Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Talimena in the fall., ok, tx, ark 914's
TheCabinetmaker
post Aug 29 2015, 11:21 AM
Post #1

I drive my car everyday

Group: Members
Member No.: 666

Since the MUSR is no longer with us, how about doing talimena in October? We could make it a three day event. Nothing official. Arrive on Thursday night, drive all day Friday and Saturday, and go home on Sunday. As some of you already know, these are some of the best roads in this part of the country. There are tons of unexplored roads in the area. Let's go find them.

For those interested, post a weekend that would be good for you. I know its short notice, but I think we can do it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 29 2015, 05:03 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Curt -

I think I'll be back there 10/9-12 - if that works out to be it, but will need to be in Sallisaw for the Sat/Sun for my Cherokee stuff, so I may swing by one of the Talimina meal stops. But schedule for those there who can actually drive it.

Wildhorse BBQ is in Sallisaw, if you'd route near there? .... just a thought Curt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

BTW - as of now I'm flying to Tulsey Town this Thurs & back to CA the next Tues (but I may decide to rent a car here & drive Wed-Wed+/- instead for more flexibility if I need to stay longer for biz &/or for biz stops along the way, & I'll have a rental car there in either case).

Again I'll be down in Sallisaw for my Cherokee stuff Fri-Mon, but hope we can grab a bite sometime up in Tulsey before or after the long weekend!

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Aug 29 2015, 05:20 PM
Post #3

I drive my car everyday

Tulsey town. I don't hear that much anymore Tom. Your showing your true native okie. My grandfather always called it tulsey. I'm in the shop next week. Let's do lunch or dinner before you head to sallisaw. Never been to wild horse, but we cooked against them a few times on the kcbs competition circuit. I'd drive there just for the Q.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 29 2015, 05:40 PM
Post #4

TMI....

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 29 2015, 04:20 PM) *

Tulsey town. I don't hear that much anymore Tom. Your showing your true native okie. My grandfather always called it tulsey. I'm in the shop next week. Let's do lunch or dinner before you head to sallisaw. Never been to wild horse, but we cooked against them a few times on the kcbs competition circuit. I'd drive there just for the Q.

Hey Curt,

Yeah & I also know all about Roy D. Mercer & have several of his CDs for traveling fun listening! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'll let you know timing when I finalize the travel car or air - need 2 days to drive with stops (+/-24 hrs drive time incl gas/pee stops). Either supper Thurs or Breakfast or lunch Friday may work.

My flight is ETA 5-ish pm Thurs eve. & driving ETA would be similar once I trek up the Muskogee Pkwy. from the I40, so I'd probably stay up there in Tulsey.

I've got a Doc buddy & his wife up there too with whom I usually go out for supper, but he'll also be down in Sallisaw at the Grounds with us too.

Keep me posted on the Talimina stops. My fav Q down there is a little place on the road up to Marble City run by a fellow Cherokee, but it's only open when he wants & last I heard he was closed for a time to care for a relative, so Wildhorse is next best down there.

See Y'all Soon! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
////////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 29 2015, 05:41 PM
Post #5

TMI....

BTW - the 914 looked great in that pic you sent me & those on here! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

TT
///////
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Aug 30 2015, 06:24 AM
Post #6

I drive my car everyday

Thanks Tom. Wait till you see it in person. The transformation is amazing. I'll see you later this week then.
+Quote Post
theleschyouknow
post Aug 30 2015, 07:57 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 15,967
Region Association: None

only thing I know about is a trip for me to Denver either the first or third weekend in October other than that I'd love to meet up
a handful of us did talihena to mena last spring & curts right there some great roads out there!
that's also college football season tho so it may depend on who the frogs are playing that weekend and where!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 30 2015, 10:40 AM
Post #8

TMI....

QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Aug 30 2015, 06:57 AM) *

only thing I know about is a trip for me to Denver either the first or third weekend in October other than that I'd love to meet up
a handful of us did talihena to mena last spring & curts right there some great roads out there!
that's also college football season tho so it may depend on who the frogs are playing that weekend and where!

You know, there are TVs in eateries, pubs & motels along the way - but you may have to wrestle the remote away from the Hog, Sooner, etc. fans along the way ... unless they happen to be playing TCU! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

It's also Rugby World Cup finals in Oct, plus my USA Trojans & Steelers are "in season" ... but we all have to sacrifice for our 914s! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Just wish mine were done & running..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
theleschyouknow
post Aug 30 2015, 11:20 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 30 2015, 11:40 AM) *

QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ Aug 30 2015, 06:57 AM) *

You know, there are TVs in eateries, pubs & motels along the way - but you may have to wrestle the remote away from the Hog, Sooner, etc. fans along the way ... unless they happen to be playing TCU! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

It's also Rugby World Cup finals in Oct, plus my USA Trojans & Steelers are "in season" ... but we all have to sacrifice for our 914s! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Just wish mine were done & running..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Tom
///////

touchè
I just meant we have season tix and try and make the home games with family & friends (I'm sure I could miss one if that's the way it shakes out)

mines on jackstands right now too but really just for a good cleaning so I can really see what's broke or needs attention
I'm going to try and let the carrot of this drive motivate me to finish up already!

Curt I bet your car looks as badass as it scoots with the new paint job can't wait to see it
cjl
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 30 2015, 11:41 AM
Post #10

TMI....

Gotcha on the tiks! Make sure to wear your TCU hat on the run.

