage, and perhaps even serious longevity problems), or running some aftermarket boost retard doodad.

I presume you'd doing some carb'd turbo setup? If so, you're fighting an uphill battle from the start. I'd personally not even consider running a turbo on any engine that doesn't have programmable EFI and ignition. If you really want to have a go, anyway, then at least buy a Mallory so you can adjust the curve with readily available parts.
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Mar 2 2005, 03:35 PM
Post #3

Sooo Close.......

I wish I could open up for all the bells and whistles--but no--budget will not allow--so I am working with what I have--

Dual blow thru cannot be all that bad--it has been proven over the last 40 years---particularly with the T1 dudes.
+Quote Post
cha914
post Mar 2 2005, 03:59 PM
Post #4

MUSR 8 - 5lug conversion done wed - drive 500miles thrus

Member No.: 63

J-

if you haven't already go check out the forced induction forum over at

www.shoptalkforums.com

lotsa guys running carb turbo setup successfully, mostly bug guys, but some t4 guys also.

good luck...

Tony
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Mar 2 2005, 04:00 PM
Post #5

Not another one!

QUOTE (jwalters @ Mar 2 2005, 01:35 PM)
I wish I could open up for all the bells and whistles--but no--budget will not allow--so I am working with what I have--

Dual blow thru cannot be all that bad--it has been proven over the last 40 years---particularly with the T1 dudes.

The Bug guys also have $1000 engines they're perfectly happy to rebuild every 50K miles or so, too, and that's w/o a turbo shortening life that much furthur. They also LOVE the 009, so perhaps you should just ask this question on a Bug forum, and you won't get as much "it's trash" comments.

Sorry I can't provide you with more specific data.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Mar 2 2005, 04:19 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

I hear that the type 1 engines need less advance overall than a type 4, and that is why they like em' either that or they get it like a happy meal toy, costs about the same.
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Mar 2 2005, 04:56 PM
Post #7

Sooo Close.......

yea, I thought about going over to the dark side and asking the same question---problem is--they all run T1's---

Ifn I would get flamed here---I would get nuked over there

Yes they have short lives but they run thin wall cylinders and go way overboard with the boost--

That said I really do not mind dropping the heads every 40K or so for a ring freshen--and to poke around and keep it spiffy--it ain't like I cannot pull this motor and have it apart in less than an hour--

I was just liking to keep it all in the family--our family-- (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Mar 2 2005, 05:05 PM
Post #8

914 Guru

You can use a stock DJET dizzy and have the benefit of vacuum advance/retard, which would help with a turbo setup. 009 runs about 35 bucks, an 050 runs about 50. Still in cheap terrirtory. Oh wait, you can get a rebuilt OE type of distributor from your flaps for about 50 bucks and a 1 dollar core charge. Granted it is probably from a type III or something, but it does work (you'll need ot mess with your advance anyhow right?).
+Quote Post
cha914
post Mar 2 2005, 05:10 PM
Post #9

MUSR 8 - 5lug conversion done wed - drive 500miles thrus

Member No.: 63

not all run T1's, several T4 conversion guys are over there...course most of those guys are going to some sort of EFI...

I wouldn't use a 009...at least get a 050...or just stock up on 1.7L engines and treat the setup like the low buck bug drag racers do (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)

+Quote Post
jwalters
post Mar 2 2005, 05:37 PM
Post #10

Sooo Close.......

That is some good advice--I will research it-thanks (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif) -

OK--who here can give me the skinny on on a d-jet dizzy and its functions??? Is that the 050 dizzy?? Or something else???

Pics?? pics???
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Mar 2 2005, 05:38 PM
Post #11

Not another one!

QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Mar 2 2005, 03:05 PM)
You can use a stock DJET dizzy and have the benefit of vacuum advance/retard, which would help with a turbo setup. 009 runs about 35 bucks, an 050 runs about 50. Still in cheap terrirtory. Oh wait, you can get a rebuilt OE type of distributor from your flaps for about 50 bucks and a 1 dollar core charge. Granted it is probably from a type III or something, but it does work (you'll need ot mess with your advance anyhow right?).

Travis, where do you buy an 050 for $50?
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Mar 2 2005, 05:42 PM
Post #12

Not another one!

