Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Strange Fuel Pump Ground III Problem
LukeD
post Aug 31 2015, 02:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,117
Region Association: None

Came around a hard corner Saturday and the car just died, figured out pretty quick the fuel pump wasn't running so hot wired it to the battery and drove home. after some troubleshooting with a volt meter I determined that ground III on the relay board wasn't grounding, so I ran a ground wire from that to the post ground above the relay board and fuel pump is back working, although it no longer runs for 1.5 seconds like it used to just runs when the key is on.

Looking at Pelican wiring diagrams I can see ground III runs to Pin 19 on the ECU, I have yet to take the ECU harness out and test continuity on that wire (will do so tonight after work) but I can't wrap my head around how it just went bad (other than its 42 year old wiring) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Other than that no other negative symptoms when this happened (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

-Luke
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 31 2015, 03:54 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

How does the bottom of your relay board look? They can (and do) fail.

The FI brain grounds the fuel pump through the relay board, which is why the pump now runs all the time with the key, since you bypassed the brain ground ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ).

There are several threads here on how they fail (soldered connections coming lose) and how to rebuild them.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Aug 31 2015, 04:36 PM
Post #3

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Maybe a corroded electrical terminal? :dunno:
+Quote Post
LukeD
post Aug 31 2015, 06:48 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,117

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 31 2015, 02:54 PM) *

How does the bottom of your relay board look? They can (and do) fail.

The FI brain grounds the fuel pump through the relay board, which is why the pump now runs all the time with the key, since you bypassed the brain ground ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ).

There are several threads here on how they fail (soldered connections coming lose) and how to rebuild them.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Forgot to mention I have 2 other relay boards and tried both, I'm going to pull off the ECU harness and test for continuity
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 06:29 PM