I like to wear my SC cap just to rile up my OU rabid fan buddies! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Unfortunately my 914 is in the garage & I'm still searching for some key parts, but hope to get it to the body shop this year. It's been in the garage since May `85 when it was hit by a sorority bimbo in the parking structure while I was in MBA classes all day & mashed both the F & R by pushing it 2' into the wall & 1/2 column, & that was after a $7500 full rolling resto & drivetrain in `80-83 (think +/- $25k today's $'s), while we raised 2 kids (wife's order was to spend the insurance $ on a car with back seats for the kids we'd be starting on).

I started assessments & some rust repairs & dismantling & parts searching in Spring `09, after both kids were grown & gone, but 3 other car projects a vintage trailer & 1921 home refurb keep getting in the way! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I just missed that Fin-& Feather one a few years back (not a Talimina run I know), since my biz trip was on that weekend (I usually tag on a stop in OK for 2nd or 4th Sat. & biz to my other trips). But I do have a T-shirt from it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It would be fun to visit with OK 914ers, even if I'm in a pukey rental car!

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
theleschyouknow
post Aug 30 2015, 01:43 PM
Post #11

way to stick with it Tom I understand how life gets in the way hopefully you can make some progress now that you have some more free time

if we both make it to OK I don't know what my passenger list will be like but if I got a seat you can ride with me -last time the red dog in my avatar was my co pilot I'd give you first dibs over him but if my wife comes ....

And just to gig you back a little I credit the frogs win over SC in the 99 sun bowl as a cornerstone win/moment that has helped them build their program to where it is today -that and GMFP! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

happy football!

cjl
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 30 2015, 02:31 PM
Post #12

TMI....

LOL - duly gigged!

Well all schools have good years & bad years, & when I went to SC in 70-74 we were pretty much unbeatable, & other eras since then. We had a top ranked Rugby side then too, which was when I started playing it in `70-74, & continued thru Div. I Club `til 85-86, & onto Old Boyz in `96 for 26 years.

And then too, some of SC's bad years were due to the crazy way NCAA punishes the not-guilty later teams with sanctions forward, for prior players' past infractions, which is just unfair BS (e.g.: nothing punished Reggie Bush, but several years of younger players suffer under sanctions, etc. with any of the NCAA's actions).

I'm all for fining the offenders - even & especially once graduated & making the big bucks in the pros (are you listening Reggie!?), but not punishing several years of student/athlete kids! Same thing with any college/Uni & any sport & one good reason to not have collegiate Rugby under the NCAA (it's under the national & international sanctioning bodies everywhere, but they have their faults too, not as bad though). ...enough soap box! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

We'd better stop hijacking Curt's topic with all this football talk, but maybe let him know when your TCU home games are to see if it can all work out.

I appreciate the shotgun offer, but I'll be in NE-OK on biz & needing to be in Sallisaw for my Cherokee Ceremonies on the weekend, so I could only maybe try to time things to hook up with all y'all when you're at the start of the run in OK, or if there's a stop on that 1st stretch in OK, before turning south towards Mina.

That's why I said to Curt - plan for those going & (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) & if it works for me, then out I'll try to hook up at the kick-off or along the way to visit a bit with y'all.

Also - yuppers! ... wife 1st or else shield your cajones! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanx again for the shotgun offer! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Aug 30 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #13

I drive my car everyday

I'm single and work for myself. Any weekend is good. I think either the weekend of the 9th, or 23rd would work. Might need to check with our friend Lisa and make sure there is no bigfoot convention in honobia. Lol. Adding a trip through sallisaw on an all day drive is doable.

Tom, I have some friends at the chocktaw stone works in sallisaw. You let those guys in on your Cherokee ceremonies?
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 30 2015, 11:43 PM
Post #14

TMI....

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 30 2015, 03:25 PM) *

I'm single and work for myself. Any weekend is good. I think either the weekend of the 9th, or 23rd would work. Might need to check with our friend Lisa and make sure there is no bigfoot convention in honobia. Lol. Adding a trip through sallisaw on an all day drive is doable.

Tom, I have some friends at the chocktaw stone works in sallisaw. You let those guys in on your Cherokee ceremonies?

No GF Curt?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Yes, if they go to Stomp Dances I suppose they've been there on the big Labor Day Sunday night Dance, as well as Creeks, Chickasaws, Yuchi, Notchee, Seminoles & others. I may have seen & talked with them & not known it, if they go out there. They likewise have their own Grounds & some of my Cherokee buddies go to their Stomp Dances. A lot more of the Indians there are "church goin' " & so won't go out to them, but have their gatherings too.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Aug 31 2015, 04:54 AM
Post #15

I drive my car everyday

Been single for a year and a half Tom. Except for two major surgeries it was a great 18 months.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 31 2015, 11:10 PM
Post #16

TMI....

Curt,

It's looking like breakfast or lunch on Friday.

We have some catching up to do then!

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Sep 1 2015, 05:29 AM
Post #17

I drive my car everyday

Sounds great Tom. Call or text when you arrive.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Sep 4 2015, 05:39 AM
Post #18

I drive my car everyday

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Sep 4 2015, 03:34 PM
Post #19

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

In the spring there was talk of a central Texas ride. I can only make one event and kinda waiting to see if anyone else jumps in on a Texas ride. So. I'm a possibility. Talimena was a blast last spring.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:39 AM