Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Evil Mirror, Dr. Evil, that is!
ThinAir
post Mar 3 2005, 11:43 PM
Post #1

Best friends

Group: Members
Member No.: 231
Region Association: Southwest Region

Yesterday I finally mounted the mirror I got from Mike (aka Dr. Evil). Wow! I just love it! Not only is it nice having the visors tied into the mirror post like a modern car, but the mirror that Mike uses is easy to adjust, clear, and provides a great rear view.

I was gonna put this one on my 73 when it gets back on the road, but it ended up in the 70 after the mirror fell off. Now I can never put a stock mirror back in a teener again so I'll have to get another - that is unless Mike is making good progress on his idea for a mirror with map lights! I might hold off for that. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/drooley.gif) How's it going Mike?

Oh yeah - here's Mike's info. His stuff is wicked! http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=4&t=15897
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 4 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #2

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Well shuks. Thanks for the positive feedback. I am very proud to be part of the positive force on this board.

The map light one is tricky. I have a core, and am in the process of making it, but I believe the price will be prohibitive. If you/I can find a good used core then the price will be about $180. If you want to use a new core then you are looking at about $280 (kinda yikes!) It looks like it will be do able, but I am not sure about how many will want them. I'll have pics with it mounted as soon as I get the other peg to stay put. The mirrors that the lighted ones are based off of have a rubber boot that covers them, instead of just metal which makes for a bit of a bitch getting it to look perfect....stay tuned.
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Mar 4 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #3

Best friends

You are right, at that pricing level I'm out of the running. I'll still be very interested to see the pics! I'll just have to work on alternative door switches that are more reliable and on other ways to light the interior besides that silly light in the back panel.

So put me in line for another like the one I've got. Should I just go ahead and send you the pins?
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 4 2005, 12:23 AM
Post #4

Send me the pins and I'll get one out to you in about a week. No worries, and no real wait. Just don't put the pins in a regular envelope. I just got an envelope from dlo that HAD some pins in it. It arrived with the end missing, even though he paid the extra postage for non machinable (so it appeared). The good news, he was't getting a mirror, just donating parts.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Mar 4 2005, 01:12 AM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Is it just me or has nobody said:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Mar 4 2005, 08:46 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Yoei66
post Mar 4 2005, 10:21 AM
Post #7

My ride

Member No.: 3,682

Dr Evil:
Question on your mirror: Do you modify the visor posts to stay permanently attached to the mirror stay? The reason I ask is because my passenger visor fell down last weekend. It was easy to re-attach, but I liked the added visibility with the targa top off, and no passenger visor there. In fact I liked it so much that I decided to remove the other visor for the drive home. I'm wondering what would happen to the visor posts if I have one of your mirrors, and decide to drive around with the top & visors off again someday.

Yoei66 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Mar 4 2005, 12:10 PM
Post #8

Best friends

There will be pictures tonight when I get home from work!

In the meantime, I need some help from the Dr. I had noticed that things seemed a little loose and figured that I needed to do something different with the screws because they seemed to be holding into just the padding material. All was well enough until I moved the visors to take the pictures, then the screws pulled out!

So Mike... what did you do about screws to hold the new mirror on?
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Mar 4 2005, 12:48 PM
Post #9

Best friends

QUOTE (ErnieDV @ Mar 4 2005, 11:10 AM)
So Mike... what did you do about screws to hold the new mirror on?

Never mind! I had some slightly longer screws with me, but was having a hard time finding the hole in the sheet metal where they are supposed to go. All is good now!

(It must be Friday and my brain is worn out - just like Monday when my brain isn't awake, and Tuesday thru Thursday when my brain just doesn't seem to work like I want it to. Thank God for Saturday & Sunday! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif) )
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 4 2005, 05:10 PM
Post #10

Ernie,
I use longer screws. Good job ;P

Yoei66,
The posts stay permanently attached, but you could always take the end posts off with a screwdriver? I could make one without the posts if you like.
+Quote Post
ThinAir
post Mar 4 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #11

Best friends

As promised, here's a pic. Not as sharp as I'd like - I think I've been looking at Sir Andy's pictures too much - out of focus is starting to look normal!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 4 2005, 08:23 PM
Post #12

Oh man, that looks sweet! I can like my own products, can't I?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 02:34 PM