QUOTE (jwalters @ Mar 2 2005, 03:37 PM)
That is some good advice--I will research it-thanks (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif) -

OK--who here can give me the skinny on on a d-jet dizzy and its functions??? Is that the 050 dizzy?? Or something else???

Pics?? pics???

D-Jet dizzy is the stock unit, the last number is 205 with a letter I now forget. It has vacuum advance AND retard, and D-Jet trigger points. The later ('68-) VW Type 3 also uses a D-Jet dizzy that only has vac advance and trigger points.

The 050 is another 009 like distributor, but with a different advance curve. Some hate it, some love it. Unless Travis comes through with a magic supplier, I think you'll find 050 prices are now up there near Mallory territory. It's out of production.
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Mar 2 2005, 05:48 PM
Post #13

Sooo Close.......

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) Ok--Kool--thanks! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif) Advance and retard---just what doctor turbo ordered!!

Who here has a decent d-jet dizzy they would like to sell me??? I can pay in grapes---- (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) Seriously tho--I know there is a horde of them out there----right??
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Mar 2 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #14

Sooo Close.......

Hey James--what size motor are you running?? Is it carbed?? I could use some guidance on jetting out my webers as a baseline---
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Mar 2 2005, 06:02 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

Do any online parts warehouse for the replacement for the DJET dizzy, they will say it is for a 73 2.0 or whatever, but it is different. Goes for around $50 bucks and there is a core charge (mine was $1).

Maybe I went a little low on the .050 dizzy. but It wasn't more than $70 for sure. I got it from CB Performance a few years back, then sold it to Malmzzzz
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Mar 2 2005, 06:11 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Well I guess I am older and stupider than I thought. CB doesn't list the .050 any more. I remember that I searched for a while and they were by far the cheapest. Oh well, pickup a VW magazine and start lookin' they are going to be far less than a porsche parts house for the same dizzy. Same goes for FI hoses as well.
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Mar 2 2005, 06:15 PM
Post #17

Sooo Close.......

QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Mar 2 2005, 07:02 PM)
Do any online parts warehouse for the replacement for the DJET dizzy, they will say it is for a 73 2.0 or whatever, but it is different. Goes for around $50 bucks and there is a core charge (mine was $1).

Maybe I went a little low on the .050 dizzy. but It wasn't more than $70 for sure. I got it from CB Performance a few years back, then sold it to Malmzzzz

so you are saying for a teener?? or a type 3?? which should I be looking for??

+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Mar 2 2005, 06:28 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

The DJET dizzy, put in a type 4. I dunno what you have out there for parts places, checker, shucks, kragen or whatever big chain. I went in and asked for a replacement distributor for a 1973 2.0 914 engine. What you'll get will look the same as your original, but the numbers and advance curves are a little different.

As for the .050, that is just it "an 050" fits into a type 1, III and IV engine.

I will find a link to a online place, wait a sec
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Mar 2 2005, 06:31 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

Let's see if this will work www.checkerauto.com go to replacement parts, plug in the year make and model and head under ignition. Beck Arnly and Cardone are the major rebuilders of these.

Distributor

For vehicle: 1973 PORSCHE 914 H4 1.7 Liter FI (change)

2 parts found.

Description Availability * Price Buy

Cardone 31915
Reman.; Point Type; w/Bosch Distributor
Lifetime Limited Warranty Ships in 1 day
Weight: 3.3 lbs. $51.99
$1.00 core

Beck/Arnley 1850118
Distributor, Remanufactured: Bosch Distributor; 1 Per Car
1 Year Limited Warranty Ships in 2 days
Weight: 6 lbs. $58.99

+Quote Post
jwalters
post Mar 2 2005, 06:37 PM
Post #20

Sooo Close.......

Kool man---I am sure you would agree with me, when going into your local FLAPS, and asking for parts for a 30+ year old porsche---the alien looks you get, the sinister smirk and jollie sarcastic " oh yea, we GOT it, let me hook you up " belch from the counter person----and if that counter person is less than 28 years old--they look at you with a dazed and confused look on their face just before they summon the manager for help----sometimes I really tuck tail when going into pepboys down the street--when they see me coming they go get Rick---the 90 year old fart that will not die to help me with parts---good thing tho--you would not believe how many porsche 914 parts they can get at better prices than most---it just takes talking to the right person is all--which reminds me---Rick leaves early tomorrow--- (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:16 PM